Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 1, Nikon 0 (at least for tonight!)

We had a little get together for my boss who is leaving our branch to take another position within the site (different building). I had my camera with me to capture these last moments. It was mentioned that another coworker is also big into photography. I had my Sigma 18-35 on my K-5 IIs with grip and he said, "Yeah, but my camera isn't nearly as fancy as yours. I've just got a Nikon, one step above the entry model." That seems like a victory for Pentax.

Although I think the win needs to be shared with Sigma. That lens is a beast that draws attention. It makes me think that the only reason Canonities get so much attention is that all Canon lenses are constructed from hollowed-out bricks. It's seemingly the lens that gets the oohs and ahs, not the brand or camera body.

04-23-2015, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait till the DFA zooms start getting out there. I think those are made from recycled civil war era cannons.
04-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
It makes me think that the only reason Canonities get so much attention is that all Canon lenses are constructed from hollowed-out bricks.
I sort of agree, but my Tamron 150-600 gets the most "he brought a bazooka" comments (verbatim from the recent Civil War reenactment).
04-23-2015, 09:37 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

You guys are scaring me.

Dear Ricoh, pay this conversation no heed. Big lenses are gauche. Passé. Dare I say, they're 20th century.
Keep making those lenses lean and mean.

I too have been encountering more and more people who perceive my K-3, (with Limited attached....), as
looking more 'serious' or 'professional' than the common entry level Canikons they're accustomed to seeing.
They're certainly taken by surprise at how heavy the camera is for its size, again perceiving that weight as
a indication of its robustness, (rightly so).

Pentax has been in the shadows of the Canikon dominance for a long time. Easily 25+ years. I do believe
we're finally seeing a generation who did NOT grow up with knowing a Pentax stigma. To them,
Pentax is a new and exotic brand they have never heard of, or a name they've only heard in passing but
with no actual experience with the brand at all.

04-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
You guys are scaring me.

Dear Ricoh, pay this conversation no heed. Big lenses are gauche. Passé. Dare I say, they're 20th century.
Keep making those lenses lean and mean.

I too have been encountering more and more people who perceive my K-3, (with Limited attached....), as
looking more 'serious' or 'professional' than the common entry level Canikons they're accustomed to seeing.
They're certainly taken by surprise at how heavy the camera is for its size, again perceiving that weight as
a indication of its robustness, (rightly so).

Pentax has been in the shadows of the Canikon dominance for a long time. Easily 25+ years. I do believe
we're finally seeing a generation who did NOT grow up with knowing a Pentax stigma. To them,
Pentax is a new and exotic brand they have never heard of, or a name they've only heard in passing but
with no actual experience with the brand at all.
Wait till Adam gets a wind of this, he'll shut the thread down. He wants his new primes of the f1.4 variety...
04-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is true, i have a lot of Canikon shooting friends if i use the K5/K3 silver with FA* 28-70, 80-200 1:2.8 they are thinking and telling that Pentax is much more pro, which is true...:-) i don't tell them that the lenses are over 15 years old... :-)
04-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Banned

I had that a few years ago doing fieldhockey. One of the dads of the girls Said. ....... I just have a Nikon........

04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes my poor friend only has a new Nikon D750 with really robust tilt screen poor guy. In crop mode he only gets 18 MP but they are pretty big ones.
In all honesty I do get a lot comments when I throw on the DA*60-250 with the 1.4 tc
04-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Heck, my last two comments from people vaguely camera savvy when they learned I had a Pentax was basically a surprised "They're still around!?"
05-02-2015, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Whispered conversation on theatre play about month ago:
"Take the shot! Take that shot! You missed it!"
"Nope. My card is full now." And I changed cards.

During intermission the guy comes to ask what did I use. And I was like "Pentax K-3 with 18-135 kit lens."
And I had those cards again in camera and I showed the pics I took.
After that he curses his Nikon and asks how much my set costs and some specs. After that talk he decides to order K-3 first thing he gets home.

Strange people those wildlife photographers...