Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Can PS Pro Photo X2 remove vignetting ?

Hi all

Does anybody know if 'corner vignetting' can be removed from digital images using Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 ? I have looked through the index of the program, but can find no mention of such a feature, even after researching the subject on the internet ! If the answer to this question is NO, are there any free programs out there which can address this particular issue. Any help or advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Richard

06-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't fount it either, but the pentax photolab does it.
06-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Tom (borno)

Thanks for your swift reply & the helpful info. Are there any other options out there ?

Best regards
Richard
06-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This program works great: PTLens

It's not free, but it's only $15US and well worth it. (IMHO)

06-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

Does anybody know if 'corner vignetting' can be removed from digital images using Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 ? I have looked through the index of the program, but can find no mention of such a feature, even after researching the subject on the internet ! If the answer to this question is NO, are there any free programs out there which can address this particular issue. Any help or advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Richard
Adobe PS3 does it very effectively and does it in RAW as well.

Ben
06-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Ben

Re your suggestion:

QuoteQuote:
Adobe PS3 does it very effectively and does it in RAW as well.
It probably does, but I'm not prepared to shell out such an extortionate amount of dough for PS3 yet.....maybe when I win the National Lottery.....lol ! I'm reasonably conversant with most of procedures that are required to do the job and I simply prefer the way that PSP Photo X2 works. At the price point for which it currently retails, I find it difficult to imagine anything else that comes remotely close to it for sheer 'bang-for-buck' !

Best regards
Richard
06-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Richard,
Does your Sigma 10-20 viggnet? The normal end crop required for 5x7 and 8x10 prints will eliminated slight viggneting. Works for me.

Dave

06-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Dave

Oddly enough, it's not the Sigma 10-20mm that is the problem, but the extreme wide-end of my Tamron 18-250mm which is suffering from occasional trouble in the vignetting department. I have a 'protective' Skylight filter attached to the frontal lens element and can't help wondering if that might have got something to do with this minor annoyance ?

Best regards
Richard
06-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

There is a free plug-in that does it.
MV

Rusty
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Rusty

Do you know if the plug-ins mentioned in that link work natively within Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 ?

Best regards
Richard
06-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Forum Member

Yes, it is acessed from within PSP just like any other plugin. BTW it works well and is simple to use once you read the Readme file that comes with it.

Just copy the plugin file to My Documents/My PSP Files/Plugins. Make sure you have that path speciified in File Locations under Prefernces.

Cheers,
Rusty
06-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Richard:

I’m not sure if this is a silly question, but does it do it when the lens hood is on? When I am at the 17mm range of my 17-50mm Tammy, with the lens hood on in low light, the lens will sometimes vignette. The problem disappears as soon as I remove the hood.

Regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire.”

Mencius 6A:18
06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Ernest

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Does it do it (vignette) when the lens hood is on?
I guess I will have to pluck up courage and experiment a little, because the first thing I always tend to do as a matter of course is to fit a protective filter to each new lens, in order to safeguard the frontal element from unintentional damage !

Best regards
Richard
06-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hi Ernest,

There are two types of vignetting; mechanical -caused by a lens hood, and optical - caused by the characteristics of the lens.

Not much you can do to correct an image which has mechanical vignetting other than crop or clone it out. Removing the lens hood will solve the problem in the future.

Optical vignetting can be corrected with digital editing tools depending on the severity of the problem.

Check out a neat free program here: MV

Rusty
06-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Dave

Oddly enough, it's not the Sigma 10-20mm that is the problem, but the extreme wide-end of my Tamron 18-250mm which is suffering from occasional trouble in the vignetting department. I have a 'protective' Skylight filter attached to the frontal lens element and can't help wondering if that might have got something to do with this minor annoyance ?

Best regards
Richard

Hmmm, my Tamron 18-250 also has vignetting. I've been shooting with the hood on and have been wondering if there's something wrong with the lens. I haven't narrowed it down to specific aperatures or zooms. Anyway, I think The GIMP software (free) has some sort of filter to fix it.