Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Upgrading from K7?

Hello All,

I currently have a K7 that I have been using with mixed results. I wanted to buy a K5 at the time, but opted for a near new K7 body instead as cost was a factor and at that time the K5 was only available new. In most respects the K7 was great, but the low light issue was my only main complaint. Also my pics tended to be more on the dark side at times and in the LCD for preview they always looked really dark, even if in reality they weren't. One of my reasons to go K7 at the time was I was an avid backpacker and rockclimber and wanted a sealed body. For that it was great as I was caught in rain more then a few times.

My upgrade budget is in the $500 or less range. I immediately went online looking for a K5 and found while I have been away the K5ii and K5iis has been released and its old enough that the bodies are in my price range. However I have not been following this site in a while and I see there are other models worth considering. K30 and such. I sold most of my lesser used lenses and only have an old 50mm prime and a Tamron 18-250 that I tend to use the most. I tend not to shoot video on my DSLR as I have far to many gopros for that.

I'd like some advice on Pentax bodies worth considering in my price range of $500 or less. I am willing to give up the sealed body of the K5 option if there is a good reason to do so. I will likely buy a used body on this site or ebay.

On another note, is there a firmware upgrade on the K7? if so any help with the low light issue and what is the rev number? How do I find out what firmware I have now?

Bets regards,

Marc

04-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the launch of the K-3 II, I would expect the original K-3 (used) to shortly fall within your price range. I would go for either the K-3 if you want the latest and greatest, or the K-5 IIs, as an upgrade from your K-7.

The entry-level/mid-range bodies are also very good (i.e. the K-S2 or K-50), but they lack a few features that your K-7 has and I think you'd be happier sticking to the high end product line.

You can learn more about all these cameras on our homepage:
Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-S2 First Impressions Review - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K5 sensor has significantly better low light performance than the K7, there has not been a significant improvement since then. The AF saw a significant upgrade for low light work in the K5 II/s so it is probably what i would go for at that price point unless you would like the tilt screen on the Ks2.
04-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I would advise you to go for the K-3. This is a major upgrade and the K-3 brings a lot of new features.behind the 24 Mp sensor. Dual cards, no back/front-focusing issue (like the K-5), USB 3.0, ...

I have a K-7 and a K-3, and I share my initial thoughts there:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/263120-initial-review-comments-k-7-k-3-a.html
I continue to shoot occasionally with the K-7, but it is mainly a second body.

With the K-3ii announced and the forthcoming FF Pentax body, the K-3 becomes very cost-attractive.

My 5 cents....

04-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The K-5 IIs is the same size as your K-7 (identical?), while the K-3 is a little bigger and heavier. That may be a factor on climbing days.

Otherwise, the K-3 is a better camera in just about every regard, but the clincher for me is the button placement; I have used them extensively side by side at big events and for my way of working the K-3 is close to ideal.
04-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello All,

Thank you all for the great replies. I did a bit of research on the Ks-2 and it may be just the ticket for me but the price is outside my budget. I like the K3 and with the eventual price drop when the K3 II comes out it will be in my price range, but the weight is an issue. Not so much for me, but my wife complains about the K7 already and she uses my camera as well when we are on vacation. So I guess my question is what am I giving up by choosing the Ks-2 over the K5 IIs? What am I gaining? I am not a hard core photographer, but still enjoy bringing a good camera with me on hikes, climbing trips, vacations and such. I dont bring the camera on the rock with me, but its more for the hike in and around the base of the crag. I seem to get along well with the tamron 18-250 but curious if I go the Ks-2 route if I should buy the body only or consider the kit lens since its weather sealed.

Any links to the best price on a KS-2?
04-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The price of the K-S2 will come down fairly quickly I reckon. I agree it would be an excellent choice - smaller and lighter than the K-5 IIs and an even better sensor.

And you should definitely take it on climbs - the articulated screen will also come in handy for those cramped belay ledges. As an aside, I take my Q7 climbing all the time; it might also be worth consideration.
04-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hello Sandy,

I am not leaving for France until 06/23. Do you think the price will drop on the KS-2 by then?

The Q7 you linked to is interesting.

Marc

04-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by addicted2climbing Quote
I am not leaving for France until 06/23. Do you think the price will drop on the KS-2 by then?
I doubt it will happen as quickly as that....

QuoteQuote:
The Q7 you linked to is interesting.
It's so tiny there is no excuse not to have it in your climbing day pack. The 02 and 06 lenses would be all you really need for the vast majority of climbing shots, but I often pack the 03 and 01 as well.
04-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you need WR and don't mind going to a lesser body, consider a K-30 or K-50. Both are weather sealed and have good low light sensors, and will weigh less than the K-7/5/3 bodies.
The DA18-135 is a nice WR lens with IQ similar to the Tamron 18-250 but with a shorter zoom range.
If you don't shoot much in the long end of your Tamron it may be all you need.
04-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

I have K7 now, too. I also want this year to buying another Pentax camera. The Pentax distributor in my country has a strange pricing policy. Now prices are (dollar equivalent) K3 1050USD, K3II 1125USD and K-S2 770USD. If I bought last year, clearly was K3 (it was at almost the same price). Now I think I'll buy K-S2, smaller, lighter, more suitable for hiking, cycling, best at high ISO, articulating screen suitable for difficult angles, at ground level, selfie , I do not really appear in pictures taken by me . I know that KS2 has some limitations with which I hope to get used. K7 remains as alternative use. I expect 2016 or even 2017 for a serious upgrade when pixel shifting technology will be probably more evolved.
My dilemma is whether to buy or not 18-50DAL + 50-200DAL as kit lenses. At the moment I have 18-135 + HD55-300.

When will be published the extended review for K-S2?

Last edited by edri; 04-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.
04-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
My dilemma is whether to buy or not 18-50DAL + 50-200DAL as kit lenses. At the moment I have 18-135 + HD55-300.
You already have the lenses folks would upgrade to from the dal kits, so no reason to get those. Invest instead in a nice prime lens.