Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2007, 04:22 AM   #1

Pentax RAW (PEF) and IPTC

Do the Pentax RAW files support IPTC data?

Seems the Pentax software isn't supporting IPTC. If this is correct other programs that do would be using unofficial routines, or am I missing something?

I've a K100D

02-04-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not an expert, but I believe, the IPTC data is not part of the RAW file itself. but is stored in an XMP sidecar file that is created by whatever editor you are using. At least that is what Adobe does.

So to more directly answer your question, if I am correct, It is more a failing of the the Pentax Software rather than the PEF file.
02-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
baw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I'm not an expert, but I believe, the IPTC data is not part of the RAW file itself. but is stored in an XMP sidecar file that is created by whatever editor you are using.
Afaik IPTC (and EXIF) are embedded in the image by definition. XMP just summarises IPTC, EXIF and some other info. The XMP data can either be embedded in the file and/or written into a sidecar file.

When buying the K100D I took RAW IPTC support for granted, given that Pentax also aims at professional photographers. So far it seems I was wrong.....
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
Do the Pentax RAW files support IPTC data?

Seems the Pentax software isn't supporting IPTC. If this is correct other programs that do would be using unofficial routines, or am I missing something?

I've a K100D
The Pentax software does not support IPTC, but the image file does. You have to use a program that applies IPTC, which Pentax Browser does not. I add it in Bridge with no problem.

02-05-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
baw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The Pentax software does not support IPTC, but the image file does. You have to use a program that applies IPTC, which Pentax Browser does not. I add it in Bridge with no problem.
I had a look at Bridge, but didn't see a way to embed IPTC in the file.
Only the IPTC Core seems to be supported by using XMP sidecar files.
How do you write IPTC into the file?
02-05-2007, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

I had a look at Bridge, but didn't see a way to embed IPTC in the file.
Only the IPTC Core seems to be supported by using XMP sidecar files.
How do you write IPTC into the file?
Bridge will not write to a PEF file, but uses sidecar files.

If you don't like sidecar files, you can convert PEFs to DNGs, which Bridge will update.

dave
02-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Ah, yes, I have used DNG for so long that I forgot that point. One of the original reasons I switched to DNG long ago.
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Do the Pentax RAW files support IPTC data?...
I've a K100D
I don't think that the camera adds any IPTC data.

I use Adobe Lightroom to add image titles, captions and keywords to my image files (mostly PEF/Pentax Raw). When I export these images to another folder on my hard drive, saving them as JPEG at the same time, and then open the JPEGs in Picasa, the keywords and the captions are there, too. I assume the title is still there in the file, but Picasa doesn't seem to recognize image titles. When I upload the images from Picasa to Picasa Web Albums, the captions and keywords stay with the images. So it's clear to me that these IPTC properties are indeed being carried in the files.

What I do not know is whether the IPTC data structure is embedded in the file by the camera or added by Lightroom. My guess would be the latter.

Will

02-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
baw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

I use Adobe Lightroom to add image titles, captions and keywords to my image files (mostly PEF/Pentax Raw). When I export these images to another folder on my hard drive, saving them as JPEG at the same time, and then open the JPEGs in Picasa, the keywords and the captions are there, too. I assume the title is still there in the file, but Picasa doesn't seem to recognize image titles. When I upload the images from Picasa to Picasa Web Albums, the captions and keywords stay with the images. So it's clear to me that these IPTC properties are indeed being carried in the files.
Hi Will

If I understand you correctly the IPTC data is embedded in the JPG only?
Seems Lightroom writes internal data into the JPG when you create them?

Or do you have a PEF file with embedded IPTC info? I would very much appreciate a file with this info for analyses.

Ben
02-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If I understand you correctly the IPTC data is embedded in the JPG only? Seems Lightroom writes internal data into the JPG when you create them?

Ben,

Yes, apparently, Lightroom writes the IPTC data into the IPTC header of the JPEG file. When I export from Lightroom, all that is created is a single JPEG file. Picasa is obviously getting the IPTC (and EXIF) info from inside that file. When I export later on from Picasa and upload to the Web, that IPTC and EXIF stays with the JPEG.

I do not think there is ANY IPTC info placed in the original PEF file.

Will