Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
peterjcb

Very nice shot. However when I saw the person sitting on the bench my mind instantly went the the movie Predator.

05-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #92
Veteran Member

If it is really just one camera and lens... perhaps that Panasonic GH4 based fixed lens camera... at least there I have some flexibility. Or the Samsung NX1 with some relatively zoom lens. Or K-5 II with a 16- something lens.
05-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This plus an as yet to be decided lens...

LargeSense Large Format Digital Backs and Cameras

I can dream right?
05-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #94

That's easy.
Pentax MX and 50mm prime lens.

In case of a zombie apocalypse I can use it as a blunt weapon, built a shelter with it and still take pictures afterwards.

And in case of an atomic apocalypse the MX will survive the EMP shock as well.

Conclusion? The MX will still be working when all electronic DSLRs have long since failed. When I can have just one camera, I want it to last.

Last edited by Don Promillo; 05-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.
07-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #95

One camera, one lens

Pentax K-3 with the DA 40mm. I seem to do my best landscape work with the 40mm. WA lenses can be a limitation especially in rugged areas where I live.
11-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #96
Site Supporter

GAS Hurts

I find that I carry my Sony RX100iii more often than any other.
I will also keep the Fuji X30 and the Canon SX50HS then sell the other 25 cameras and lenses I have acquired.
11-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #97
Pentaxian

A full frame DSLR with a very good 24-70 F 2.8 lens.

11-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #98

Photos: Gallery
If I could only have one camera and one lens then I might as well chose something I could bring with me almost everywhere. From what I own that would be the Q7 with the 01 Standard Prime. If I could start from scratch it would probably be another Q. The leica one.

Sent fra min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
11-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One camera and one lens

Well, I guess it would have to be the K-1 with the 77mm limited, which is more useful on the k-1 than on the K-3. What has surprised me is how much wider the 31 is, making it a little useful for me.
11-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Well, I guess it would have to be the K-1 with the 77mm limited, which is more useful on the k-1 than on the K-3. What has surprised me is how much wider the 31 is, making it a little useful for me.
I read your post with interest. I have been thinking of getting a K-1 body and originally thought that I would also get the new 24-70 F 2.8, but I've had second thoughts about that lens...through reading other photographer's comments and reading some tests.

The K-1 is not inexpensive and I would like to pair with a lens that from what I can see...is top notch.

As a result, I've been considering alternatives and one that I have been thinking about quite a bit, is the 31mm F 1.8 Limited. It's a prime of course...doesn't have the convenience of a zoom...but I started (1968) using just primes and would have no difficulty going back to one, as my regular lens.

The 31 mm Limited is fast and a focal length of 30-35mm can make for a good, general use, wide angle lens, in my experience.

Any comments about this lens from an actual user (K-1 and 31mm Ltd.) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Les
11-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 and 31mm lens

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I read your post with interest. I have been thinking of getting a K-1 body and originally thought that I would also get the new 24-70 F 2.8, but I've had second thoughts about that lens...through reading other photographer's comments and reading some tests.

The K-1 is not inexpensive and I would like to pair with a lens that from what I can see...is top notch.

As a result, I've been considering alternatives and one that I have been thinking about quite a bit, is the 31mm F 1.8 Limited. It's a prime of course...doesn't have the convenience of a zoom...but I started (1968) using just primes and would have no difficulty going back to one, as my regular lens.

The 31 mm Limited is fast and a focal length of 30-35mm can make for a good, general use, wide angle lens, in my experience.

Any comments about this lens from an actual user (K-1 and 31mm Ltd.) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Les
I actually am a prime lens shooter, and do not use zooms except when image quality is a secondary concern--parties and similar occasions, famiy picnics, etc. For that reason, I can say very little of value about zoom lenses.

The lynchpins of my stable of primes are the so-called three amigos--the 31, 43, and 77 limited lens trio. I have lots of other primes as well, and have grown quite accustomed to zooming with my feet. The 77 and the 31mm lenses are great Pentax glass, and consistently deliver to me the greatest percentage of keepers than any of my other lenses. Moving from the crop sensor K-3 to the full-frame K-1 will affect my use of these prime lenses. It will make the 77mm more useful since it will be a wider lens, and more useful for indoors use rather than being more of a short telephoto for outside use. I am not quite sure about the 31. I will be using it differently.On the K-3. it was a great normal lens, but on the K-1 it is definitely a wide angle lens. However, so far I really like the results I am achieving with this lens for the two days I have been using it. I will attach one of my landscape photos that will show what this lens can do. The lens now on K-1 is effectively equivalent to the 21mm on the K-3.

Hope these comments and photos are helpful to you in considering your decision.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Rolleiflex 2.8F
11-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I actually am a prime lens shooter, and do not use zooms except when image quality is a secondary concern--parties and similar occasions, famiy picnics, etc. For that reason, I can say very little of value about zoom lenses.

The lynchpins of my stable of primes are the so-called three amigos--the 31, 43, and 77 limited lens trio. I have lots of other primes as well, and have grown quite accustomed to zooming with my feet. The 77 and the 31mm lenses are great Pentax glass, and consistently deliver to me the greatest percentage of keepers than any of my other lenses. Moving from the crop sensor K-3 to the full-frame K-1 will affect my use of these prime lenses. It will make the 77mm more useful since it will be a wider lens, and more useful for indoors use rather than being more of a short telephoto for outside use. I am not quite sure about the 31. I will be using it differently.On the K-3. it was a great normal lens, but on the K-1 it is definitely a wide angle lens. However, so far I really like the results I am achieving with this lens for the two days I have been using it. I will attach one of my landscape photos that will show what this lens can do. The lens now on K-1 is effectively equivalent to the 21mm on the K-3.

Hope these comments and photos are helpful to you in considering your decision.
Thank you for your reply. Back in the 1960's and '70's I was also mostly a prime lens user. I got into zoom lenses when I bought a Pentax 35-105 A Macro lens . It was convenient.

In the film days aside from my Pentax gear, I also used my old Leica Rangefinder, with it's 50 mm Elmar. Great combo.

I do some landscape work, but primarily use my wide angles for a lot of vintage vehicle photography.

You've given me a very good idea. I have a 21 mm Limited and as you pointed out, the 31mm on the K-1 body gives an equivalent field of view to a 21mm on an ASP-C body. For the next while I'm going to work with my 21 on my K-5...and through actual usage, see if that field of view meets my needs.

BTW, excellent landscape photograph .

Your comments and perspective have been very helpful.

Thanks again,

Les
11-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #104

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica m240 + 50mm summicron APO.
11-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thank you for your reply. Back in the 1960's and '70's I was also mostly a prime lens user. I got into zoom lenses when I bought a Pentax 35-105 A Macro lens . It was convenient.

In the film days aside from my Pentax gear, I also used my old Leica Rangefinder, with it's 50 mm Elmar. Great combo.

I do some landscape work, but primarily use my wide angles for a lot of vintage vehicle photography.

You've given me a very good idea. I have a 21 mm Limited and as you pointed out, the 31mm on the K-1 body gives an equivalent field of view to a 21mm on an ASP-C body. For the next while I'm going to work with my 21 on my K-5...and through actual usage, see if that field of view meets my needs.

BTW, excellent landscape photograph .

Your comments and perspective have been very helpful.

Thanks again,

Les
Great. Glad my comments helped you.