Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why did Pentax drop PEF, then reintroduce it?

My old K2000 shot PEF but my K30 only shoots DNG?

05-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I believe that the flagship models from K10D to K-3/K-3II all have the option for either PEF or DNG. I would have to do a survey back, but I also believe that the K-30/K-50 are the only models since 2007 that have not had PEF as an option.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-01-2015 at 08:02 PM.
05-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

K-S1 and K-S2 saves as .PEF
Attached Images

05-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

PEF is a PITA. RAW is universal.

05-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

PEF is RAW

You're thinking of DNG as being universal, because not all RAW formats are.
05-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
PEF is a PITA. RAW is universal.
RAW is not a container. It's a file structure, one that depends on the camera itself. The issue is never the container; if your software doesn't have support for Pentax raw, it doesn't matter whether it's DNG or PEF. Either way, it won't come out well. Photoshop can always open DNG from a K-[ ] because it supports Pentax cameras, not because of any inherent benefits of the DNG container.

That said, I use DNG because it can at least be opened by any image editing software package no matter what. I'm not sure what you get if you run it though an incompatible RAW converter, though...
05-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You are correct I meant DNG which is what I use, PEF has been a problem because as others have said it is not always recognized by various photo programs.
05-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The image portion of RAW files are supposed to be based on and compatible with TIF. TIF is the universal standard. That's why file recovery programs often recover your files as TIFs.

DNG has become the de-facto standard because it is supported by the 800 pound gorilla known as Adobe.

05-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Doesn't the PEF container have specific information unique to a particular model that is used by post processing software?
05-02-2015, 01:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Doesn't the PEF container have specific information unique to a particular model that is used by post processing software?
Yes, all RAW formats include camera specific container (including DNG).
05-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
DNG has become the de-facto standard because it is supported by the 800 pound gorilla known as Adobe.
Adobe created it to be an open standard. AFAIK it is the only RAW type used by Ricoh in their compact cameras.

QuoteQuote:
Digital Negative (DNG) is an open lossless raw image format written by Adobe used for digital photography. It was launched on September 27, 2004.[1] The launch was accompanied by the first version of the DNG specification,[2] plus various products, including a free-of-charge DNG converter utility. All Adobe photo manipulation software (such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom) released since the launch supports DNG.[3]

DNG is based on the TIFF/EP standard format, and mandates significant use of metadata. Use of the file format is royalty-free; Adobe has published a license allowing anyone to exploit DNG,[4] and has also stated that there are no known intellectual property encumbrances or license requirements for DNG.[5] Adobe stated that if there was a consensus that DNG should be controlled by a standards body, they were open to the idea.[6] Adobe has submitted DNG to ISO for incorporation into their revision of TIFF/EP.[7]
05-02-2015, 02:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

You can open a DNG file in Lightroom, even if the camera isn't supported yet. The problem is that you may get really weird results. I got a K3 several weeks before Adobe released an update that covered the K3 for Lightroom and it took a lot of playing around to get decent results. On the other hand, you couldn't even open the PEF files till Adobe released the update.
05-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

No. DNG is more than just a container. It specifies the way the content has to be encoded, what the decoder will do. Think of it like ZIP. There can be different encoders that will give different file sizes etc. But the decoder is defined.

It also explains why if you recompress a DNG file with Lightroom it will be smaller.