Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Movies on K-3; can I use the viewfinder?

When I set the Stills/Movie switch to Movie on my K-3, the viewfinder automatically goes blank and the camera converts to Live View on the monitor.

Can I over ride this?

In other words, is there a way keep the the viewfinder active while shooting movies on my K-3?

Thanks for any advice.

05-02-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
No; in order for you to see anything through the optical viewfinder, the mirror needs to be down to reflect the incoming light to your eye. If you want to record anything, the mirror needs to be up, otherwise it blocks the light from reaching the sensor. This is inherent to a DSLR.
05-02-2015, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No the viewfinder uses the mirror to reflect the image to itself.
Video requires that the sensor be exposed so the mirror needs to be moved out of the way.

If you want to put your eye up to the camera you can get an lcd loupe like those from Hoodmanusa.com.
05-02-2015, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe trade-in your K-3 for a GH4. It has an EVF which allows for this (and you'll get superior video).
But as the others have said, no - the K-3 is a DSLR, which means it is a reflex camera, and this means the mirror flips out of the way in order for light to fall on the sensor (or film for SLRs) which blocks the OVF light path (and also stops stray light entering the recording via the OVF optics and prism)

05-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to each of you for your explanations. I appreciate your sharing.

Now I know. :-)