Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

For what its worth...Good Ole Ken Rockwell is actually the one that put me back onto Pentax after a many year Hiatus from Pentax Film cameras. I was about to buy a Nikon and kept running onto bits and pieces about Pentax here and there on Kens site .... kinda Pentax bashing the brand a bit and also several refrences and comparisons to Pentax. I decided to check out what advances Pentax had made and here I am with Pentax now back firmly under my belt.
The nice part is that I never had to buy some Sheeple's Book for the masses to join in , and good Old Ken still has his ever extended Pay-Pal begging Palm extended but has found himself to be kinda cashless from me for all his help choosing Pentax ! Ken still advocates JPG's over Raw and leads a small army of loyal Nikonians around in the Dark...........Thank You Ken Rockwell ...... Better luck next time !...lol.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-06-2015 at 07:42 AM.
05-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Been shooting at a Comic convention this weekend. Gotten several "That is a nice camera!" comments. Fortunately, none come after the photos, so it's the good kind of equipment complement.

Know how many people asked what it is? Zero. I even have the FA77 on my business card and no one asked what it is. No one cares. The other photographers don't care (or t least they don't *say* anything). The cosplayers don't care. They just care what comes out of it. Conclusion: people who really care about camera branding stuff are fools. Just don't let them bother you and you'll be fine. What's that goofy fake Latin phrase? Nil illegitimi carborundum? "Don't let the bastards get you down." Just think that and all is right with the world.
05-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
People think compact means inexpensive. This is not true, but that's how it goes.

Are you sure about this? I mean, when you say the words compact and expensive the first name that comes to mind is Leica.
05-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

As primary system, I'd say anything that has:
- manual controls
- a reasonably large sensor (let say >=m4/3)
- some lense echosystem with some variety in apperture, price and focal length
- a possibility to control a flash

is enough for almost anything you might want to do as far as photography is concerned. Once you have that, and there lot of choice in brand already for such low level requirements, the gear isn't preventing you of anything and so you can concentrate on the photos and stop thinking of gear.

05-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't let it get under your skin, or you could turn into this guy: Duty Calls
05-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know what always amazes me. All the people who think Pentax is inferior who haven't a clue as to how popular the brand really can be, some of whom will cheerfully bid on the lenses just so they can adapt them to their Canon or Nikon or M43 bodies. I'm watching the auctions on several sites. I hardly ever see anything Pentax not sell. People will even buy the fugly plastic fantastic cameras from the 80's and 90's just to get the better M and A lenses. For something Pentax not to sell it has to be really dirty, the lenses with a camera body have to be non-Pentax or there's no lens on it or it's something really ubiquitous like a K1000 with a certain 50mm lens that's IMHO not all that and all over the place. Why would there be so many adapters out there for Nikon, Canon etc for Pentax lenses if there weren't people who need them? Obviously Pentax isn't that inferior, eh?
12-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That would be a red flag for me, if only because there's an inbuilt subtext that thou art being admitted into a closed society and thou shalt follow the wisdom of the guru. I'm not speaking of Northrup specifically here - I'm sure he knows his art as a photographer, and he's got a right to his equipment preferences - but ANY forum that you have to have bought your way into in this fashion has this potential problem, regardless of whether it's photography or something else. I've seen quite a bit of his stuff on YouTube and his bias towards NIkon is clearly apparent, but it's not the strongest I've seen by any means, and what I've said about a photographer's right to their own equipment bias stands, so long as they're not going out of their way to trash someone else's.

That being said, there's a YouTube video of his in which he pits what appears to be a top-of-the-line Nikon DSLR against what is clearly Yesterday's Pentax and shows how you can make up the performance gap in post-processing - useful to know if you don't have the latest and greatest, but not exactly an apples to apples comparison and possibly carries the risk of leaving a wrong impression in some people's minds as to the relative merits of the two brands.
I know it's been said before, but I can't look at Northrup and not think about Billy Bob Thornton's Lorne Malvo from Season One of 'Fargo'!
That was really informative video , but I don't think anyone would look down on Pentax because of it. He said clearly at the start that he would be using a second hand $100 Pentax K200 with an 18-55mm against a new $3000 Nikon D810 with a $1000 Sigma 24-105mm lens.
She was also shooting at ISO 64 on the Nikon as opposed to ISO 100 on the Pentax, but using post processing, he matched the results of the Nikon!
I suppose what he didn't say when comparing the original shots that the K200's original images were less sharp not because it was a poor camera, but a 10.2mp APS sensor being pitted against a full frame 36mp sensor with a superior lens and a lower ISO!

What really hurts Pentax are ill informed articles, like the equipment ratings in 'What Digital Camera' that rates the K3 below the K5II (what planet are they living on?) & they just don't promote their cameras as well as Canon & Nikon.