Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love weather-sealed Pentax systems

Mr Frogoutofwater and I just got back from a 10th anniversary trip to Paris (where we lived when we first got married). The trip could have been a washout (literally) because it rained (and sometimes poured) every day we were there. Thankfully, we both shoot Pentax and our cameras handled the wet weather very well, including a 3-hour night photography session on Saturday.

The attached night photos were taken during a private tour we booked with a local photographer. Although we might have managed to do this on our own, I know that my landscape photography is pretty dull, so I thought it would be useful to get some instruction and a guide to some interesting locations. Plus, he supplied the tripods so we didn't need to bring our own and it was fun to meet up with a local pro and talk about his experience building a business in Paris. I also have a feeling that if we hadn't booked and paid in advance, we might have chosen a warmer and drier option for our Saturday night, and we wouldn't have had nearly as much fun.

At my request (for something other than the usual Paris scenes), we headed out to the area around Bercy, which has a lot of modern architecture where there are some wonderful opportunities to play with light and lines. I didn't do the area justice with my photos, but I still feel like I did better than I would have on my own.

Attached Images

05-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great set, now let's see Mr. frogoutofwater and his boudoir set

I have lately started factoring weather-sealing when making lens purchases, just sold my DA* 55/1.4 because I didn't use it that much, but kept the Da* 16-50 for both me and my wife would like to visit the city of lovers some time rain or sunshine...

Last edited by Stavri; 05-04-2015 at 12:07 PM.
05-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you had a fun trip with lots of memories. That was a good ideal of using a local photographer to guide you. The WR capabilities was one of the reasons I made the switch to Pentax. Last year on a trip to Yellowstone it rained most of the time while there, but I did have my Pentax with one WR lens (18-135mm) which saved the day. Other lens had to stay in the bag.
05-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pic 3: "Alouette, gentille alouette; alouette, je te plumerai*."

Bird's reply (which I haven't got the French for): "The hell you will; I'll do it myself, thanks."

(* = For the non-French-speakers: I was ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED when I first learned at the age of twelve what this song was actually saying, if only because I'd learned it by rote as a five year old without being told its meaning: Skylark, pretty skylark, I will deplume you... "And this is a kindergarten song?" I asked myself.)

05-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Pic 3: "Alouette, gentille alouette; alouette, je te plumerai*."

Bird's reply (which I haven't got the French for): "The hell you will; I'll do it myself, thanks."

(* = For the non-French-speakers: I was ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED when I first learned at the age of twelve what this song was actually saying, if only because I'd learned it by rote as a five year old without being told its meaning: Skylark, pretty skylark, I will deplume you... "And this is a kindergarten song?" I asked myself.)
As a vegan-ish person, I'm equally horrified to realize (just now) what I was singing as a kid ...

This soggy Paris trip was good practice for our upcoming trip to Iceland in June, where I expect we'll encounter 4 seasons in a day. I will be sure to bring the weather-sealed 18-135 with me as well as the 55-300. (I left it at home for the Paris trip and brought the Sigma 17-70 instead because it's a bit faster, and then realized it wouldn't fare as well in bad weather.)

One thought that came to mind as I was standing in the rain in Bercy is why hasn't a photographer (probably a Canon or Nikon shooter ) invented a decent umbrella hat?
05-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very good idea and nice to go out in the rain!! I think it shows a very unique face of big cities, I always hope to get some rain (just some though!) when travelling through metropolys
05-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

nice! WR was a decision maker for me to get pentax....amongst other things and this forum is a very nice bonus!