Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Ed is controversial because he changes he doesn't seem to have an unified theory but changed his stance often : case in point, 3 weeks ago he shuns Pentax for teasing the FF (thus killing aps-c sales) its line up of lenses while professing the impending doom, then two weeks later commends Ricoh/Pentax for the K3 and the beautiful Da ltds (the ltd zoom as well) with glee. Althought his heart might be in the right place, this bipolar modus operandi now synonyms with Ed-logic (which should be trademarked IMO) is not helping the brand or the image of the users, depicting us as confused old timey folk using outdated photographic equipment operating in the fringes. I don't know where Ed's angst about the Pentax future comes from, the dude needs to relax and do more shootin'. (he's become the cartoon version of Peter from Family guy in "You know what grinds my gears" segments)
So... you're saying you can't make Youtube vids unless you have a unified theory, know everything up front, etc?

I think you just have to take the way he expresses himself with a grain of salt. Or don't watch the vids.

05-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

By the way, here's some crazy thought: what if knowing that Ricoh is serious about Pentax - serious enough to prepare an entire FF product line - would encourage people (for whom FF is out of their price range) to spend more on APS-C?
05-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
starbase218:
He could try to make his opinion known (which is fine) without insulting the professionals (which isn't). It's those "stupid", "clueless" and utterly "incompetent" people who are keeping Pentax alive, and are delivering us those amazing cameras and lenses. Not the armchair experts.
And are you surprised he's proved himself wrong? Though the video with the insults was not retracted...
I probably wouldn't use the words he does either, but in the end they are just words, and Pentax is a company with a public face. So if they can't take criticism, even if expressed like this, I would be very disappointed in them.

And no, I'm not surprised he was wrong, because his vids are not about right or wrong. They are about his thoughts at that point in time.

If they wanted to keep it secret until the end of the year, they would have had to postpone and keep secret the D FA 70-200 and D FA 150-450, too. That means lost sales. That means a Pentax apparently not doing much - the K-S2 with a kit lens, a K-3 update - and people would worry and complain and jump ship.

I don't quite understand... you're saying there might be a significant effect now, but it would disappear right after the FF market launch? Why?
I thought I explained it pretty well. Right now, all you know is, "a fullframe is coming". You don't know the pricepoint, the specifications, anything really, that could help you decide whether or not it's for you. So it could be for you, potentially, or not. Now if you think like this, how inclined are you to buying more APS-C gear for your Pentax APS-C DSLR right now? I would not be very inclined at all.

And regarding the people holding on their purchases with the intention of buying the FF - they might not give money to Pentax now, but they will pay more later. Much more. Think double for the camera alone.
Assuming they will get the FF, which all depends on whether or not it's the best tool for them, which right now we don't know, because we don't have specs.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 04:45 PM ----------

By the way, here's some crazy thought: what if knowing that Ricoh is serious about Pentax - serious enough to prepare an entire FF product line - would encourage people (for whom FF is out of their price range) to spend more on APS-C?
From a personal POV, if Ricoh continues to be serious about APS-C as well, i.e. by updating the DA* line, I may continue to spend money on APS-C Pentax products. If on the other hand, Pentax becomes just like Canon or Nikon in the sense that they want to push you to fullframe, that's one reason less for me to stay with Pentax.
05-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I thought I explained it pretty well. Right now, all you know is, "a fullframe is coming". You don't know the pricepoint, the specifications, anything really, that could help you decide whether or not it's for you. So it could be for you, potentially, or not. Now if you think like this, how inclined are you to buying more APS-C gear for your Pentax APS-C DSLR right now? I would not be very inclined at all.
Are you sure, are you absolutely sure about what I know and what I don't?

You know what? Until CP+ I held up on my acquisitions because I decided to go FF on the long term (if nothing else, for the better viewfinder) - and I knew Pentax was working on one. I was waiting for information. Now that we have a timeframe and new products, I'm tempted by the 150-450mm - yesterday I was this close of putting my 60-250 for sale on the Marketplace; if anything, I'm more likely to buy than I was last year.
And if I wanted to stay with APS-C, what sense would it make to wait for the FF? I would get the 15mm, probably the 20-40, maybe the K-3II and be happy.

05-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the best thing that can be said about Ed is that he is ALWAYS enthusiastic. He is often inaccurate in his assertions and changes opinions frequently, but the energy and emphatic tone of his videos is admirable. There is nothing subtle about Ed.

Steve

(...he talks religion at times as well...)
05-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I like his videos. They are about the only YouTube reviews I can stay awake through. He gets a little off topic once and awhile but he always comes back to the point.
05-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Are you sure, are you absolutely sure about what I know and what I don't?
You have any inside information I don't know about? Anyway, that doesn't matter. Most of us don't, and I didn't mean you personally, but "you" as in Joe Pentaxian.

You know what? Until CP+ I held up on my acquisitions because I decided to go FF on the long term (if nothing else, for the better viewfinder) - and I knew Pentax was working on one. I was waiting for information. Now that we have a timeframe and new products, I'm tempted by the 150-450mm - yesterday I was this close of putting my 60-250 for sale on the Marketplace; if anything, I'm more likely to buy than I was last year.
And if I wanted to stay with APS-C, what sense would it make to wait for the FF? I would get the 15mm, probably the 20-40, maybe the K-3II and be happy.
Again from a personal POV: I use APS-C and will probably stay with that myself. With all the FF buzz going around, I was wondering if Pentax would be the brand to stay with for me. APS-C used to be their specialty, but the DA* line hasn't seen an update in ages. The SDM on my 16-50 has failed. It is an old lens with no replacement in sight on the roadmap.

Pentax is a small brand, and I wonder if the focus on FF will be at the expense of APS-C. If it is, then for me, Pentax will become just another Canon/Nikon, pushing people to buy into FF. With the difference that at least you can buy more 3rd party lenses for Canon and Nikon.

So, no, I guess people who want to stay with APS-C won't wait for the FF. They might switch brands however.

The arrival of the K-3 II has at least give some indication that Pentax is committed to APS-C as well. But for me, it's the pro lenses that need updating. All the new stuff is going into consumer lenses and FF.

05-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I like Ed's video. And I like people who has the power to change their opinion, admitting, in fact, that they was wrong.

Of course, there are people who never change their opinions, because they are always, but always right, from the first place. How happy are they
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I like Ed's video. And I like people who has the power to change their opinion, admitting, in fact, that they was wrong.

Of course, there are people who never change their opinions, because they are always, but always right, from the first place. How happy are they
Ed's videos kind of remind me how relative everything is; even his most profoundly expressed views in one vid could be countered in the next.

And no, he doesn't have to apologize for this, at least not as far as I'm concerned.
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

starbase218:
Of course there is an impact on APS-C development; this year and the next I'd guess, Ricoh Imaging will mostly focus on FF lenses. However, the APS-C range doesn't have any major holes, and many FF lenses will wonderfully fit APS-C as well.
I agree with the need to replace the 16-50 - perhaps that's the most important thing which should be done for APS-C. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be the next thing they'll do for APS-C. And the FF is important as well, just like the 645Z was.

But this focus on FF is a necessity - Pentax needs those lenses or the project will fail - and not a sign of their mid-term strategy. Shouldn't we wait a little before panicking?

Jimmy, but if one is changing his opinions too often probably he doesn't put much thought behind them?

And no, he doesn't have to apologize for this, at least not as far as I'm concerned.
I think he should apologize to Pentax.
05-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ed's videos kind of remind me how relative everything is; even his most profoundly expressed views in one vid could be countered in the next.

Yes, he didn't apologize for that. But still, is much better that some fanboys, who are bullying everyone who has one critical opinion about some aspects of Pentax products. And I think that Ed is doing a much better job for Pentax that those fanboys.
05-05-2015, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Don't get me wrong folks I like Ed and some of his videos. His appreciation for Pentax seems genuine to me, but he often forgets that and back tracks himself (often spouting insults in his monologues). One can perhaps say his love for the brand is too strong, he feels the love and disappointment in equal strong measures, fueling his anger when he cannot understand or read through the Ricoh/Pentax intentions. He has good technical knowledge and field experience but I wouldn't consider him as an individual who possesses a strong analytical mind. My main gripe with Ed is that he doesn't seem to watch his own reviews, but can often do an 180 on his stance when he's presented with some new info or angle. He doesn't seem to show IMO the insight that a man of his age and experience should demonstrate. Perhaps i'm being a little harsh on the man but I do care and wished he expressed his thoughts more clearly as a pentaxian and web personality. ED needs to see things in Perspective, get rid of his hat (which I blame for his shortsightedness) and let his thoughts marinate a little longer before making more videos.

...besides without some constructive criticism in play, If all we did was to commend Ed on his videos, he'd never try to improve on them (and his ideas)

Last edited by Stavri; 05-05-2015 at 09:53 AM.
05-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
Banned

Photos: Gallery
By the way, how come only I have to provide data, and Ed is excused?
Well. ........ You are just Kunzite while Ed is from his own universe!
05-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #29

I like Ed's video, even though I don't really agree with him.
05-05-2015, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are plenty of people posting on PentaxForums who are as opinionated as Ed, as variable as Ed, as critical of Pentax as Ed and as entusiastic as Ed.