Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are plenty of people posting on PentaxForums who are as opinionated as Ed, as variable as Ed, as critical of Pentax as Ed and as entusiastic as Ed.

I read this and started hearing Gaston instead of Ed....

05-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are plenty of people posting on PentaxForums who are as opinionated as Ed, as variable as Ed, as critical of Pentax as Ed and as entusiastic as Ed.

Well said.
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I like Ed. IMO he's allowed to vent his frustrations about the situation as he perceives it AT THE TIME HE RANTS, and he's allowed to be wrong. Almost nobody else out there has pushed Pentax's barrow the way he has. As with officiousbystander, he's the one who basically sold me on the K5 (the alternative was the K30), and if my collection of Limiteds should ever expand in the future, he'll be the reason why. I don't expect perfection from him, I don't expect to agree with him on everything Ricoh/Pentax does, and I'm quite capable of filtering out the one from the other.

If you really want to see someone explode in a tirade of rage and abuse, then go over to The Angry Photographer ("Theoria Apophasis"), who has no hesitation in littering his rants with obscenities and really deep personal insults. I don't watch him much because his interest in gear is almost exclusively Nikon, but a lot of the stuff I did watch was pretty useful when considering Ebay purchases, including what sort of things to look for before committing to buy when you can't actually handle the stuff yourself. As with Ed, I don't agree with a fair bit of what he says but I'm not going to walk away just because his philosophy and mine don't dovetail.
05-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like Ed's videos (if I have the time and patience) but the dude needs an editor! It take him longer to make a point than anyone I know.

05-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #35

I enjoy his videos. They are raw and rough and you know that the guy is speaking his heart - and not just doing some advertisement (hello Fro).

About the announcement: many companies have killed themselves announcing a successor or new top product too early. Suddenly everybody stopped buying and waiting for that new crown prince - and send the company into a financial death spiral.

Just look up 'Osborne Effect'
05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The conditions to create an Osborne Effect are not met, IMHO:
- the FF doesn't succeed any of the Pentax DSLRs, but it marks entering into a completely new market segment, i.e. above APS-C and below 645.
- thus, it's priced out of the reach for most buyers (for whom APS-C will continue to be a more compelling proposition)
- and it's actually not just a camera, but an entire product line - Pentax already started selling (the 150-450mm reached the market).

The only way an Osborne Effect could be created is if dealers would empty their shelves of the APS-C Pentax DSLRs, to exclusively go with the future FF model. Basically, they would have to start believing that everyone could suddenly pay for a camera which is (let's say) double the price of the current APS-C top of the range.
If that would really happen, I guess we would be able to perfectly correlate it with a global spike in LSD consumption

Realistically speaking, the only (short term) negative effect could be some reduction in the number of high-end APS-C products being sold, followed by a spike in FF sales. Positive effects should not be ignored.
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #37
Inactive Account

Let me tell you something about making a presentation Ed. You don't rant on and on and go around the houses making oblique disparaging remarks about Pentax marketing for several boring minutes before coming to the point you are trying to make and then carry on repeating that same point over and over per nausea. The whole thing could have been expressed thus:- "I have an issue with the way Pentax are marketing their lenses. Over night they have decided to increase the price of these lenses by almost 100%. Can somebody explain why they would do that? Is it because they feel they were under priced in the first place? If that is the case, I personally disagree because there are issues with these lenses." You could then identify those issues succinctly. End with "That's my opinion, what's yours?" End of. I too have issues with Pentax' marketing department, which I outlined recently in the thread "Lack of Pentax Presence in UK", and if you read it you would see that I too remember when Pentax was the leading SLR brand. I just don't see that ranting and raving on video for over 18 minutes to make a point that could have been made in 2 is that helpful really.

05-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #38
Forum Member

Let's see what Ed has to say about Pentax said ALMOST no one ever. I don't begrudge a guy his opinions, or even the right to post them online. But who cares? Don't get wrapped up in thinking that the population here represents the entire Pentax user base. I watched a couple of the videos. He has some good points and points he thinks are good logic that IMO are entirely subjective viewpoints. It's a free country.
05-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

If you looked up the definition of "hot air" it would have Ed's picture in the description......he takes 25 minutes to say what he can say in 2....
05-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #40
Forum Member

Hhhmmm.... I'll a little creeped out that Ed appears to be producing his youtubes, and hopefully not IEDs, from the finished attic of my elderly in-laws home. Aside from that I've enjoyed the comments spurred by Ed's youtube.

Perhaps I should call the in-laws and ask if they recall renting out their attic....
05-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #41
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Perhaps I should call the in-laws and ask if they recall renting out their attic....
Perhaps you should call them and make sure they are ok financially, if they have had to resort to renting their attic for Youtube video production
05-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
About the best thing that can be said about Ed is that he is ALWAYS enthusiastic. He is often inaccurate in his assertions and changes opinions frequently, but the energy and emphatic tone of his videos is admirable...
And with the same enthusiasm we have already written here 42 posts about Ed and about his style!
05-06-2015, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
....and his house smells of cat urine....there.
05-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #44
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
....and his house smells of cat urine....there.
See you deserved a like for this great input..........that's how Ed's Universe spins. ........
05-06-2015, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
People ran out of steam?

Thanks for my 200+like, I'll use this touchstone to justify my string of nasty postings from now on...