Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D softness, intermittent

I am noticing that my K20 sometimes gives me results that look like a 'glow' has been added in Photoshop, kind of a soft focus look. It looks like it was sharp, then softened after. It will do this for a few shots, then things will look sharp as a tack. Adding some sharpening in PP helps, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the ones that are sharp right out of the camera. Any ideas?

06-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I am noticing that my K20 sometimes gives me results that look like a 'glow' has been added in Photoshop, kind of a soft focus look. It looks like it was sharp, then softened after. It will do this for a few shots, then things will look sharp as a tack. Adding some sharpening in PP helps, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the ones that are sharp right out of the camera. Any ideas?
What lens Dave? That sounds more like a veiling flare problem than a camera problem. Could you attach an example?

Thanks
06-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In what kind of light does this mostly occur? I seem to get the occasional front focused soft shot in flourescent lighting with my camera.
Wide open, a little bit of out of focus and you get a nice soft glow effect with about any lens.
06-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I went to upload an example, but I think I found the common denominator in the bad photos. Tamron 28-75 f2.8, wide open (2.8-3.5) at near infinity focus. It is never the sharpest wide open, but at closer focus it does better than this. I have obviously found it's weak spot. I normally use this lens from within 10 feet and with strobes so these results were fairly new for me. I hope that's the problem because that is fixable (don't shoot that lens wide open at long distances). I have other lenses that are better for those shots.