Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The design and sensor tech can be traced back to around 5 years. That doesn't make it bad. The K-5/K-30/K-50 is a perfectly capable family of cameras.

05-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

5 years old tech... and without wifi or an articulated screen.
05-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder what you would think of my Spotmatic.
05-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
To be fair the mechanical film cameras age better than electronic ones. The electronics industry moves a lot quicker than mechanical gears and precision engineering.

Essentially the "sensor" in those mechanical cameras improved every time the film improved. Modern cameras aren't made to be upgraded...

05-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
a dinosaur that was nice in its days. But technology marched on.

The K-50 is the K-30 with a chassis update.

The K-30 is what-... 5, 6 year old technology? In digital terms: from the early iron age. At best.

Oh, I own a K-30. I like it a lot. But if I had to decide between the K-30 and the K-S2 today, it would be a no-brainer. The K-S2. For the screen alone.
05-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
a dinosaur that was nice in its days. But technology marched on.

The K-50 is the K-30 with a chassis update.

The K-30 is what-... 5, 6 year old technology? In digital terms: from the early iron age. At best.

Oh, I own a K-30. I like it a lot. But if I had to decide between the K-30 and the K-S2 today, it would be a no-brainer. The K-S2. For the screen alone.
You're reducing the choice to just the body the lens matters also. I think the question is can you live with one easier than the other. For you the lens is less important, for someone new I'm not sure if that is the deciding factor or not.
05-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #22

The lens is less important in this case, because both are good enough but also the first thing that should be replaced anyway. Also 'superzooms' are rarely any good compared to more normal ones...

So the choice is:
outdated body with a nice walkaround lens
or
modern body with a nice walkaround lens

05-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The question is more about the person who the camera is meant for.
K-50 / KS-2 are both nice cameras. Has this person used an SLR or DSLR or P&S camera or even iPhone style.

If you have someone that wants a zoom but likes the 'traditional' look/feel of a DSLR, then the K-50. Body can last a LONG time

If you want something that's trendy - KS-2 - WiFi, NFC, tilt screen, LED...

If he's going to be serious - get the KS-2, and he can get newer / better glass.
Personally, I like my K-30 and DA 18-135. If I had a KS-2, I'd like it as well, but be wanting for better glass.
05-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #24

well, my father wouldn't use a camera if he had to use a viewfinder. His eyes aren't good enough anymore. But a screen? With focus peeking? That is nice. That works for him. So especially for an elderly person a nice, big screen can be very important. A screen that can be tilted? Even better. Less neck craning etc.

And yes, he has used a SLR in former times. Rangefinders too.
05-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well.. that should probably help with your decision then... you can always upgrade the 'standard' glass if/when desired. To start off with something such as a decent tilt/flip screen that you think he will most likely benefit from the start, then go for it.
05-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
My father is getting back in to photography (with my help :-) He has one of the last film era Canons and about 5 film lens. Because those lens won't work on any current digital camera we have to get him something new. With a $600 budget I've narrowed it down to two choices for him for his birthday:

1.) K-50 with 18-135mm
2.) K-S2 with 18-50mm

Which would be a better choice for someone getting back into it?

I personally think if your father not going to use the viewfinder ( like Volkers) then I seriously consider a mirror less. Whilst it is useful to have the option to use live view mode on a DSLR, it never seems as smooth or as optimised as a mirror less. Besides, why have the bulk and weight of the mirror and prism, if it's not getting used?!

I'm going to assume that your father has had chance to play with your k30 and he likes it... And wants a DSLR.

The k-s2 is the better body, but the k50 is still a capable camera; I doubt the IQ/sharpness/resolution/autofocus improvements will have a noticeable effect on your fathers photography, especially considering he has to learn all the other aspects to digital photography.

Unless you think your father will get a lot of use from the tilt screen or wifi, then I'd go with the k50. Purely because the 18-135mm is such a useful and flexible lens to own. Optically it may not be THAT great but I think it still serves a purpose even when you do acquire lenses with better IQ. The k30 is so similar to the k50, it might make it easier for you to teach him how to use the camera. Your father would probably feel comfortable with the da35 (if it could be added under budget) as it has a similar field of view to the 50mm standard lenses used on film cameras.
05-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
I personally think if your father not going to use the viewfinder ( like Volkers) then I seriously consider a mirror less. Whilst it is useful to have the option to use live view mode on a DSLR, it never seems as smooth or as optimised as a mirror less. Besides, why have the bulk and weight of the mirror and prism, if it's not getting used?!
I tend to agree, but also remember that the rear screen can be difficult to see clearly in sunshine because of the reflections (my 65 years old wife certainly finds that), and also because most people get long-sighted as they get older and that means that you have to hold the camera further away to see it more clearly. Therefore, I would suggest a relatively advanced compact with a rear screen but also an EVF that can be used in such difficult circumstances. Weight is also an issue as you get older, and so I am currently looking at decent wide-zoom compact cameras like the Sony (DSC-HX90V) and Panasonic (DMC-TZ70) as possibilities for my wife.