Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 44
K50 - a couple of lens questions

The current incredibly low prices on K50s (surely these are run out prices and it will soon be unavailable) has me about to finally buy one. I'm wondering whether to get the kit lens combo or go body only. My standard lens at the moment is a Tamron SP 28-75, a great lens capable of outstanding results and I'm not sure a kit lens can match it. The Tamron is in Canon mount so I can't use it, but could sell it and try for a good condition 2nd hand one in Pentax mount, OR, go for something with a bit more range. What Pentax lenses are there about the same IQ and hopefully same price but maybe with a bit more reach? The Sigma 17-70 looks good but again, I'm just not sure the IQ can match what the Tamron can do. The other thing against the kit lens, for me, is that I've had 18-50s before and they always seem to not suit what I like in range. Funds are limited, so unfortunately expensive lens options north of $500 new are out of the question.
Thanks for any input,

Hal55

05-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,367
QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
The current incredibly low prices on K50s (surely these are run out prices and it will soon be unavailable) has me about to finally buy one. I'm wondering whether to get the kit lens combo or go body only. My standard lens at the moment is a Tamron SP 28-75, a great lens capable of outstanding results and I'm not sure a kit lens can match it. The Tamron is in Canon mount so I can't use it, but could sell it and try for a good condition 2nd hand one in Pentax mount, OR, go for something with a bit more range. What Pentax lenses are there about the same IQ and hopefully same price but maybe with a bit more reach? The Sigma 17-70 looks good but again, I'm just not sure the IQ can match what the Tamron can do. The other thing against the kit lens, for me, is that I've had 18-50s before and they always seem to not suit what I like in range. Funds are limited, so unfortunately expensive lens options north of $500 new are out of the question.
Thanks for any input,

Hal55
The 28-75mm isn't very wide but if you like that range, then go for it IMO. I wouldn't expect the Sigma 17-70mm or Pentax 16-85mm to not be much worse, though, if at all. Both are great lenses. Going for the 18-55 would probably be a downgrade in your case, but I also wouldn't cross off the 18-135mm as it's a good all-in-one lens, and the in-camera lens corrections do a good job of taking care of its small imperfections.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 28-75mm isn't very wide but if you like that range, then go for it IMO. I wouldn't expect the Sigma 17-70mm or Pentax 16-85mm to not be much worse, though, if at all. Both are great lenses. Going for the 18-55 would probably be a downgrade in your case, but I also wouldn't cross off the 18-135mm as it's a good all-in-one lens, and the in-camera lens corrections do a good job of taking care of its small imperfections.
Best walkaround lens I have at the moment is a vintage 28-100F4. Lovely lens, but sometimes you just want a easy auto lens. Hence I still use the Tamron quite often, but always wish for something either a bit wider or bit longer or both, What it can do over it's range though is quite special.
05-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
May we assume that your Canon has a crop sensor. If so, the 28-75 will give a very slightly wider view on Pentax due to difference in crop factor; it depends on how much wider you wish for. An alternative to look at might be a Sigma 24-70.

05-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,367
QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
Best walkaround lens I have at the moment is a vintage 28-100F4. Lovely lens, but sometimes you just want a easy auto lens. Hence I still use the Tamron quite often, but always wish for something either a bit wider or bit longer or both, What it can do over it's range though is quite special.
In that case I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70mm. It's sharp, versatile, and produces beautiful bokeh for a zoom.

See our review below:

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

See also:

Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 133
I won't say that you'll get no use out of either of the kit lenses, but I think they're the most inexpensive lenses Pentax makes; if you decided you wanted either of them later on, you can probably find someone punting either or both of them for a reasonable price. You wouldn't be losing too much money in the process, but you'd have the opportunity to opt for the green-ringed lenses instead.
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 1,070
not sure about what ya got but the only perk I see to getting the kit lenses is the WR sealing
05-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 44
Original Poster
The more I think about it the more I'm tempted to sell my current Tamron 28-75 and get another in K mount. It's a wonderful lens and I think I'd always be questioning the IQ of any kit or lower rung lenses if I used them. Mind you, that 18-135 would make a great all purpose lens.

Hal55

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, dslr, iq, kit, lens, pentax, pentax k50 tamron, photography, prices, range, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Pentax, but with a couple of questions Moz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 45 05-06-2015 03:04 AM
A couple of K3 questions TedW Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 10-01-2014 02:20 PM
A couple of questions please advise Tom777 Pentax K-3 7 04-24-2014 12:10 PM
A couple of questions about ACDSee Pro 6 NKK Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 07-04-2013 01:37 AM
A couple of new K5ii owner's questions Quagga Pentax K-5 3 06-12-2013 05:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top