Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

K50 - a couple of lens questions

The current incredibly low prices on K50s (surely these are run out prices and it will soon be unavailable) has me about to finally buy one. I'm wondering whether to get the kit lens combo or go body only. My standard lens at the moment is a Tamron SP 28-75, a great lens capable of outstanding results and I'm not sure a kit lens can match it. The Tamron is in Canon mount so I can't use it, but could sell it and try for a good condition 2nd hand one in Pentax mount, OR, go for something with a bit more range. What Pentax lenses are there about the same IQ and hopefully same price but maybe with a bit more reach? The Sigma 17-70 looks good but again, I'm just not sure the IQ can match what the Tamron can do. The other thing against the kit lens, for me, is that I've had 18-50s before and they always seem to not suit what I like in range. Funds are limited, so unfortunately expensive lens options north of $500 new are out of the question.
Thanks for any input,

Hal55

05-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
The current incredibly low prices on K50s (surely these are run out prices and it will soon be unavailable) has me about to finally buy one. I'm wondering whether to get the kit lens combo or go body only. My standard lens at the moment is a Tamron SP 28-75, a great lens capable of outstanding results and I'm not sure a kit lens can match it. The Tamron is in Canon mount so I can't use it, but could sell it and try for a good condition 2nd hand one in Pentax mount, OR, go for something with a bit more range. What Pentax lenses are there about the same IQ and hopefully same price but maybe with a bit more reach? The Sigma 17-70 looks good but again, I'm just not sure the IQ can match what the Tamron can do. The other thing against the kit lens, for me, is that I've had 18-50s before and they always seem to not suit what I like in range. Funds are limited, so unfortunately expensive lens options north of $500 new are out of the question.
Thanks for any input,

Hal55
The 28-75mm isn't very wide but if you like that range, then go for it IMO. I wouldn't expect the Sigma 17-70mm or Pentax 16-85mm to not be much worse, though, if at all. Both are great lenses. Going for the 18-55 would probably be a downgrade in your case, but I also wouldn't cross off the 18-135mm as it's a good all-in-one lens, and the in-camera lens corrections do a good job of taking care of its small imperfections.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 28-75mm isn't very wide but if you like that range, then go for it IMO. I wouldn't expect the Sigma 17-70mm or Pentax 16-85mm to not be much worse, though, if at all. Both are great lenses. Going for the 18-55 would probably be a downgrade in your case, but I also wouldn't cross off the 18-135mm as it's a good all-in-one lens, and the in-camera lens corrections do a good job of taking care of its small imperfections.
Best walkaround lens I have at the moment is a vintage 28-100F4. Lovely lens, but sometimes you just want a easy auto lens. Hence I still use the Tamron quite often, but always wish for something either a bit wider or bit longer or both, What it can do over it's range though is quite special.
05-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

May we assume that your Canon has a crop sensor. If so, the 28-75 will give a very slightly wider view on Pentax due to difference in crop factor; it depends on how much wider you wish for. An alternative to look at might be a Sigma 24-70.

05-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
Best walkaround lens I have at the moment is a vintage 28-100F4. Lovely lens, but sometimes you just want a easy auto lens. Hence I still use the Tamron quite often, but always wish for something either a bit wider or bit longer or both, What it can do over it's range though is quite special.
In that case I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70mm. It's sharp, versatile, and produces beautiful bokeh for a zoom.

See our review below:

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

See also:

Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

I won't say that you'll get no use out of either of the kit lenses, but I think they're the most inexpensive lenses Pentax makes; if you decided you wanted either of them later on, you can probably find someone punting either or both of them for a reasonable price. You wouldn't be losing too much money in the process, but you'd have the opportunity to opt for the green-ringed lenses instead.
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

not sure about what ya got but the only perk I see to getting the kit lenses is the WR sealing

05-12-2015, 02:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The more I think about it the more I'm tempted to sell my current Tamron 28-75 and get another in K mount. It's a wonderful lens and I think I'd always be questioning the IQ of any kit or lower rung lenses if I used them. Mind you, that 18-135 would make a great all purpose lens.

Hal55