Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Pentax *istD not recording aperture and not taking photos.

Well, I got that memory card problem solved (a CF card wasn't necessary but the camera doesn't work with any capacity larger than 1 Gig as Photo Tramp had suggested).

Now the new problem is the camera doesn't detect the lens aperture. (I'm assuming that's what F-- in the viewfinder means). I'm also guessing that the camera isn't detecting the lens at all. Needless to say the camera doesn't even take photos. (I tried 2 other lenses and got the same results.)

Any idea what is causing the new problem ?
Thanks.

06-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wolf Quote
Well, I got that memory card problem solved (a CF card wasn't necessary but the camera doesn't work with any capacity larger than 1 Gig as Photo Tramp had suggested).

Now the new problem is the camera doesn't detect the lens aperture. (I'm assuming that's what F-- in the viewfinder means). I'm also guessing that the camera isn't detecting the lens at all. Needless to say the camera doesn't even take photos. (I tried 2 other lenses and got the same results.)

Thanks.
download the manual.
Custom function... f stop other than A... on
What lenses?
06-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Press [Menu](left top button next to LCD screen)
[Custom Function]
Scroll down until you get 'f-stop other than A'
That should be set to 'On'

That's all. Pretty sure, the thing will work now.

Also, you are not saying what lens you are using, but if the lens has an A setting, better set it to A, then you can use all modes, without any hassle...

Also: download the latest firmware for the ist D here... The latest firmware is 1.12, although with 1.10 and 1.11 you are also in the safe zone... This latest firmware will make able to use CF cards that are more than 1 GB. I use 2 and 4 GB without any problem...

Have fun with the ist D. It's one of the best camera's made... Ever!
06-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You didn't specify what kind of lens you use.

06-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolf Quote
this is incorrect. I use a 4GB all the time in my *istD. the last software update made this possible. check the pentax web site for the last update and functionality
QuoteQuote:

Thanks.
what lenses are you using? and are they in A mode.

Also you need to (for non A lenses) set the function for use apature ring
06-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, I'd say the "problem" was not having it on the "A" setting. Thanks to all of you for the information. To answer all of your questions, I am using a 50mm Macro lens. I also tried 2 other lenses (20 mm wide angle and 70-300 mm zoom and those didn't work either).
Thanks again.