Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

Pentax *istD not detecting aperture setting and not taking photos.

Well, I got that memory card problem solved (a CF card wasn't necessary but the camera doesn't work with any capacity larger than 1 Gig as Photo Tramp had suggested).

Now the new problem is the camera doesn't detect the lens aperture. (I'm assuming that's what F-- in the viewfinder means). I'm also guessing that the camera isn't detecting the lens at all. Needless to say the camera doesn't even take photos. (I tried 2 other lenses and got the same results.)

Any idea what is causing the new problem ?
Thanks.

06-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up and istD and with Firmware 1.12 (available on Pentax Site) I am using a 4gb Sandisk CF card. As for your other issue not sure ....
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolf Quote
Well, I got that memory card problem solved (a CF card wasn't necessary but the camera doesn't work with any capacity larger than 1 Gig as Photo Tramp had suggested).

Now the new problem is the camera doesn't detect the lens aperture. (I'm assuming that's what F-- in the viewfinder means). I'm also guessing that the camera isn't detecting the lens at all. Needless to say the camera doesn't even take photos. (I tried 2 other lenses and got the same results.)

Any idea what is causing the new problem ?
Thanks.
Try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens mount. I use a clean pencil eraser for this, keeping the body positioned in such a way that stray rubber bits that may scrape off can't fall into the camera, though you shouldn't be rubbing all that hard anyway. This is presuming that you are using A series or later lenses with the aperture ring in the A position. If you are using a non A series lens, or have the aperture off the A position, then you are seeing normal behaviour.