Heck yeah man, it's totally worth it! 4658.23%
No way man, stick with what you got! 3341.77%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D to K20D?

I know that this is a loaded question, but I am strugling with the right answer. For my 'style' of photography will I get my moneys worth out of upgrading to the K20D?

06-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ummm, Buddha, I know you've mentioned before what you like to shoot, and you've got a link to your flickr gallery here, but some folks might find it easier to respond to your poll if you just told them about your style of photography up front.
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
Damn Brit

This isn't anything to do with you going 'stir crazy' because you've been confined to the house and garden recently is it Buddha?
I've been thinking about the K20 lately and I've also been thinking about the Bigma. It would be nice to have a second body because just having one is going to hurt if it has to go to the 'shop' for any reason. On the other hand it would be good to have a Bigma because it's a Bigma.
Not helping much am I?
I guess it's really down to how much you want it and whether you can afford it. I don't think style has anything to do with it. I took a quick look through your gallery pics and it looks to me like your 'style', like most people's, is more lens than camera dependent.

Now here's the short answer; Do you deserve it, do you really want it, can you afford it?
If you answered yes to all three, let your fingers stroll on down to Amazon.com.
Gary
06-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I know that this is a loaded question, but I am strugling with the right answer. For my 'style' of photography will I get my moneys worth out of upgrading to the K20D?
Yes, Yes and YES!

Ben

06-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Syb
Veteran Member

Honestly, and not only to put a counterweight to Ben :-)

Only you can know that!
06-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes...

..in for reasons you can't imagine, but will... once you get it!
06-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a current dilemma for myself and I actually went against the flow with this one - or I suspect so - of course it is a personal decision and personally I am waiting for a faster fps camera. Now whether Pentax ever bring it out or not ~ that is to be seen. On the other hand - if I were to drop one of my K10D's into the pacific ocean and it was dragged away - after crying inconsolably for probably about a week - I would have no hesitation in purchasing the K20.

Just my two bob's worth!

06-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Buddha,

Stick with what you got for another 6 months. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket get a good TC and maybe a good light tripod from Amvonia. The K20D is going to drop another $200-$300 so wait for that. One of the old 1.4X TC's that give you Auto focus would be great with your DA* 300. I don't know if you are shooting with a flash for fill light yet, but if you aren't think about adding flash unit and start playing around with that sort of flower photography.

Ken
06-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

SURE! And donate your no-longer-useful K10D to me.
06-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the comments and advice, this one is going to stir in me for a while, but not too long.

I don't know if I have a style of shooting yet. I know that I like things that don't move, or move too fast anyway but I have some opportunities at the end of the month where that will be tested.

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hi Buddha,

Stick with what you got for another 6 months. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket get a good TC and maybe a good light tripod from Amvonia. The K20D is going to drop another $200-$300 so wait for that. One of the old 1.4X TC's that give you Auto focus would be great with your DA* 300. I don't know if you are shooting with a flash for fill light yet, but if you aren't think about adding flash unit and start playing around with that sort of flower photography.

Ken
Well I dont have all my gear listed in my sig. I have 2 Tamron 1.4xTC's and a 2.0x TC, I have a Manfrotto 055X Tripod and 682B Monopod with ballheads, I have 2 AF360's and an AF540 and I just ordered the new Gadget Infinity twin light macro flash kit with the remote triggers, I already have a full compliment of their Cactus V2s triggers for my other flashes and I have a set of flash stands and umbrellas. So I am pretty set on accesories to do most any kind of shooting.

Even though I don't so a lot of work with the flash stuff because I don't really shoot people I played around with doing some self portraits over the weekend and it was kinda fun. I think that shooting people will probably be the next evolution for me. But as for now, I love shooting nature stuffs. I think the CMOS will show great improvements in my macro attempts, the high ISO quality could prove beneficial in some low light events that I am going to be attending this month, a basketball tryout and a wedding PLUS my b-day is this month.
06-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I suspect that with all those * lenses and the 35 macro, you will notice a large leap in detail and IQ.

Unfortunately only "you" can decide what is right for you.

I'm sort of in the same position, but as I'm restricted with my photographic activites at the moment due to health restraints, I've decided to curtail any more expenditure until I've recovered from my op and have the time and energy available.

Having said that, I have ordered the DA 55-300 to replace the Tamron 70-300!
06-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I suspect that with all those * lenses and the 35 macro, you will notice a large leap in detail and IQ.

Unfortunately only "you" can decide what is right for you.

I'm sort of in the same position, but as I'm restricted with my photographic activites at the moment due to health restraints, I've decided to curtail any more expenditure until I've recovered from my op and have the time and energy available.

Having said that, I have ordered the DA 55-300 to replace the Tamron 70-300!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I just had surgery myself, well 6 weeks ago now, I cant believe its been that long already and I am feeling really good, and am very anxious to get back out there and take some quality snaps of anthing not in my back yard.

Good luck with your recovery and God bless you!
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is one flaw in the K20D firmware. You cannot turn off long exposure noise reduction. If I take a 30 second exposure, trying for fireworks, I don't want to have to wait another 30 seconds before I can try again.
06-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Ed in GA

Well, here's my take....

If you have a K10D and you're agonizing over whether, or not, you should upgrade to the K20D.......

You need to quit agonzing. You've already made the decision and all this exercise is about is your justifying the move.

Buy the K20D!
06-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #15

Jeez... I wonder how many of us out there are going.... "Hmmmm... should I? And will my images REALLY be that much better for the extra horsepower".

I know my ability is the greatest limitation on what I produce - but the hell with that, I'm still scheming on selling my near new K10d and upscaling to the K20d.

And the way I see it, if the Buddha has the money for all those lenses... well, the move to the K20d is such a LITTLE thing...