Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 50mm 1.8 problem displaying aperture

Hi All,

I have a Pentax k200d and when I mount my DA 50mm 1.8, everything works fine, till I take the first photo, after which the aperture information is no longer available. In the information screen I get "F--" instead of "F2.4" for example. Someone have an idea about this problem ?

PS: I just updated the K200d firmware in case, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance,

05-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Clean the contacts on the lens and the body with a clean cloth, first.
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Clean the contacts on the lens and the body with a clean cloth, first.
already done, it worked at first when I mounted the lens, but after three photos, same problem F- -. Everything works fine with my other lenses ...
05-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same problem, with a different lens... the aperture ring had slipped from the 'A' position and as soon as I shifted it back, I lost the 'F---' message...

05-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I had the same problem, with a different lens... the aperture ring had slipped from the 'A' position and as soon as I shifted it back, I lost the 'F---' message...
Actually, I discovered that it is related to the focus ring : when I manually turn the focus ring, at a specific position, the aperture information come back, but when the dslr auto focus, the aperture disapears again F - - !
trying to be as precise as possible
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
Actually, I discovered that it is related to the focus ring : when I manually turn the focus ring, at a specific position, the aperture information come back, but when the dslr auto focus, the aperture disapears again F - - !
glitch in the matrix..... hmmm.....
05-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
glitch in the matrix..... hmmm.....
what is that ? :s

05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

already done, it worked at first when I mounted the lens, but after three photos, same problem F- -. Everything works fine with my other lenses ...
If it worked for a bit it is likely related to your problem and is on the lens side rather than the body side.
05-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
yes and probably related to the focusing ring also ...
05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is the lens still in warranty? I'm afraid you would have to return it so they fix the problem. Or even better, they exchange you a new lens, since this one came with a problem.

Other than cleaning the contacts and making sure the lens mount is secure and undamaged, that the lens is properly mounted (has to "click" into place).. I don't think you can do anything else to fix this yourself. My condolences. The DA 50mm is otherwise a quite good affordable lens.

Oh, just one other thing. Are you sure its not the camera? Maybe it has damaged mount. Try other lenses.
05-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think you can do anything else to fix this yourself. My condolences
Concur if

yes and probably related to the focusing ring also ...
is true. That's deep in the lens.
05-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just taking a shot in the dark here. Next time you mount that lens and get the F_ _, grab ahold of the lens and see if you can move it one way or the other slightly on the mount and see if the F_ _ goes away.

It could be a slightly misaligned mount and the torque from focusing is moving the lens taking it off the contacts.
05-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
I just bought a K30 and the lens works fine on it (at least till now) !! this is really surprising for me as all the auto lenses I tried on my K200d are working perfectly ! Anyway, I didn't loose my lense, ouf