Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D serial number

Hi,

I'd like to ask about the serial number of the camera - there are basically two numbers on the serial number card - one is a short one, the other one, on the bar code, consists of the first one plus a few digits - 13 digits in total. My question is - which one is the correct one - in other words, what is the length of the serial number for k20d.

Thanks

06-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Akage, welcome to the Forums!

If the K20D serial number is consistent with Pentax's serial numbering scheme for earlier cameras, the shorter, seven digit number is your serial number. The longer version, under the bar code, is an SKU unique to your particular camera within a larger commercial stock numbering scheme, I'm nearly certain.
06-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the number on the base of the camera....that is the serial number.
06-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
cmv

Is there any way to tell the intended market by the serial number? Mine is 286xxxx and I'm trying to figure out if TriState Camera pulled a fast one or if they sent me a genuine USA body. The reason I'm unsure is because the UPC sticker on box has number 19831 (USA market) but underneath on the box itself is a UPC with number 19385 (I can see through the top sticker). Seems fishy but the manual has a loose leaf page with a California warning (something about the battery I think) so...

04-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like a good place to ask this question...
I just bought a K-20 used. It had 9640 impressions when it arrived... I took it out to test it and when I came back in to register it with Pentax, I could not find the serial number anyware on the camera...
Seriously... not a mark anywhere...
Am I missing something?
04-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SN on the K20D is on the lower left of the base plate. It isn't stamped or engraved into the plate as on the earlier SLRs. Mine was purchased from B&H in 2008.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The SN on the K20D is on the lower left of the base plate. It isn't stamped or engraved into the plate as on the earlier SLRs. Mine was purchased from B&H in 2008.
Um, every other Pentax I own has the Ser. No. there... and, that's where I expected it to be.. BUT!
There is an indentation on the base plate but no serial number...
There was some kind of bluish white sticker there and it looked like it may have had a bar code on it at one time but that was rubbed off too...
I got this unit from an outfit in Fort Worth TX who claimed to have refurbished the camera "in house".

Should I be worried about having a stolen camera...?

04-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be a bit suspicious if there are no other marks or some kind of damage around the area where the serial number should be. Can's see anyone removing the serial number unless you've got something to hide.

Also, perhaps if you check in the set-up menu, the previous owner may have entered his/her name as the artist or copyright holder.

You can download the "exiftool" app (do a google search) which will allow you to obtain the "Internal Serial Number" of the camera. It's not the same as the external number, however. The internal number may be used to track down someone who has stolen a camera and subsequently posts photos from it online. You can put a shortcut to the app on your desktop and then simply drag-and-drop an image taken with the camera into the shortcut. The exif data obtained also will show the exact shutter count, which may differ from the photo sequence number being shown on the sd card.
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
I would be a bit suspicious if there are no other marks or some kind of damage around the area where the serial number should be. Can's see anyone removing the serial number unless you've got something to hide.

Also, perhaps if you check in the set-up menu, the previous owner may have entered his/her name as the artist or copyright holder.

You can download the "exiftool" app (do a google search) which will allow you to obtain the "Internal Serial Number" of the camera. It's not the same as the external number, however. The internal number may be used to track down someone who has stolen a camera and subsequently posts photos from it online. You can put a shortcut to the app on your desktop and then simply drag-and-drop an image taken with the camera into the shortcut. The exif data obtained also will show the exact shutter count, which may differ from the photo sequence number being shown on the sd card.
Being trusting by nature, I'm hoping for the best and hoping it is just as I said that when they refirbed the camera they swapped out the base and didn't change over the Ser. No. sticker.

I downloaded "PhotoME" and looked at the internal serial number but that only gave me a 5 digit number (instead of a 7, like my k-2000.) And, the shutter count on the first picture I took with the camera was 277 wile the image count was 9460... (After a day of shooting about 35 pictures, the shutter count when down to 271...)

But, I did contact Pentax and they may be able to give me more info, as well...