Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D - AF Comments

Check out The Online Photographer's 09-June-08 assessment.

In a nutshell... "I was once again impressed by the "unannounced" improvement in AF performance of the K20 over the K10. "

Enjoy...

06-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Even more important than that, when I examined the files on screen, it turned out that the AF had been consistently accurate.* You need all three of these, in some reasonable compromise combination. It doesn't matter how fast and positive your AF system is when it grabs focus point if that point is a few inches behind or in front of the actual target. It doesn't matter how accurate the system is if the pictures all go away before you can release the shutter. You need a workable combination.

This is exactly the point I always try to make - based on my attempts with the D80, D200 and Canon 40D - doesn't matter how 'fast' AF locks on if it locks on inaccurately. I've noticed more accurate focusing from my K20D (as long as the lens doesn't have it's own probs) than my tests with those Canikons I listed.

06-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
This is exactly the point I always try to make - based on my attempts with the D80, D200 and Canon 40D - doesn't matter how 'fast' AF locks on if it locks on inaccurately. I've noticed more accurate focusing from my K20D (as long as the lens doesn't have it's own probs) than my tests with those Canikons I listed.

This was a topic of discussion on the PDMl several months ago. Pentax chose AF accuracy over speed, Canon chose AF speed over ultimate accuracy, and Nikon chose to go somewhere in between the two.
The K20 does AF faster than the K10 (I had the opportunity to notice that this weekend shooting both cameras side by side), but the K10, using the same lens, has slightly (and only slightly) more accurate AF.
At least that's what I noted with my K10 and k20. YMMV.