Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K10D underexposure problem

In the past six months or so, I have noticed a constant underexposure when taking pictures both indoors and outdoors with my Pentax K10D. I am using the standard 18-55 lens. I have tried varying Modes, White Balance settings, exposure compensation...etc., but the problem seems to persist.

I am shooting in RAW mode. and use Adobe Photoshop Elements for my photo editing. Virtually all of the time, just clicking on "autofix" in the program adjusts the exposure and the photos are fine from there, but I am wondering what is causing this in the first place.

Possibly, I just have something set wrong on the camera, but I have tried a multitude of things to no avail.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, especially if one of the clears up the problem.

05-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blegs38552 Quote
In the past six months or so, I have noticed a constant underexposure when taking pictures both indoors and outdoors with my Pentax K10D. I am using the standard 18-55 lens. I have tried varying Modes, White Balance settings, exposure compensation...etc., but the problem seems to persist.

I am shooting in RAW mode. and use Adobe Photoshop Elements for my photo editing. Virtually all of the time, just clicking on "autofix" in the program adjusts the exposure and the photos are fine from there, but I am wondering what is causing this in the first place.

Possibly, I just have something set wrong on the camera, but I have tried a multitude of things to no avail.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, especially if one of the clears up the problem.
What is the photo setting on the camera - is it set to 'bright' -default or 'natural' which tend to under expose more often than not? Other settings to check would be exposure compensation EX and metering options.
05-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Moved to the proper forum, DSLR discussion, not General Photography forum.
05-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

Are the histograms in the camera and Photoshop showing the under exposure? If not, check the calibration of your monitor. I thought my shots were coming out underexposed until I re-calibrated my monitor.

05-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Are the histograms in the camera and Photoshop showing the under exposure? If not, check the calibration of your monitor. I thought my shots were coming out underexposed until I re-calibrated my monitor.
Yes, monitor calibration and room lighting while viewing are both important. As noted, the histogram is your best guide. You can test your exposure metering by photographing a blank white wall in even, indirect light. The histogram should be centered with the photograph itself being quite gray.

Steve
05-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blegs38552 Quote

Are you really sure the K10D exposed brighter 6 months ago or did you not notice until recently?
How much exposure compensation is needed (eg +0.5?).

The K10D exposes in general on the dark side. That is nice if you post process your (raw) images (and you do so that's great), because it preserves the highlights,
but out of camera jpegs are often too dark.

Last edited by tomtor; 05-18-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Removed raw remark
05-20-2015, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My K10D had a tendency to meter to the left side of the histogram most of the time. This was discussed extensively back in the day. If your histogram is mostly centered, then you might want to check your monitor although if your monitor is out of whack a little, all photos will look darker, not just your own.

12-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Resurrecting an older thread, just because those who've acquired a K10D recently may not find it in the archives.

I'm having the same issue. Underexposed images in SOOC .jpgs, histogram well left. Opening the RAW images and just doing a casual autocorrect on exposure, it comes out between half and a full stop under. My calibrated eyeball had determined about .7 stop EV correction before I came in to check. This was with Pentax AF lenses, Program exposure, natural tone. I'm okay with it, I'll just leave that correction in the camera.

Funny, I've shot this camera with MF lenses and green button metering and didn't notice it as much.

Anyway, another data point for the K10D devotees.
12-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #9

I also tend to get underexposed photos with the K10D when mounting M42 lenses that have non-conductive flanges. Placing a narrow strip of aluminium foil between the lens and the contacts may improve metering accuracy with such M42 lenses.
12-17-2021, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

K10D is a lot more conservative to preserve the highlights than the newer Pentax cameras.

But there might be some dirt in the optical path to the metering sensor. Cleaning the mirror and the screen might help...
12-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
^^^^^
Meaning the "under"side of the screen, toward the mirror?
12-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
^^^^^
Meaning the "under"side of the screen, toward the mirror?
I read that the ideal thing is to take the focus screen off and clean it on both sides, making sure it's very dry before putting it back on.