Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

I bought a lightroom license (v5) of off someone on this forum for $50....I think they came bundled with a printer etc.

Just a thought.....they pm'd me the license number and I was away....

05-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #32
Forum Member

I found Lightroom 5 bundled with a 2tb hard drive for just over $100.00 on Amazon I needed the hard drive anyway, now I need to find time to learn Lightroom! I just prefer to own my software even though they are all moving to a rental model.
05-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I own PSP X6 and have been very disappointed by its RAW converter. I don't want to dis the product, but my practice is to use it for Photoshop-type tasks and leave the basic photography PP for Lightroom.

Steve
I will admit I shoot mostly JPEG, but never found the raw converter to be an issue, I think part of this is not spending time to look at different raw converters to know what is different,

One thing to note for Corel PSP is that a large number of functions are written for 8 bit colour depth, so you need to know the work flow of that you are planning to do on an image because you need to consider all the adjustments needed in full colour depth first, before down scaling.
05-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabjohnson Quote
I found Lightroom 5 bundled with a 2tb hard drive for just over $100.00 on Amazon I needed the hard drive anyway, now I need to find time to learn Lightroom! I just prefer to own my software even though they are all moving to a rental model.
Can you provide a link?

That's very tempting if it's still available...

05-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Join the linux club on the forum and you might get help from the guys there.

Pentax Linux - PentaxForums.com
05-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I re-installed darktable and it's actually working very well now.

This is a great program when it works, one of the perks of paying for software is constant updates and support.

I love working with the open source software out there though. It just goes to prove that you don't need to spend lot of money for quality.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.
Learning to shoot with the DSLR is one thing, but PP is a whole different animal.
I also love darktable. I export to 16 bit tiff for occasional Hugin panoramas or Gimp image manipulations.

Last edited by tomtor; 05-19-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: grammar
05-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
One thing to note for Corel PSP is that a large number of functions are written for 8 bit colour depth
Yes, and the environment works best for the sRGB color space. Wider gamuts are supported, but not for all features.

Steve
01-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Can you provide a link?

That's very tempting if it's still available...
I found it trolling Amazon. You can find the bundled LR discs on ebay as well. Folks sell the LR to make back the cost of whatever they purchased

01-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Xnview, freeware for non-business use, will read several flavors of RAW, though it writes few of them. Xnview started out as a viewer, but also allows conversion between a great number of image file formats. It does permit a wide array of image modifications, but I don't know if it allows all of the things that most people would want to do with RAW images. I haven't shot RAW before, though my K110D will do that and I have wondered, like the original poster, whether there is any reason I should. I have used xnview a lot to modify jpegs.

Who else is familiar with xnview? Maybe you can say whether it's useful for the RAW shooter?

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 01-22-2016 at 10:27 PM.
01-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #40
Forum Member

Once upon a time, when memory was expensive and camera processing slow and hard drive space was small, shooting RAW or not was a tough decision. (I remember paying $1 per MEGAbyte for USED memory in 2000.) My old Minolta A2 would take twenty seconds, one shot at a time, to write to the card. My K-S2 will shoot and write 9 images, RAW + highest quality JPEG's in the same time.

Memory is cheap. Cameras process fast. Hard drives are cheap. Shoot both. There's no down side anymore.

Despite it's quirks, I find Picassa just fine for almost everything I need to do. (Be sure to save your corrected images, otherwise only the thumb is corrected.) Before that came along, Irfanview for many years. Which I still use for hands on, under the hood processing, especially batch. And my still favorite TWAIN client.

I also play with the open source digiKam.org. Wonderful, although sometimes buggy. Linux based, but ported to Windows and Mac. Great interface, and not that damnable, trendy, hard to read gray font on black background, "thank you," Adobe. Not. Amazing capabilities built in. Sadly, as of this moment, it doesn't recognize my KS-2, but since I off load all my files onto my hard drive, so what?

BTW, The latest GIMP can be changed to a single screen view, I think it's under "View." But GIMP is a Photo Shop and similar. Sucky for displaying all your images in the manner of Picasa.

The Pentax Digital Camera Utility I find clunky. For instance, you open a folder of RAW images. You can only see about 5 at a time along the bottom, then you have to scroll rightward to find others. After you work with an image and return to the alleged browser, it has to reload all of them again! And you have to scroll rightward again. Each and every image! How does someone approve something like this when it was written? OTOH, and this goes back to shooting RAW or not, everything you can do in camera for JPEG's you can do later at home with the DCU. Pretty sweet.