Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

K10D RAW button

Can the RAW button be changed to shoot RAW only??? RAW+JPEG takes up too much space, so I was wondering if the RAW button can be used to shoot RAW only

06-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think so Pollito. Set RAW only in the camera's menu system.
06-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get a K20D :P but i don't know why Pentax don't write a firmware to make it let us do that, i don't see any reason they can't..
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
but I dont haz money for K20D >.<

06-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PollitowuzHere Quote
Can the RAW button be changed to shoot RAW only??? RAW+JPEG takes up too much space, so I was wondering if the RAW button can be used to shoot RAW only
I'm surprised you can't do this. As a possible suggestion drop the jpg resolution to it's lowest setting.
Technically a RAW file already has a jpg embedded as part of its "file" so w/ some luck you will either get 2 small jpgs or maybe only the one "embedded" that can be used for both.
06-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When you set the camera to RAW in the menu, it will take a RAW and a JPEG when you push the RAW button.
06-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
When you set the camera to RAW in the menu, it will take a RAW and a JPEG when you push the RAW button.
So the difference between RAW, and RAW+ would be what?

06-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
So the difference between RAW, and RAW+ would be what?
w/ RAW+ you don't have to push the RAW button to get the jpg
Maybe I'm missing something but if you shoot in RAW why push the RAW button?
I thought that was just to get a RAW file IF you are shooting in jpg mode....
Oh well not my model..
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Get a K20D :P but i don't know why Pentax don't write a firmware to make it let us do that, i don't see any reason they can't..
I second that. I would like to have it function in a similar manner; something like this would meet most people's want list:
  • pushing alternates from RAW to JPEG or JPEG to RAW for one exposure, depending on what you have set as your default image format.
  • pushing alternates between modes until pushed again.
  • pushing alternates between format of choice and capture of both formats.
Right now seems to cater exclusively to those who shoot mostly in JPEG, not too useful to us RAW shooters out there... or at least, not to me. A button that will only take me from JPEG to JPEG + RAW is nothing more than a useless button I'd rather wasn't there in the first place.
06-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
I second that. I would like to have it function in a similar manner; something like this would meet most people's want list:
  • pushing alternates from RAW to JPEG or JPEG to RAW for one exposure, depending on what you have set as your default image format.
  • pushing alternates between modes until pushed again.
  • pushing alternates between format of choice and capture of both formats.
Right now seems to cater exclusively to those who shoot mostly in JPEG, not too useful to us RAW shooters out there... or at least, not to me. A button that will only take me from JPEG to JPEG + RAW is nothing more than a useless button I'd rather wasn't there in the first place.

I don't want to start an argument, but I thought the K10D was meant for advanced amateurs or entry level pros, so making RAW+ seems to make sense. Switching from film to digital, I had very little knowledge of RAW. Shooting jpg for a while brought me up to speed, and I still shoot it for snaps, switching (in the menu) to RAW for the serious work. I would think many people are/were in the same predicament.

Shooting RAW, then having to process each and every shot would put off a lot of amateurs. It's like handing a film slr to someone, then telling them they have to learn how to develop and print, rather than taking it to the local one-hour shop before they see any results. I recently did a model shoot, taking over 500 RAW images in 2 hours. Imagine how long it took to convert them to jpgs!

I agree it would be a nice feature to be able to program the camera so when the RAW+ button is pushed it will shoot only RAW, but it isn't there. If that is a very important feature, upgrade.
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #11

I have taken several hundred images imported them into adobe lightroom and when done adjusting have selected all of them at one time and had them converted in jpgs in a file folder of my choice it does not take that much time to do at all...not really sure why alot of people are having a hard time with this whole raw thing
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pshphoto Quote
I don't want to start an argument,
No, but a discussion is always good...

QuoteQuote:
but I thought the K10D was meant for advanced amateurs or entry level pros, so making RAW+ seems to make sense. Switching from film to digital, I had very little knowledge of RAW. Shooting jpg for a while brought me up to speed, and I still shoot it for snaps, switching (in the menu) to RAW for the serious work. I would think many people are/were in the same predicament.
Presuming that advanced amateurs and entry level pros are in the majority going to prefer .jpg (which I don't agree with, BTW), exactly what damage would there have been in giving the RAW button the ability to toggle from RAW to .jpg, instead of just .jpg to RAW? This is a feature that seems to be pretty poorly thought out and implemented, although of course I am not party to the discussion that went on behind it.

I don't believe that anyone who describes themselves as an advanced amateur or entry level pro would be particularly scared of very, very simple post processing. If the idea of converting from RAW to .jpg, even without any adjustments, is intimidating, then something like cropping or adjusting levels would be truly frightening.

I mean, the camera comes with Pentax's Photo Browser software - all you have to do is bulk select all the RAW shots you took and then choose "extract JPEG".... Done!

That has nothing to do with those who say they PREFER to shoot in .jpg for various reasons. That's a matter of choice. The difference here is, the way the RAW button is set up, for the person who shoots RAW the majority of the time, the RAW button is useless.

QuoteQuote:
Shooting RAW, then having to process each and every shot would put off a lot of amateurs.
If they can't or won't use and read the included software and manuals and see that bulk file format transformation is about a two click operation, then they're probably not going to have a lot of success with the camera to begin with. Certainly no more than if they had stuck to the point and shoot world - which is capable of producing some very fine imagery itself.

Furthermore, even if the firmware allowed the RAW button to be used by RAW shooters the same way it is set up for use by .jpg shooters, that wouldn't affect .jpg shooters in the slightest. They don't HAVE to shoot in RAW if they don't want to - they can stick with the default .jpg image capture the camera came with, and use the RAW button as it currently exists.

QuoteQuote:
I recently did a model shoot, taking over 500 RAW images in 2 hours. Imagine how long it took to convert them to jpgs!
Well, I do something very similar to that every day I'm working in the field - pictures of wells, risers, injection tanks, headers, etc. Doesn't take long to fill up a 4 Gb card while shooting in RAW. So I don't have to imagine how long it takes to convert them to .jpgs - I know.

It goes something like this:
  • Open Pentax Photo Browser and browse to folder holding RAW's
  • Hit <Ctrl><A>; alternately go to Edit-->Select All
  • Right click and from the drop down menu select "Extract .jpg"
Now, there's no image adjustment in that process. But I see no difference in having to adjust a RAW in postprocessing than having to adjust the same photo if it were a JPEG.

So, it doesn't take any time at all set up the conversion, and the computer does it very quickly - doing a bulk rename at the time if I so wish. I just happen to use the Pentax (Silkypix) software because that's what came with the camera, but there are numerous software solutions that will do bulk RAW --> JPEG conversion.

Given all of the above, I don't think arguing that RAW would be too complicated and conversion from RAW to JPEG takes too long holds a lot of water.

QuoteQuote:
I agree it would be a nice feature to be able to program the camera so when the RAW+ button is pushed it will shoot only RAW, but it isn't there. If that is a very important feature, upgrade.
So... users should have to upgrade to a new camera instead of Pentax doing a firmware upgrade to fix this oversight? That makes about as much sense to me as making JPEG an afterthought in the new Pentax top end cameras using the rational that if people want JPEG they can just downgrade.

I can live without the RAW button doing anything useful. But if it would cycle between RAW and JPEG for RAW shooters, I would probably use it once in a while.
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by vincentgargano Quote
I have taken several hundred images imported them into adobe lightroom and when done adjusting have selected all of them at one time and had them converted in jpgs in a file folder of my choice it does not take that much time to do at all...not really sure why alot of people are having a hard time with this whole raw thing
I think it's because they think that reading manuals is waste of time...

My workflow varies from time to time, but with software out there like Lightroom, CS2/3 and Bridge, Silkypix, not to mention all the freeware/shareware stuff out there, RAW conversion (bulk or otherwise) isn't exactly rocket science.
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

A way around this is to set up your USER Mode to shoot in RAW and all other Modes in JPEG.

The RAW button will still give you RAW+ no matter which mode you are in but you can shoot in just RAW by switching to USER Mode instead of going into the Menu.

Rusty
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
thx for the tip Rusty, thought that the format was the same for all the modes