Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony's 6th Generation Sensor Technology

Please bear with me on the placement of this post.

In reading this article on shooting the Milky Way with Smartphones, I ran across this linked article on the new Sony sensor technology. My question is when Sony is going to scale the 6th sensor generation technology to ASP-C and FF sensors, and when Pentax will have access to it. In thinking about this for myself, I am just fine with my K5IIs until Pentax is able to offer this or better in their dSLRs.....
QuoteQuote:
It’s considered a sixth generation Exmor sensor, three full generations newer than the best Sony sensors available in DLSRs and mirrorless cameras (Sony, Nikon, and Fujifilm cameras all use Sony sensors in some form or another). If you’re interested in reading about the evolution of Exmor technology, and why Sony has some of the best sensor technology on the market, check out this great article from Darren Bessette of Framos.

Essentially, without going too deep into details about the sensor, the Exmor RS sensor is significantly more efficient and sensitive and has the electronics architecture to produce images with less noise and better detail, per pixel, than the more conventional CMOS sensor designs found in most full size DSLRs and enthusiast cameras. In other words, the OnePlus One and other smartphones that use similar camera sensors are more technologically advanced designs than our large sensor cameras.
The MW article has a broken link to the Sony sensor article but here is the working link to the piece.So, with Pentax closely aligned with Sony's sensor technology, I can see a hopefully large leap in capability coming our way.

05-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting, the gap that consists of developing APS-C backlit sensor has already been made by Samsung, let's see when Sony will release and APS-C exmor-RS sensor. For sure, for the K3ii successor.
05-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

FF will have Sony's absolute newest sensor.
05-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
FF will have Sony's absolute newest sensor.
... for that specific sensor size. The question is for ASP-c and/or FF which sensor generation are they offering. Has Sony scaled the 6th (or 7th) generation up to ASP-c and/or FF? There is a difference between scaling silicon for smartphone sized sensors and the larger silicon.

05-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

That i can't tell Because i dont have the answer that is..
05-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Interesting, the gap that consists of developing APS-C backlit sensor has already been made by Samsung, let's see when Sony will release and APS-C exmor-RS sensor. For sure, for the K3ii successor.
Yeah Sony can't rest on their laurels because Samsung will keep them honest and wants to eat Sony's lunch.