Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 03:34 AM   #16
przemomir

I did it . I buy K-3. All positives written above are true. Simon_199 points an important thing - top LCD. Today I take Pentax K-50 in my hands and I don't know - where can I read parameters?
K-3 or K-5II (IIs) is the best chois.

06-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
My ancient but beloved K200D has been forced into retirement due to age
IMO the only forced retirement pathway for a camera is death. That's the only reason I retired my *ist-DL for a K-5, which I intend to keep until such time (if ever) as it too reverts to paperweight status. What's happened to your K200D?
06-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to upgrade from my trusty K10D and I went back and forth until I decided on the K3. The K3 is huge, heavy and built like a tank. It is a wonderful camera loaded with more features than most amuetures could possibly use. The K5iis can only be bought used but there are several in the market place now and that would be a huge upgrade. I just bought a K50 during Adorama's big sale. It has no top LCD display, but for general shooting I really do not miss it.The K50 has a 16mp sensor, weather sealing, and better high ISO capabilities tHan your old camera. For around $300 for a brand new body you really can not beat it. The K5 and K3 will give you better autofocus capabilities. The K50 can not use a battery grip so you would have to carry a second battery. Really it depends on what you really want out the camera and how much you are willing to spend. A new K50 will set you back $300, a K3 about $750 for a body though I have seen them as low as $600. Used K5iis seem to go for various amounts, usually in the $450 range.
06-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
I recently upgraded from K200D to K-3, and my advice would be to do the same. However that strongly depends on your needs. In my opinion, at current pricing a K-3 body as a way higher price/performance ratio compared to the K-S2, unless of course a flip screen and WiFi is really important to you. But if you are comfortable with the size and features of the k200d like the top LCD i'd go with the K-3.

In my opinion this is the best time to pick a K-3 as it's a top of the line APS-C model with all the features that a flagship deserves. It is "old" but only in the sense that it is at the end of its production cycle, thus relatively cheap, but still extremely competitive on all areas. Again, unless for some reason your kind of shooting would benefit from built-in wifi connection and a tilt screen.

+1 to me, K3 is clearly the winner at a sometwhat reasonable price.

In term of possibilities/capabilities newn we are there:

K-S1 < K50 < K5-IIs < K-S2, K3, K3-II

that's counting K-S1 is not that interresting (no WR, lack 2 wheel to control the camera...) and not really cheaper than K50.
K5-IIs is K50 with a bit better AF in low light and sharper image at 100% crop due to lack of low pass filter.
K-S2 is a K5-IIs with 20MP instead of 16, a fully orientable screen

K3 or K3-II lack the fully orientable screen but the AF is much much better allowing to focus accurately on all focus point with great precision and speed. It is also 24MP and due to it lack of low pass filter, it provide at low iso as much detail as a D60/D610 full frame cameras while still being APSC. Like K5-IIS it is the "pro" line so it is made for taking 200 000 pictures, built really like a tank while staying relatively compact.

To me, the best offerings are K-50 for a good body at a bargain and K3 for the level of features while still keeping a good price.

06-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I originally upgraded to a K5 soon after its release, from my K200D. It wasnt forced, it was a deliberate choice because I wanted live view and failed to love the K-x and K-r which I also had owned. I absolutely MUST have that top LCD. I had not realised how dependent I became on that. I think now, if I had to make the choice over again, I may have been tempted by the K20D, but... I recently re-bought a K200D from a forum member and after having the sensor cleaned, could not be happier with it. I'm still using the K5, but the K200D and its CCD is where my heart lies. When it eventually dies, I'll be looking for another.