Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K200D forced retirement, Upgrade Choices?

My ancient but beloved K200D has been forced into retirement due to age, Wondering what would be the best upgrade choice now, considering the K5 II path or should i bite the bullet and go with the K3 ? I'm not a pro or anything close to it so anything will be beyond my abilities by far, mostly into landscape/nature & architecture if it matters.... My trusty 16-45 needs a good home ....Suggestions or opinions appreciated ......

05-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
My ancient but beloved K200D has been forced into retirement due to age, Wondering what would be the best upgrade choice now, considering the K5 II path or should i bite the bullet and go with the K3 ? I'm not a pro or anything close to it so anything will be beyond my abilities by far, mostly into landscape/nature & architecture if it matters.... My trusty 16-45 needs a good home ....Suggestions or opinions appreciated ......
I'm reading great things about the KS-2, and if my K200D ever bit the dust, I would buy one of those (but my K20D would also have to die, and it never will).
05-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
I'd go for the K-3 if you want something that'll last you for a very long time. But the K-S2 would also be a very viable upgrade.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any of the current bodies will work just fine. Image quality will be excellent, features mostly a big step up. So budget and what features you find important should direct your choice.

Look here for the comparison page: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K200D vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The k-3 is pretty hard to beat and built like a tank. But the others all take good pictures as well.

05-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The cameras with the 16mp sensors offer the advantage of smaller file sizes than those from the K-3's 24mp sensor. Based on your description of need, I'd say any of the K-5 series offerings, the K-50 or the K-S2 would suit your needs reasonably well and not fill up your hard drive so fast as compared to the K-3. If you liked/used the top lcd display on you K200, you might want to give more weight to the K-5 and K-3 alternatives. Good luck!
Daryl
05-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you can see a real need for the tech enhancements of the newer bodies I'd be inclined to find another low time K200. Pretty much bullet proof, WR, AA and a CCD sensor.

I can pick out my K200 shots amongst the K5/K5iis images.
05-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you're on a budget I'd say go with either a K-S2 or K-5ii/s. If you want to spend a bit more you can go with a K-3.

05-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It would be best to give us an idea of your needs in terms of price point, WR, compactness and desire to improve upon low-light capabilities. Snofox makes the very good point regarding the K20D - the most dependable dSLR you'll ever find. But I'm biased toward it. Not that its as good as the newest generations, but it is a step up from all earlier models. I intend to sell my K20D, but hesitate because the camera is clearly worth more than what it fetches on the market. My 16-45 was a very good match for the K20D - and still performs great on the higher resolution models, as well.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 05-24-2015 at 02:20 PM.
05-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

I also retired my K200D just before Christmas. After much research I opted for the K50 and have been very satisfied. The high ISO performance is much better and the auto focus seems to be quite a bit faster. I was concerned that I might miss the top LCD display but found out that I don't really miss it at all! In short the K is a HUGE upgrade over the K200D. If you decided to go this route I don't think you would be disappointed.

---------- Post added 05-24-15 at 04:03 PM ----------

Oops, typo. That should have read the K50 is a huge upgrade over the K200D.
05-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ExMiner Quote
In short the K is a HUGE upgrade over the K200D.
Depends on what you're lookin' for. If you're after a graduation gift you'll not find a better pair than a K200D and any of the good lenses of that era for the price they bring today.
05-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Depends on what you're lookin' for. If you're after a graduation gift you'll not find a better pair than a K200D and any of the good lenses of that era for the price they bring today.
The OP said nothing about a graduation gift. She is wanting to upgrade from the K200D (which is a great camera). And as I said - the K50 would be a huge upgrade.
05-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

the K-50 maybe a good choice....great camera at a real nice price
05-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #13
przemomir

I used k200D and now I have K7. I think, jumping to k5 II or K3, is big difference in plus. But - probably - a resolution of lenses from K200D can't make the most of K3's sensor.
05-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I recently upgraded from K200D to K-3, and my advice would be to do the same. However that strongly depends on your needs. In my opinion, at current pricing a K-3 body as a way higher price/performance ratio compared to the K-S2, unless of course a flip screen and WiFi is really important to you. But if you are comfortable with the size and features of the k200d like the top LCD i'd go with the K-3.

In my opinion this is the best time to pick a K-3 as it's a top of the line APS-C model with all the features that a flagship deserves. It is "old" but only in the sense that it is at the end of its production cycle, thus relatively cheap, but still extremely competitive on all areas. Again, unless for some reason your kind of shooting would benefit from built-in wifi connection and a tilt screen.
05-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add another opinion to the scales:
I loved earlier Pentax DSLR's until I bought a used original K5 and realized how crappy and outdated anything pre K5 is. The main critical improvement between the K7 and original K5 was the huge jump in higher ISO quality. 400 is useable without even editing it and you can use 1600 even if you are a picky person. I am pretty sure dynamic range also improved since I seemed to have less trouble fitting both highlights and shadows into the same exposure with the K5 than with earlier bodies.
You also never buy another camera without 2 wheels and an ISO button after experiencing one, it just makes things so much faster.

To directly answer your question if money is an issue get a used K5II or K5IIs (around $450 or so now), if not get one of the K3's that are suddenly a much better deal as they are cleared out to make room for K3II's.
Even a K5II will totally blow you away compared to the old K200D. You could take an original K5 if you find a great deal as it has the really critical improvements, but the stuff they add in the second model was really nice to have, especially the AF improvements.