Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Images too dark!

I'm taking my daughter and we're going on a photo safari in Eastern Oregon, leaving tomorrow morning. We both will be using K-50s and this afternoon, I hooked her up with a nice, all-purpose lens - a Tamron 28-200mm. She is a true, first-time-out-of-the-chute novice, so I set the camera on Auto, wanting to make things a simple and easy as humanly and humanely possible. We went out in the front yard this afternoon so she could take a few "test" shots. All of her photos were consistently dark by about two stops. Question: Is there a way to "correct" or override the AE and if so, how?

I feel kinda' stupid asking this, but I've never once ever used this camera in the auto position, being a "manual guy," almost exclusively.

Thanks.

05-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First reset the camera back to factory defaults and then check the recommended settings for the K50 on the forum.

If you don't want to do that just check Exposure compensation - the +/- button on the grip near the shutter release. Push it down and then on the back you can see what it is set to and adjust.

There is also a common failure of the aperture control block that can result in less than consistent exposures - both over and under can occur.
05-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First reset the camera back to factory defaults and then check the recommended settings for the K50 on the forum.

If you don't want to do that just check Exposure compensation - the +/- button on the grip near the shutter release. Push it down and then on the back you can see what it is set to and adjust.

There is also a common failure of the aperture control block that can result in less than consistent exposures - both over and under can occur.
Bingo! Thanks. We're good to go!
05-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Adding to that:

Check the behaviour of the 28-200 on the your K50.
Check other lenses on her K50.
Try other modes (Av, ...) to see if it depends on the mode

And instead of auto, I suggest that you set her camera up in P-mode instead of auto.

Enjoy the trip.

05-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Bingo! Thanks. We're good to go!
Awesome! Glad to help. One of the settings determines if Exposure Compensation is kept when the camera is turned off. You might want to be sure it isn't if you think it might get moved by accident again.
10-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

@UncleVanya I feel, my K500 has encountered the Aperture block.. I am unable to take any picture normally. Everything is too dark.. most of the times nothing is visible.. complete black photographs.. How do I over come this ?
Can I do anything about it. .I bought the camera in India in 2014 August. I am in US now and I tried calling the Pentax support in US. They say that Pentax doesn't have global warranty. . The minimum quote just to send the camera for normal service is $165 + shipping.. I am getting brand now K50 for $295 from Amazon.
I am not in a position to afford a new camera though.. not in a position to afford this service cost either.. Is there anything I can do to make my camera come to normal again ? Or just wait until I can afford a new camera.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Please help me.
10-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tosudarshana Quote
@UncleVanya I feel, my K500 has encountered the Aperture block.. I am unable to take any picture normally. Everything is too dark.. most of the times nothing is visible.. complete black photographs.. How do I over come this ?
Can I do anything about it. .I bought the camera in India in 2014 August. I am in US now and I tried calling the Pentax support in US. They say that Pentax doesn't have global warranty. . The minimum quote just to send the camera for normal service is $165 + shipping.. I am getting brand now K50 for $295 from Amazon.
I am not in a position to afford a new camera though.. not in a position to afford this service cost either.. Is there anything I can do to make my camera come to normal again ? Or just wait until I can afford a new camera.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Please help me.
I wish I had a magic bullet. The only thing that might work is to use that camera with an M42 adapter and shoot only in Av mode with M42 lenses in manual aperture mode. The point being that in those cases the aperture lever isn't really important. Also you can modify (don't ask me how) the M series lenses to have manual aperture in which case they would work also but that may be more complicated than you have any interest in messing with. If nothing else you might be able to sell (or keep) the camera you have for parts.

10-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

I wish I had a magic bullet. The only thing that might work is to use that camera with an M42 adapter and shoot only in Av mode with M42 lenses in manual aperture mode. The point being that in those cases the aperture lever isn't really important. Also you can modify (don't ask me how) the M series lenses to have manual aperture in which case they would work also but that may be more complicated than you have any interest in messing with. If nothing else you might be able to sell (or keep) the camera you have for parts.
Thank you for your response.
I read somewhere that people are talking about cleaning the lens contacts and that stuff. Is there anykinds of cleaning I can do before I write off my camera...I guess the problem is with the aperture control block, I tried with both of the Kit lenses I have.
10-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Also you can modify (don't ask me how) the M series lenses to have manual aperture in which case they would work also but that may be more complicated than you have any interest in messing with.
Technically, I would think you could cut off or remove the aperture lever from any lens that has an aperture ring and use it like an m42 lens in A mode. I wouldn't suggest doing this though. I might if my K30 ever breaks
10-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #10

Thanks you for all the help.and suggestions..