Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

K3 v K3ii v Ks-2

I'm new to the forum and I apologise if this is in the wrong place and has been asked many times before.

I currently shoot a k30 and a k50 and am looking to upgrade. I am a part time professional, shooting studio, on location and moving into weddings. I am really unsure as to how to progress. I don't require the astrotracing feature of the K3ii or gps so I am thinking I can leave out the K3ii but I'm not sure about buying a model that is so old....

My local business owner is trying to steer me towards the Ks-2 but I'm not sure this is a big enough upgrade to be worth its while....

What do you all think?

05-23-2015, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the introduction of K3II, the K3 should further drop its price. Unless you really want a "flip" screen, I think that the K3 is the better camera over all.

By the way, welcome!
05-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My money would go to the K3ii because of the addition stop in shake reduction. 4.5 vs 3.5 for the K3,
05-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A big welcome to the forum.

I think the thing about the K10 through to the K3 is that they are great professional bodies. I would choose a K3 over a Ks-2 as you have more controls at your finger tips on the K3. I hate picking up Nikons and Canons because the things I need are hidden away and you need to look at a manual first. The K3 and older bodies are fantastic for taking full control of the camera.

The only reason for you to buy a K3ii is if you see the need to pan to take some of your photos or you see yourself taking a lot of low light photos.I would go slower speed rather than higher ISO in your situation.

This is off topic - if you do like controlling everything, I find the auto flash guns hit and miss even when the flash has been changed to manual. I now only use Godox flash guns which are only manual and do exactly what they are told every time. These manual flash guns are about a third of the price and recharge for the next flash in 1.5 seconds.

05-23-2015, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I also came (and still using) from K30.

I can almost always get away using the K30 with a fast lens handheld, relying on the SR, under dim and difficult interior lighting, without any flash.

With the K3, often I can't! (My technique must be flawed!) If I try doing the K3 handheld in a difficult lighting, it always end up awry. That K3's sensor is unforgiving! The tripod solves this problem, then I don't even care about the SR anymore.

I have a feeling that the K3IIs sensor is just as demanding, thus, the K3 (cheaper, when you don't need the GPS) recommendation.
05-23-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome
I'm so undecided about what to do...
Low light at weddings is a concern
05-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi. Welcone to PF!

We are on the same boat, infact, I almost thought someone is writing for my "own" issue, I use K-30, not 1 but 2, I am also a part time shooter on events, weddings parties and desiring for an upgrade, I think I will chose a KS-2, maybe just because It has the articulating screen, a very useful feat during events, I use LV more and more these days as I appreciate focus peaking. It already have the -3EV AF for lowlight and based on my initial test on local seller, the focus is spot on! No AA filter means sharp photos and lower MP count means less storage needed.

For my case, my choices are K3,KS-2, K5iis, I like the 16MP sensor in terms of output and it is big enough for my use, the 24MP is big and would really hurt my workflow... I dont want to upgrade my pc yet.

The only thing that I dont like in KS-2 is it's price... I hope I can buy it lower than its current... Perhaps I should wait till December.
05-23-2015, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Hi. Welcone to PF!

We are on the same boat, infact, I almost thought someone is writing for my "own" issue, I use K-30, not 1 but 2, I am also a part time shooter on events, weddings parties and desiring for an upgrade, I think I will chose a KS-2, maybe just because It has the articulating screen, a very useful feat during events, I use LV more and more these days as I appreciate focus peaking. It already have the -3EV AF for lowlight and based on my initial test on local seller, the focus is spot on! No AA filter means sharp photos and lower MP count means less storage needed.

For my case, my choices are K3,KS-2, K5iis, I like the 16MP sensor in terms of output and it is big enough for my use, the 24MP is big and would really hurt my workflow... I dont want to upgrade my pc yet.

The only thing that I dont like in KS-2 is it's price... I hope I can buy it lower than its current... Perhaps I should wait till December.
Very good points! Indeed, the K3's files are more demanding, noticeably on an MS Windows environment. Thus, I have shifted to Mac completely for my workflow. It's actually the KS2's flip vs K3's ergonomics and control.

Now, maybe Ricoh should do a K3IIs (with a flip screen!!! Yay!) .

PS:
I still think that the blue K30 is more handsome than the K3

---------- Post added 05-23-15 at 09:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fionamp Quote
Thank you for the welcome
How about a lens upgrade, instead?

(while waiting for the unicorn's arrival)

05-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
With the introduction of K3II, the K3 should further drop its price. Unless you really want a "flip" screen, I think that the K3 is the better camera over all.

By the way, welcome!
Same do I.
05-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm new to the forum and I apologise if this is in the wrong place and has been asked many times before.

I currently shoot a k30 and a k50 and am looking to upgrade. I am a part time professional, shooting studio, on location and moving into weddings. I am really unsure as to how to progress. I don't require the astrotracing feature of the K3ii or gps so I am thinking I can leave out the K3ii but I'm not sure about buying a model that is so old....

My local business owner is trying to steer me towards the Ks-2 but I'm not sure this is a big enough upgrade to be worth its while....

What do you all think?
I would go for the K-3. It has faster performance and is more durable overall, not to mention the image quality enhancements. I'm not sure if you make use of the K-50's cable release, but that feature has been removed in the K-S2 so I wouldn't consider it to be a professional body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

In low to very low light, you need to use a fast lens: f1.8, f1.4 or even f1.2. This is a necessity, unless you can use a flash. In very low light, MF lens is far preferable IMHO over AF lena. I shoot with K-3, K-7 and K-01, about 99,9% handheld. I have no problem in low to very low light with the K-3 using any fast lens.(I have 6 fast lenses from f1.2 to f1.8.)

Let me share a personal experience with my older K-7. The K-7 is well-known to be quite bad at high ISO. Anything above ISO 800 is very noisy. I was shooting many years ago with my K-7 together with a friend who had a FF Nikon with a zoom lens (f2.8 likely). We were outdoor and it was sunset in western France. About 19:00, I had to stop shooting with my 18-250mm zoom and I replaced it with my VL58mm f1.4. At 19:15, my friend stopped to shoot with his Nikon FF. I was able to shoot with my old K-7 + fast prime until 19:45 when I went home. And I had decent shots....

Simply a fast lens (ie fast prime) is a must in low light and it works well handheld.

I hope that the comment may help.
05-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome
i would go for k3 or k3ii.
no big differance between k30 and ks2.
05-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks again...

The fastest lenses I have are f2.8 - I have 17-50 and 50-135. F2.8 90mm macro

I do have a f1.8(I think) 50mm but it is rarely on my camera
05-23-2015, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

The K-S2 is a fantastic little body, but the K-3's ergonomics, build quality and frame rate (for starters) make it more suitable for your needs.
09-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the messages...

My K30 has finally died

I and def going to be upgrading to the K3 - thanks for all the advice