Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow!! I think I'm more excited to read about your 50th wedding anniversary than some feature in a camera. Congrats!!

05-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #17
mee
Site Supporter

Awaiting reviews and price drop.. these bodies are always priced high and lose a ton of value in the first year. Plus, it gives time to eyeball the FF body.. ooohh hehe

Mostly interested in the improved SR and the pixel shifting. But I'm having a difficult time imagining many locations where the frame is entirely static. Perhaps they have some kind of anti-ghosting keying going on.. really hard to say anything when it is not out yet and thoroughly reviewed... though I might be tempted to rent one from lensrentals since they have them on preorder right now...
05-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #18
Site Supporter

As the sensor resolution as reached an optimum regarding noise/optical resolution in the APSC format, I believe that with improved AF over the K-5, the K-3 series is becoming of the same breed as the 7D/7DII, especially interesting for telephoto.
For telephoto/wildlife, the camera flash is not relevant, the GPS makes more sense, along with improved SR and AF features to go with the DFA 150-450. So, I might still consider the K-3II as second body in the future. Although I consider super-resolution and AA simulator as gadgets.
05-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I have a K-5 which I will not part with, however GPS, astro tracing, sensor shift, improved shake reduction plus all the other improvements that came with the K-3 have persuaded me to pre-order a K-3 II. Plus I'm going camping in BC in July so what more justification is needed for upgrading. Really looking forward to star shooting too!

Using Lightroom Map with my camera phone snaps has been a revelation, such a fantastic feature. I patches up the gaps in my memory for place names, showing me where I have been.

I'm happy without an on-board flash, never liked what they do to photographs, but for that time when flash is useful, I have got myself the new AF 201 FG WR, nice and small - and 'bounceable'.

I stated in other forums, I personally would rather have GPS in the camera and a flash in my pocket than the reverse, because I will use GPS far more frequently than flash.

Any day now.....

05-25-2015, 04:51 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Built-in flash

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm excited for the possibility of a trend of removing a built-in flash in higher end camera bodies. Let's use the space formerly occupied by the goofy flash with some electronics that enable hybrid OVF/EVF technology.
Hi,
I agree. I very rarely use the built-in flash. That so-precious space could be used for so many new technologies such as GPS, WIFI, EVF.... and so on......
05-25-2015, 05:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
I have a K-5 which I will not part with, however GPS, astro tracing, sensor shift, improved shake reduction plus all the other improvements that came with the K-3 have persuaded me to pre-order a K-3 II. Plus I'm going camping in BC in July so what more justification is needed for upgrading. Really looking forward to star shooting too!

Using Lightroom Map with my camera phone snaps has been a revelation, such a fantastic feature. I patches up the gaps in my memory for place names, showing me where I have been.

I'm happy without an on-board flash, never liked what they do to photographs, but for that time when flash is useful, I have got myself the new AF 201 FG WR, nice and small - and 'bounceable'.

I stated in other forums, I personally would rather have GPS in the camera and a flash in my pocket than the reverse, because I will use GPS far more frequently than flash.

Any day now.....
Sounds like Ricoh has tailor made the k-3 II camera for folks like you... and I am sure there are quite a few of you out there, otherwise, Ricoh wouldn't have done that... good move on Ricoh's part and good for you guys...
05-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

If I was now buying K-3 again...which I could do, but waiting for that FF so I won't.
I really would buy this new K-3 II. Lot to like, especially that new astro tracer on top of that thing.
I hope that it will come to that FF too. As said before. I randomly use my pop up flash on K-3 and when I want to use flash, it will have to be a proper one.
05-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I am genuinely waiting for K3 price drop.. ;-)

05-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
honour our 50th wedding anniversary
Congratulations! Quite a milestone. And September is perfect for vacation, most of the tourists have gone We used to always take ours in November when I lived on the east coast, but September works better in the west for some reason. We did Yellowstone in September 2 years ago, perfect weather and not much traffic.

I wonder if the k-3 grip works on the k-3II? I assume so, but have not seen anything definitive. Anyway, you might start looking for a used k-3 grip on the market.

Oh, and just tell her the k-3II with grip is anniversary present. Come on, she's not going to dump you after 50 years. Too much time invested. At least that's what mine says.
05-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I would be genuiely excited about the K-3ii, if I had money for it. It's what I've been asking for for a long time. But... there's a 150-450, Tess is asking for a lighter, smaller set up. I'm thinking KS-2 with 18-50 and 55-300. She wants the whole kit to fit in one small pelican case. I'm still after a 200 ƒ2.8. There's a lot on the table right now, and my guess is the K-3ii is going to get squeezed out. Especially since I currently shoot with a K-3.
05-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excited ? At the K-3 II yes, will want to ugrade from the K-5 soon (need reviews from early adopters first), GPS no, don't need that, in fact a camera without video, gps wifi, just a straight stills camera will do me. If they did an AF/Manual LX digital with no screen, no nothing, just iso, aperature and shutter adjust would please me
05-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #27
Site Supporter

The K-3II will certainly support all features of the new DFA 150-450. However, there is still a pending question about the existing K-3: will the features of the new lenses such as DFA150-450 still work? So far, there was no answer from Ricoh regarding the bug of K-3 firmware update version 1.20. Will we have to update our K-3 to a K-3II because of some firmware issues?
05-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #28
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
If maybe I was a photo journalist, an avid traveler with deep pockets
I can tick two out of three... so FF here I come then.

---------- Post added 26th May 2015 at 08:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
If they did an AF/Manual LX digital with no screen, no nothing, just iso, aperature and shutter adjust would please me
That sounds good to me too, I want it sturdy, robust, bulletproof and reliable as well.
05-26-2015, 02:10 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That sounds good to me too, I want it sturdy, robust, bulletproof and reliable as well.
exactly, come on Pentax, you know you want it too
05-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #30
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
exactly, come on Pentax, you know you want it too
I may have forgot to mention in list... FF as well.