Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

who is genuinely excited at the K-3ii and the built in GPS

who is genuinely excited at the K-3ii and the built in GPS (and of course importantly astrotracer)...

looks like a [crop sensor] landscape/astro/night photography dream to me

05-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) GPS / Astrotracer that is WR
2) Ability to use both GPS and flash which you could not do on the k-3
3) Pixel shift high resolution mode
4) Improved SR
5) Automatic panning detection for the SR

A lot of stuff for a mark II refresh.
05-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
4) Improved SR

yup its going to be a beast... a really compelling offer imo

who needs FF *runs away* ... go large with extra fries and get a 645z!
05-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
who needs FF
I've been saving for the FF. But the k-3II kinda took me by surprise, the FF is going to have to really show me something over the k-3II or I might just go with the k-3II

05-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

4) Improved SR

For me I'd order them 4-1-5-2-3, but none of the changes are unsatisfactory. We'll see where my budget and Pentax bodies sit relative to each other - say, around Christmas.. Also I'm really looking forward to HR-mode landscapes, quaking aspen leaves with psychadelic edges
05-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K3ii would seem to be the perfect camera for me. The original K3 ticked the improved auto focus functions I wanted. The two top features I still wanted is inbuilt GPS and shake reduction associated with panning.

The biggest problem about the K3ii is I will spend the money I have saved for the FF on the new K3.
05-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
who is genuinely excited at the K-3ii and the built in GPS
Not me, I'm holding fire for a another that cannot be mentioned outside it's own thread on here.

05-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Not me, I'm holding fire for a another that cannot be mentioned outside it's own thread on here.
You can open fire first...
05-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If maybe I was a photo journalist, an avid traveler with deep pockets, or I was one of those Facebook geeks then I might be excited, but I'll take the pop-up flash any day. What I'm really excited about is this Shift technology.
05-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm excited for the possibility of a trend of removing a built-in flash in higher end camera bodies. Let's use the space formerly occupied by the goofy flash with some electronics that enable hybrid OVF/EVF technology.
05-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

I do doc photos on the fly, no tripod work. New K3 does not sound like much for me. As was mentioned, sounds nice for astro work.
05-24-2015, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #12

Am also very excited for the K3II. But as a former medium format film landscape & studio photographer- I will admit that it is centered around the potential performance of pixel shift. A technology that provides the opportunity to significantly increase the clarity of detail in at least some image- those that I care enough to have used a tripod for anyway! I can't believe how in a sister thread the enthusiasm for the announcement of such a potentially exciting product release as the K3II has bogged down to persistent dis-enthusiasm for the loss of on-board flash and lack of faith to see what integration of on-board GPS can bring.
05-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody up there is giving me a hint that it is time for me to buy a K-3 II. My faithful K10D decided to give me a couple of blank frames today just before both batteries gave out. The unfortunate thing is that I really want the GPS - my wife and I are always in parks: national, provincial, state (yeah, we come down there from time to time) county, district, city, country, .... if it's a park we're coming. Up to now I have bulked up my shutter count by taking pictures of signs saying things like "Welcome to George's Donkey Ranch!" just to remember where I was when I took the next bunch of snaps. Then of course, sometimes I forget. GPS to the rescue! The trouble is that I am so used to having a battery grip I cannot live without it. If I could, the K-3 II without grip is close to the same price as a K-3 with grip. If old faithful gets even less faithful I have a terrible decision to make. I'll probably buy the K-3 II even if I can't afford the grip. She Who Must Be Obeyed will accept the replacement of a dead(ish) camera, but how do I sneak the grip in later?

Decisions, Decisions.
05-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
how do I sneak the grip in later?
Better to ask forgiveness than permission?

I am going to speculate that there will be bundle offerings with the grip at some point. But maybe not until fall.
05-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to speculate that there will be bundle offerings with the grip at some point. But maybe not until fall.
We have a major trip to a major park (Pacific Rim National Park, BC, Canada) in September to honour our 50th wedding anniversary (which is in July, but we avoid the school kids later and I have a wedding to play in June) I need, er I mean WANT, er no I mean NEED the K-3 II for the trip.