Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The (AF) Button Question

Yes, I'll admit to being lazy. And, I probably know the answer already - No. But, I'll ask anyway.

When I have my camera (K5 or K5IIs) up on the tripod in the evening, I usually need to shoot in manual focus, since there is not enough light or contrast for the camera to auto focus with.

However, with a AF lens mounted (60-250, or 12-24, or 8-16, etc.), I would dearly like to just leave the MF selection switch alone - especially when the camera is in portrait orientation. When there is an opportunity to autofocus, I would really like to just press the (AF) button and have the camera auto focus, upon request (overriding the MF switch for an instant) and then just return to MF mode. Yes, I can reach around and fiddle with the MF selection switch, pushing it to AF (and autofocusig), and then back down to MF. But, it's under the lens or at best off to the side and is just a small PIA.

I have read the manual, and it does not operate this way - am I missing something? or just being an old stick in the mud?

05-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you set the AF to release priority, only use the rear button for AF, keep the camera/lens switches in AF at all times, and have a lens with quick-shift (the 60-250mm and 12-24mm do), then you should be able to accomplish exactly what you're describing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To expand on Adam's point, in the menus set AF on half press OFF. Then the only time the lens will focus is when you press the AF button. My K10D is set that way permanently. With a slow lens such as my DA 55-300, it can get "confused" and hunt all the way the long way round. I have Quick Shift (I can focus by finger as long as I don't have the AF motor running at the same time) so I set the focus close with the manual focus ring, then AF in tight, and correct slightly if the AF engine picks the wrong branch. It takes a few days of shooting before hitting the AF button becomes second nature, but it is worth it (to me, anyway).
05-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!! I will give it a try. It certainly sounds like what I am looking for.