Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 10:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 85
Canikon Fanboys

Today I was attending my six year old niece's ballet recital with my K-3 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. As I took my seat up front, the person siting next to me said "that's a nice little camera you have there."He then showed me his "dream camera' - a Canon 70d and the "awesome zoom lens" - a Sigma 18-300. He wanted me to hold it to feel how solid it was. I politely declined by saying "I'm good" and "You have a great set up." I'm not even sure how I was supposed to react to the brash and uninformed Canon fanboy - we'll let them live in their delusion while we Pentaxians just keep taking high quality pictures with the most intuitive, ergonomic, brilliant and underrated photographic system in the world

05-24-2015, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
Today I was attending my six year old niece's ballet recital with my K-3 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. As I took my seat up front, the person siting next to me said "that's a nice little camera you have there."He then showed me his "dream camera' - a Canon 70d and the "awesome zoom lens" - a Sigma 18-300. He wanted me to hold it to feel how solid it was. I politely declined by saying "I'm good" and "You have a great set up." I'm not even sure how I was supposed to react to the brash and uninformed Canon fanboy - we'll let them live in their delusion while we Pentaxians just keep taking high quality pictures with the most intuitive, ergonomic, brilliant and underrated photographic system in the world
+1, I would do the same thing if I were in your situation... and you can also tell by the general all purpose consumer grade big zoom lens he is using on 'dream camera' at indoor environment, no need to spoil someone's fun when they don't know better. Of course, it would be completely different if someone politely ask for your advice.
05-24-2015, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,700
If they were someone who should know better, you could attempt to correct their view of the world, but for some Uncle Joe just looking for validation, why not smile politely and agree? :-D
05-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 85
Original Poster
Which is what i did

05-25-2015, 12:29 AM - 8 Likes   #5
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,367
Your lens goes to 50, his goes to 300. Your camera is a '3', but his is a '70'.
You loose by a 317 point margin.
05-25-2015, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,816
Pentax currently does not address all market segments that Canon and Nikon address, especially regarding full frame and supertele lenses. However, I believe that in the APSC segment, Pentax products are correctly positioned.
So, there's absolutely no reason for a Canon customer to show off with a consumer camera, except by lack of knowledge about other brands.
05-25-2015, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,804
well, as much love as I have for Pentax, I must respect Canon for their work ! Yesterday I came to my friend's house for a little party and he has a 5D mark II hanging around, I tried it and it shocked me, the image produced is sharp, colors are great and the AF is instantaneous, I took a closer look at the lens, it's a 135mm f2. I saw another lens in his bag, a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I tried it also, stunning images ! I shot a lot with the FA 77mm (~115mm on FF) and the FA 31mm (~46mm on FF) but the Canon combos is so great that I'm speechless !!!
I can see now Canon is not just popular because of their marketing, they actually have great lens lineup, paired with high class camera. It's very pricey of course ^^
Way to go Pentax, I'm looking forward to your Pentax FF

Last edited by redcat; 05-25-2015 at 04:15 AM.
05-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,585
Probably that man was a newcomer to DSLR photography, he was very excited by his acquisition, and he wanted to share his joy with everyone on the planet. It's happening.

Hmm, If I remember well, I think that I did something like this when I have bought a new Pentax. Not with everyone on the planet, but surely with may friends.

05-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 78
I remember back in the Film days, a guy turned up with a Leica M6 and a couple of lenses, I thought he was using an el-cheapo camera as it didn't even have auto-focus!
We all know nothing at the beginning.
05-25-2015, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,630
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
well, as much love as I have for Pentax, I must respect Canon for their work ! Yesterday I came to my friend's house for a little party and he has a 5D mark II hanging around, I tried it and it shocked me, the image produced is sharp, colors are great and the AF is instantaneous, I took a closer look at the lens, it's a 135mm f2. I saw another lens in his bag, a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I tried it also, stunning images ! I shot a lot with the FA 77mm (~115mm on FF) and the FA 31mm (~46mm on FF) but the Canon combos is so great that I'm speechless !!!
I can see now Canon is not just popular because of their marketing, they actually have great lens lineup, paired with high class camera. It's very pricey of course ^^
Way to go Pentax, I'm looking forward to your Pentax FF
Talk about instantaneous response: My F 135 f2.8 blows the pants off my friends L 135/f2 lens, as fast on my K3 as his on the 70D. I've owned the Sigma Ex 50/1.4 and the 85/1.4 they didn't give my anything that my F 50/f1.4 and DA 70/f2.4 couldn't (I compared the two 50 and the pentax contrast and colors are on a whole other level to the EX)

I believe you got a bit razzled-dazzled by the size/newness factor, but IMO (even if we're to disregard the limited line) Pentax has never built bad lenses (or inferior to canon or nikon). Now you have the new D-Fa's from the looks of it the 150-450 blows the 100-400 out of the water, the rest we just have to wait and see. You wanna an amazing 50ish lens, get the DA* 55, with IQ as good as the Otus (Ca notwithstanding) for fraction of the cost.

You can always buy the Sigmas but your 5D friend will never get to experience the awesomeness of the 77 ltd....
05-25-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
bluestringer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cotton fields of South Georgia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
My response is always this: I had a canon/nikon a few years ago, I've been moving up every since.
05-25-2015, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,285
Why can't it be his dream camera? If it gets him pictures he's happy with and with a level of convenience he wants, what's wrong with that?
05-25-2015, 05:07 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 144
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Why can't it be his dream camera? If it gets him pictures he's happy with and with a level of convenience he wants, what's wrong with that?
It can't be. It's not fair. Another Pentaxian mocked me when I used my favorite body, ME super. Told me to get real camera...
05-25-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
well, as much love as I have for Pentax, I must respect Canon for their work ! Yesterday I came to my friend's house for a little party and he has a 5D mark II hanging around, I tried it and it shocked me, the image produced is sharp, colors are great and the AF is instantaneous, I took a closer look at the lens, it's a 135mm f2. I saw another lens in his bag, a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I tried it also, stunning images ! I shot a lot with the FA 77mm (~115mm on FF) and the FA 31mm (~46mm on FF) but the Canon combos is so great that I'm speechless !!!
I can see now Canon is not just popular because of their marketing, they actually have great lens lineup, paired with high class camera. It's very pricey of course ^^
Way to go Pentax, I'm looking forward to your Pentax FF
Well, if a 2k+ FF camera wasn't up to scratch, I would complain loudly...
05-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,804
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, if a 2k+ FF camera wasn't up to scratch, I would complain loudly...
I'm saving for that legend...wait for it...........wait for it............and still waiting for it ...................
A wait-for-it legend =))))
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, camera, canon, dslr, experience, interface, k-3, nikon, options, pentax, photography, post, question
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having some fun with the Fanboys Lurch Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 11-07-2013 12:16 PM
DXO are Canon - Nikon fanboys normhead Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 11-06-2011 12:09 PM
We hear about people switching to Canikon, anyone switched from Canikon to Pentax? Eric Seavey Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 08-08-2010 06:54 AM
Canon Fanboys losecontrol Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 12 06-08-2009 10:01 AM
Fanboys Pentax Jingle Bells Song MightyMike General Talk 7 12-25-2008 11:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top