05-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

What does all this mean

OVERVIEW
SPECS
IN THE BOX
REVIEWS
ACCESSORIES
Q&A
Do you really need more than 1 lens? Maybe not--this Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens for Pentax covers a lot of ground. The 10x zoom can be used on everything from landscape and portrait photos to sports action and wildlife photography. It uses 4 Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements for optimum color correction and sharpness through the entire zoom range, and a Hyper-Sonic Motor (HSM) provides quiet and high-speed auto focusing. The Optical Stabilization (OS) system allows you to use the lens even off a tripod to capture sharp, clear photos.

This 50-500mm lens is designed for use with Pentax DSLR cameras--with an APS-C-sized sensor, the effective zoom range is approximately 75-750mm in 35mm equivalent. Note: The Pentax mount tele converter cannot be used with this lens.

Note: Pentax mounts do not have an aperture ring--some functions may not work depending on the camera model.

Note: It is not possible to use the AF and the built-in OS function of this lens when attaching it to film SLR cameras as well as Pentax *ist series and K100D.

Note: When using the OS function of a lens with a camera which incorporates a stabilizer unit, please turn the camera's stabilizer unit off.

10x high zoom, ultra telephoto zoom lens
Designed for use with digital SLR cameras, including cameras with APS-C size sensors with an effective focal length of about 75 to 750mm.
OS System (Optical Stabilization) allowing handheld photography even in low-light situation
HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus
Four SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements provide optimum color correction & sharpness throughout the entire zoom range

I am new to this and I have a IST Ds and a K-50,Does this work like an auto focus lens that I have already? 18-55 &50-200

Thanks
Mike

05-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if the IST-DS supports in lens Auto Focus, but this lens will work perfectly fine on your K-50.

The lens does not use a screw drive for Auto Focus, it requires an extra set of contacts to power the AF motor in the lens and that feature was added in the K-10 and later models I believe.
05-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, is it better to get the older lens that is without the OS?
05-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Although the K10, and K100Ds had these contacts, along with several film cameras, they were used for the power zoom. Not for autofocus. power was not available when you press the shutter button. However it was available When you press the power zoom switch from one direction to the other. Swapping the direction / polarity of the power. This lens is not compatible with any camera made before the swap to HSM autofocus was made.

sorry, but it will not work with IST or K100Ds cameras.

05-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfdog Quote
It's the HSM designation most importantly. You would have to find the older versions that still had screw driven auto focus.

Your K-50 will work with all versions of this lens. It is just your IST-DS that would require the older version.

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Although the K10, and K100Ds had these contacts, along with several film cameras, they were used for the power zoom. Not for autofocus. power was not available when you press the shutter button. However it was available When you press the power zoom switch from one direction to the other. Swapping the direction / polarity of the power. This lens is not compatible with any camera made before the swap to HSM autofocus was made.

K-10d had a firmware upgrade that allowed it to work with SDM lenses iirc.
05-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote

Um... the k100d super specifically supports SDM and likely HSM. I own one and my SDM lenses work great on it.

More:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/38546-k100d-vs-k100d-super.html

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

That lens is heavy and not terribly easy to handle. Also 50mm isn't wide, so it is perhaps useful for most telephoto shots, but not one lens to rule them all...

Additionally, while the IQ it's good it not on par with the best lenses available based on comparison shots I have seen.

I don't own this lens. I have never held one, etc. I do have the DA* 60-250 which is smaller and it still feels like a lot of lens to take on an outing.
05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfdog Quote
The built in OS is not a bad thing on this lens because you also see the stabilization through the viewfinder. The lens has a button to turn stabilization on or off, if you turn it on, turn the camera's off. You can only use one method at a time - body or lens. It will work fine with your K-50, but not with the ist. I rented one for a few day a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it, it is big but I had no problem using it handheld. However when I bought I chose the DA* 300 over it because the DA is weatherized and faster, and has better image quality in my opinion. that extra 200mm is nice though.
05-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest walking backwards a bit and starting at the beginning.
  • What do you want to do with the lens?
  • What do you want to shoot in general - this lens or any lens?
  • Do you want to carry a 4.5 pound lens around?
  • What is so special about this lens that you want to buy it for ~$1k to $1,500 (new)

05-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
I want to shoot Birds & wildlife, in the wild, as wild as Iowa gets anyway. i have been told that this lens is great for that,it brings them in close.There are two for sale here on this web site,one with OS and one without OS.
I have the 18-55, 50-200, 80-320, 70-300, and none of them get the closeups I would like. I shoot out of a blind,they are close but not close enought.