Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Wasabis generally have a good reputation. I've got a couple each of the Wasabi D-Li109 and D-Li190 equivalents. Mine don't last quite as long (either stored or shooting) as my OEM Pentax batteries, although it may be that they aren't fully broken in - I use them less because of the shorter life.

The OP's batteries may have been damaged by improper storage (heat) or a cheap charger with a too-high voltage. At this point, I wouldn't trust those batteries for any important work, but I wouldn't blame it on the brand as a whole.

Here's a link to the manual for the K-5IIs. Battery selection with the grip installed is covered on page 267 (auto-select chooses the battery with the most power).
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5-2.pdf
Thank You for this as well, i had it work once with just the double A but then couldn't quite figure it out again, seemed to not want to do it again.

05-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #17

I agree with most here. I have wasabi batteries for a k-r, k-5iis and a k-3. They seem to have a slightly shorter life but it's not by much. I'd purchase them again and again.
05-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW My Wasabis work great and still going strong after 2 years with the K-5
05-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by clynnfrazierphoto Quote
Anyone who uses these, do they seem to last well for you? I got a K511S used and the battery charger and 2 wasabi batteries used, seems pretty great. Anyways after having them full charged they both managed to well one fully died with shooting a wedding for half a day, was completely dead by 4 pm, that was having off & on shooting since 9 am. And the other shortly that evening, is this normal? Should I just keep as back up and buy new, need help and everyone's input as I have a few more weddings this season, and don't want this happening again.

Also, for the battery grip, how do I use that as backup, i always keep the spare in there on the camera but off, is it draining the battery as well even with the grip switched off? I didn't get a manual with it, so how do I turn that on to be my backup battery or use as backup when main battery is dead, because I also got the double A holder with it.

Thank You in Advance!!!!
I have 2 Wasabi batteries for my K5-IIs. They seem to hold a charge as long or nearly as long as the Pentax branded equivalent.
I purchased a 2 two battery kit (2 batteries, quick charger, and 12v car adapter). I have never used the Wasabi quick charger. I use the Pentax charger exclusively. I've read that quick charging Li-ON batteries can shorten their life.

05-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzbk10 Quote
I have never used the Wasabi quick charger. I use the Pentax charger exclusively. I've read that quick charging Li-ON batteries can shorten their life.
My practice as well. I carry the Wasabi charger and car adapter with me on trips, but with no intent to use either

Steve
05-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #21

I can only agree with many of the above posts. I have had Wasabi batteries for both Canon and Pentax, and have had no problems.
06-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter

And that ("batt_Pentax") is an interesting name to use for a discussion of batteries in Pentax cams...

And welcome to the forum !!!

As for my on-topic contribution, I don't really have anything useful to add (since I do not have any Wasabi batteries myself). However, I've been reading the evaluations in this thread carefully, with an eye to tryng some Wasabi batteries (and charger/adapter). So, thanks for the input, everyone.