Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Camera repair centers- including Nikon and Canon- don't really inspect or dismantle the items sent to them anymore before quoting a price. Not uncommonly there are only two categories: standard repair and overhaul. Sometimes there is only one category. Somebody decided that taking a product apart and giving an estimate that can be refused after work has been done is not the best way to make money. They kind of average the real costs of the most common repairs and quote that.

05-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
True. I saw same thing for Sony NEX camera repair.
CRIS let us describe what's the problem, SDM? zoom mechanism? and quote accordingly.
Do they really charge the quote price, or will bill a different price accordingly after inspect the lens?
05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
True. I saw same thing for Sony NEX camera repair.
CRIS let us describe what's the problem, SDM? zoom mechanism? and quote accordingly.
Do they really charge the quote price, or will bill a different price accordingly after inspect the lens?
I've wondered this too... if they quote 350 dollars, do they always charge at least 350 or is that just the vague quote and it could be 75 dollars for a repair?

And what happens if it is over their quote.. if they tell you 350 and you say go ahead and fix and it turns out to be 600 then what?

Also, what exactly is involved in a lens calibration?
05-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
if they quote 350 dollars, do they always charge at least 350 or is that just the vague quote and it could be 75 dollars for a repair?

And what happens if it is over their quote.. if they tell you 350 and you say go ahead and fix and it turns out to be 600 then what?
That is exactly why I still haven't sent the lenses to precision camera.

05-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just because Pentax dropped Criscam as their authorized warranty repair shop doesn't mean that Criscam is not in business anymore.

I've had very good results from Criscam in the past and will still send them my out of warranty work.
05-29-2015, 05:33 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
doesn't mean that Criscam is not in business anymore
Good point!
But when I tried their repair quote page, a window of "not pentax authorized anymore" popped out when I selected "pentax" in the "maker" and won't let me go further. Did you call them to start paperwork?
05-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Good point!
But when I tried their repair quote page, a window of "not pentax authorized anymore" popped out when I selected "pentax" in the "maker" and won't let me go further. Did you call them to start paperwork?
Good catch. I haven't had to send anything in so haven't even tried their web page until you just posted this. I just assumed that they would still repair Pentax gear.

Hmmm - I guess if the occasion arrised I will call them.

Although I haven't tried them I've also heard good reviews about United Camera
05-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just because Pentax dropped Criscam as their authorized warranty repair shop doesn't mean that Criscam is not in business anymore.

I've had very good results from Criscam in the past and will still send them my out of warranty work.
The question is who can get parts from Pentax and it seems that when Pentax shifted to Precision Repair from CRIS, that CRIS lost their ability to get parts.

05-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The question is who can get parts from Pentax and it seems that when Pentax shifted to Precision Repair from CRIS, that CRIS lost their ability to get parts.
That sounds right. But then how can United Camera get Pentax parts I wonder......

I guess I am talking out my butt with all this anyway - just had good experience with CrisCam in the past but haven't needed anything repaired in a few years now. I am one to use factory type service for things like taking my pick-up to a Ford dealer for repairs even though it is long out of warranty. So with that said I guess I would just give Precision Camera a go to see how I would be treated.
05-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I recall others posting that if it was less than the estimated price they were charged the actual amount. If it's more they will send you a revised estimate for your approval before proceeding with the work. Same as with auto repair.
05-29-2015, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my recent experience with Precision. I have a DA 50-135 that started acting strangely. When the zoom ring was turned the focusing distance would change in the window. The zoom ring itself would get stuck toward the 135 end. I was thinking that the rubber seal between two parts of the barrel had broken. It didn't feel like the SDM problem with which I am familiar. I went to Precision's website and sure enough there is only one price to repair this lens (regardless of what the problem is) at it is $306 (plus shipping). I tried calling them several times to see if the price would be different if it's just the rubber gasket that needs to be replaced. Could not get through. I called CRIS because I've dealt with them before for an SDM repair and spoke to customer service. They told me they could not help at all because they had to return all of their Pentax calibration equipment.

So I sent the lens to Precision after submitting the request and getting an order number. It took about 5 days before the order appeared in their system. Within a day or two, it showed that the lens was being repaired. Another day or two is showed it was out of repairs and was going to be shipped. I got it back a few days after that. The issue was addressed. Now the zoom ring is very smooth. Almost too smooth? And definitely easier to turn than the zoom ring on my 60-250. Otherwise, the lens appears to function properly. The invoice I received back did not indicate exactly what was done. (I was hoping to see something like "new SDM motor installed")

Bottom line, I think Precision's prices appear to be high for what needed to be done to my lens as it's one price regardless of the repair. There is no communication at all. No one answers the phone. However, the website does provide updates and, in my case, the repair was very fast. If there were other choices, I would explore them, but at this point it appears it's Precision or nothing. So if I had to have another repair, I would send it in to Precision and hope for the best.

Hope this helps.
05-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lenp Quote
Hope this helps
You post helps. thanks
How much did you pay at the end? $306 + shipping as quoted? My last CRIS repair of 16-50 for both zoom stuck and SDM issue costed ~$260. plus they replace the chip board of the lens. It took very very long though, waiting for parts.
05-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I paid $306 plus shipping both ways. I think my repair was quick because they did not have to wait for parts.
05-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've wondered this too... if they quote 350 dollars, do they always charge at least 350 or is that just the vague quote and it could be 75 dollars for a repair?
That is what I was told over the phone by their customer service. The initial quote is intended to insure that funds are available (either warranty or by binding the credit card) to allow the repair to proceed.

Steve
05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is my understanding as well. It is also my understanding that they are still an authorized Pentax repair facility, though not for warranty work. That may not still be the case. That being said, even if they accept a job, they may contract the actual work out to Precision or another shop (common industry practice).* Welcome to the strange world of camera repair.

Steve

* My local repair guy (Mike Knight at Knight Camera here in Vancouver) does the repair work for Blue Moon in Portland. He shared that tidbit with me some years ago.