Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It is just a shutter button. I'm wondering if I should just ditch the camera and get another used one.

05-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It took a couple months to get my K-30 back from them when I sent it in late last year for aperture control block. Most of that was waiting for the part to arrive. I emailed Ricoh after waiting what I considered long enough and by some miracle, the repair work began the same day I emailed Ricoh. Anyway, I have since noted that people with K-30 and K-50's with this aperture control block problem have been getting their repairs done very quickly. I think Precision must have gotten in a large shipment of those modules.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have to send your camera in for warranty repair, just hope they already have the part in stock.
07-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #33
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lenp Quote
Here is my recent experience with Precision. I have a DA 50-135 that started acting strangely. When the zoom ring was turned the focusing distance would change in the window. The zoom ring itself would get stuck toward the 135 end. I was thinking that the rubber seal between two parts of the barrel had broken. It didn't feel like the SDM problem with which I am familiar. I went to Precision's website and sure enough there is only one price to repair this lens (regardless of what the problem is) at it is $306 (plus shipping). I tried calling them several times to see if the price would be different if it's just the rubber gasket that needs to be replaced. Could not get through. I called CRIS because I've dealt with them before for an SDM repair and spoke to customer service. They told me they could not help at all because they had to return all of their Pentax calibration equipment.

So I sent the lens to Precision after submitting the request and getting an order number. It took about 5 days before the order appeared in their system. Within a day or two, it showed that the lens was being repaired. Another day or two is showed it was out of repairs and was going to be shipped. I got it back a few days after that. The issue was addressed. Now the zoom ring is very smooth. Almost too smooth? And definitely easier to turn than the zoom ring on my 60-250. Otherwise, the lens appears to function properly. The invoice I received back did not indicate exactly what was done. (I was hoping to see something like "new SDM motor installed")

Bottom line, I think Precision's prices appear to be high for what needed to be done to my lens as it's one price regardless of the repair. There is no communication at all. No one answers the phone. However, the website does provide updates and, in my case, the repair was very fast. If there were other choices, I would explore them, but at this point it appears it's Precision or nothing. So if I had to have another repair, I would send it in to Precision and hope for the best.

Hope this helps.

This does.. in the way I didn't want it to. But wow that is horrible. they charged you 300+ dollars for that repair!! My guess is it cost much less than that but customers don't know so they just charge the quoted estimate if it is at or lower than that and provide a new estimate if it is over.

I was sooo close to sending in my 50-135 to them today but decided to take another look. I've sent 2 or 3 messages to Precision over the past 2 weeks and no response on any of them. I've sent 2 messages to Ricoh repair/customer support in the same time period and no response. I sent 1 message to KEH repair and they responded within 48 hours.

United camera and CRIS don't have Pentax in their repairable manufacturers list.. so I think both are out.

I think I'm just going to send the lens to KEH.. but I know the repair isn't worth 200 dollars (since they charge a flat 200 dollars for zoom lenses).. what a dilemma. All I need are a few contact springs and a couple rubber seals for around the zoom ring. A few dollars worth of parts and probably 50-100 dollars worth of labor (that I could do myself!). ugh.

---------- Post added 07-03-15 at 02:27 PM ----------

What about this place? Camera Clinic USA - Professional Camera and Lens Repair Services

The text box in the right corner has me a little concerned though "Some descriptive text here.... a little about camera clinic or how there are multiple repairs every day and how you love to share them....blah Some kind of photo perhaps"

In any case, I sent them a message for a quote. He has positive reviews on his FB page.. looks to just not be into social media/internet stuff. But I never realized how important a good repair facility was until I needed one.. wow.

Last edited by mee; 07-03-2015 at 12:37 PM.
07-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #34
mee
Pentaxian

btw Midwest just got back with me.. within 1 hour!!!

sadly.. this is their response:

QuoteQuote:
We have been having very difficult time getting parts from Pentax, It would be best for you to contact them directly as a customer.

Midwest

07-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
btw Midwest just got back with me.. within 1 hour!!!

sadly.. this is their response:
I'm afraid you'll get the same answer from anywhere that is not an authorized repair/service center.

Picture Perfect Unlimited used to be an authorized repair center - they are no longer listed on Ricoh's site - but then Precision is the only listed repair/service center in the US.

The question is if Picture Perfect is still authorized and Ricoh is just not listing other centers as an oversight. The easiest way to find out is to contact Picture Perfect as their website still lists Ricoh and Pentax - even though the pages are years out of date.

Picture Perfect Unlimited - camera repair and sales of Pentax cameras
07-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #36
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm afraid you'll get the same answer from anywhere that is not an authorized repair/service center.

Picture Perfect Unlimited used to be an authorized repair center - they are no longer listed on Ricoh's site - but then Precision is the only listed repair/service center in the US.

The question is if Picture Perfect is still authorized and Ricoh is just not listing other centers as an oversight. The easiest way to find out is to contact Picture Perfect as their website still lists Ricoh and Pentax - even though the pages are years out of date.

Picture Perfect Unlimited - camera repair and sales of Pentax cameras
Yep it seems, so far, that Precision is our only option in the USA. That said, I sent PPU an email. They have the dodgiest website I've ever seen for a serious company though.
07-04-2015, 05:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I took a leap of faith and sent my DA* 16-50 to KEH last week for an SDM repair.

Looking at their web page of flat rate pricing under lenses it says "film camera lenses". So I called them and asked about repairing my lens - the lady on the phone just said it would ba charged as a zoom lens and to send it in. I have a very strong feeling that I will get a phone call or email next week saying they cant get the parts.

I thought I would give it a try since I've had such great service from KEH both buying and selling. If not - oh well - I'll just send it off to Precision when I get it back.
07-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I took a leap of faith and sent my DA* 16-50 to KEH last week for an SDM repair.

Looking at their web page of flat rate pricing under lenses it says "film camera lenses". So I called them and asked about repairing my lens - the lady on the phone just said it would ba charged as a zoom lens and to send it in. I have a very strong feeling that I will get a phone call or email next week saying they cant get the parts.

I thought I would give it a try since I've had such great service from KEH both buying and selling. If not - oh well - I'll just send it off to Precision when I get it back.
I would be very interested to know if KEH repairs your lens and how well they do. I started a thread when I checked KEH and Precision Camera quotes for a repair on my DA 70 mm Limited. The quote from KEH was half what Precision quoted. Three responses I received on my thread suggested Eric in Tennessee who has favorable reviews on this forum. I ended up sending my lens to Eric. I will post on my thread, my experience when I get the lens back. Yours may be a more complicated repair since the SDM may need replacement. Mine is just for sticky aperture blades and a loose inner barrel which hopefully will just be cleaning and tightening inner components.

07-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #39
Pentaxian

If it is a repair that doesn't require parts then any competent lens repair service can work on it. If parts are required it looks like it is S.O.L. and you have to send it to Precision. Unless you can get parts from a donor lens.
07-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #40
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If it is a repair that doesn't require parts then any competent lens repair service can work on it. If parts are required it looks like it is S.O.L. and you have to send it to Precision. Unless you can get parts from a donor lens.
Yep Eric flat out told me in email he cannot get parts from Pentax.

---------- Post added 07-04-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

Please let us know what happens. That should be a 200 dollar flat rate repair.. not bad for a new SDM.

That is the opposite side of the flat rate pricing.. where it works to your advantage (provided they dot he repair) . I'm on the other end where its probably an 80-150 dollar repair yet will pay 200 if I go there. But it would be great to know, in advance, if they fix it.

I sent KEH an email a couple of weeks ago explaining what I needed done (2 weather seals and contact springs for a 50-135) and they said they were pretty confident they could repair it within the flat fee rate. So that was somewhat hopeful..
07-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member

As I said above I'm pretty sure I will be getting the lens shipped back unrepaired. The woman on the phone didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about.

I'll update when I hear something.
07-09-2015, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Update - I received a shipping confirmation email this morning from KEH. In that email was also an item summary detail which says "Repaired Item" along with the serial number of my lens.

I had shipped it to them on Monday 6/29 which they received on Wednesday 7/1. Even with the holiday in there it was repaired and shipped in 8 days (5 business days). So that is fantastic - curious to see if there is an invoice included which shows exactly what they did and what parts used.

I'll probably receive it on Monday - no tracking info on the FedEx site yet.
07-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I just sent my K-3 to them for some warranty work. The remote cable release jack quit working properly and to have the shutter run on issue taken care of. They should have it Monday. I'll post updates as I get them.
07-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #44
Forum Member

Update - I received a shipping confirmation email this morning from KEH. In that email was also an item summary detail which says "Repaired Item" along with the serial number of my lens.

I had shipped it to them on Monday 6/29 which they received on Wednesday 7/1. Even with the holiday in there it was repaired and shipped in 8 days (5 business days). So that is fantastic - curious to see if there is an invoice included which shows exactly what they did and what parts used.

I'll probably receive it on Monday - no tracking info on the FedEx site yet.

I'm wondering if KEH can do some Pentax repairs that others cannot because KEH, at least, might have a stock of "ugly" graded trade-ins from which to cannibalize spare parts. So whether they can repair a particular lens or camera depends on their used part supply for that particular item, and on whether the repair requires Pentax-specific tools or test equipment.
07-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
I'm wondering if KEH can do some Pentax repairs that others cannot because KEH, at least, might have a stock of "ugly" graded trade-ins from which to cannibalize spare parts. So whether they can repair a particular lens or camera depends on their used part supply for that particular item, and on whether the repair requires Pentax-specific tools or test equipment.
I'm sure they would do that to fix lenses that they own - bought from people/estates for resale. But in the case of an outright repair of a lens they do not own I certainly hope they wouldn't do that - especially with SDM

I don't know if this is a new thing since CrisCam is out and Precision is in as the authorized repair facility. Maybe they could purchase parts from Pentax/CrisCam then but they can't now? Also it is just hear-say that places like KEH can't get Pentax parts. The only reason I can think of why they couldn't now is a possible contract with Precision where all parts for Pentax in the US has to be channeled through them. And even if that were the case why wouldn't Precision sell parts in bulk to KEH? If KEH couldn't get Pentax parts it would put a bit of a restriction on their business in both selling used lenses and doing repairs.

But what do I know.....??