Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Precision Camera Repair

I did business with CRIS last summer, and was very pleased with their customer service and pricing. They stopped servicing Pentax, and I sent my K-5iis to Precision, they are going to charge me $230 to repair the shutter button. Does this seem reasonable? It didn't seem reasonable to me.

05-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you sure it's about the shutter button and not the shutter itself?
Maybe the employee you spoke with got confused.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 05-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
05-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

I can't say about that particular issue, but recently I had two lens re-calibrated, and Precision wanted $333 for each. CRIS use to charge $195. I pointed that out to Precision, and they knocked off $100 on each lens. Let's all jawbone them and maybe it will help.
05-28-2015, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #4

Good News

This is actually good news to me in that you actually were able to talk to some one.

05-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$333 for lens recalibration? IMO, that is seriously out of control.
05-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Forum Member

one offtopic question...

how do you know when a lens have to be recalibrated?
or rather what has to happen?
05-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
unfortunately sony has contracted out all of their camera repairs to precision camera, and the reports coming back are not good... it looks like the only way to get real service on a sony camera is to enroll in their pro support plan, which requires ownership of two camera bodies, proof of pro-level work, and $100/yr.

lots of complaints over the years with the bbb, even tho pcr isn't a member of the bbb: Precision Camera & Video Repair, Inc. Review - Photographic Equipment - Repair in Enfield, CT - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Connecticut

look at the yelp reviews: Precision Camera - Photography Stores & Services - Enfield, CT - Yelp

like mgm2 says, the fact that someone actually answered the phone is a miracle of it's own... i would steer clear of this company, if at all possible.
05-28-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, this may a deal breaker on me getting a Pentax FF (or next Pentax DSLR) if something isn't resolved with Precision Camera by the time I decide to make the purchase.

I've dealt with CRIS in the past and was happy with their service.

Check out this Precision Camera review:

Terrible customer service. I sent them a Sony 24-70 lens which was covered by an extended accidental damage warranty. They received the lens on December 31, 2014. After several weeks they told me they would not fix the lens since there was no warranty, even though the documentation was included with my shipment to them I sent them another copy of the warranty. After a month and radio silence from Precision Camera, Sony replaced the lens directly. By mistake, Sony sent two copies of the lens to me. I informed Sony and was told to send the duplicate to Precision Camera. Precision Camera received the lens in February brand new in the box with all of the seals intact. Precision Camera called me today with an estimate of $323 to "repair" the brand new lens which was clearly marked as "duplicate".

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS603US60...3bddef9c26fd,1

Last edited by dcpropilot; 05-28-2015 at 03:16 PM.
05-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
They received the lens on December 31, 2014. After several weeks they told me they would not fix the lens since there was no warranty
This would be a Sony problem. PCR has had similar problems with Ricoh. No repair facility will perform warranty service until agreement to pay is received from the warrantor. Ricoh has been slow to respond to those requests and it is a common cause of long turnaround times from PCR. One would think that proof of payment along with a warranty card should be adequate, but it is not. Here in the U.S. there are plenty of gray market cameras for which the U.S. warranty does not apply.

Steve
05-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
like mgm2 says, the fact that someone actually answered the phone is a miracle of it's own...
I had no difficulty reaching them by phone during business hours.

Steve
05-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
unfortunately sony has contracted out all of their camera repairs to precision camera, and the reports coming back are not good... it looks like the only way to get real service on a sony camera is to enroll in their pro support plan, which requires ownership of two camera bodies, proof of pro-level work, and $100/yr.

lots of complaints over the years with the bbb, even tho pcr isn't a member of the bbb: Precision Camera & Video Repair, Inc. Review - Photographic Equipment - Repair in Enfield, CT - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Connecticut

look at the yelp reviews: Precision Camera - Photography Stores & Services - Enfield, CT - Yelp

like mgm2 says, the fact that someone actually answered the phone is a miracle of it's own... i would steer clear of this company, if at all possible.
I checked out the BBB.org website for Precision Camera Repair and expected to see a D or an F rating, but the BBB gives them an A. So, I am not sure how bad they really are. I have no experience with either CRIS or Precision as all of my Pentax equipment has been trouble free. I may look for a repair on my DA 70 Limited, which I bought used. The aperture seems a bit sluggish compared to my other lenses and the inner barrel has a bit of a wobble that my other Limiteds do not have. Still not sure if it is worth it to send the lens to them. Despite its issues it takes good pictures.
05-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent my K-50 to Precision in late March. They repaired it under warranty and had it back on it's way to me within 2 days. I was shocked! Total turnaround time including 2-way shipping was less than 2 week, closer to 1 week if I recall correctly. I had heard the horror stories but having no viable alternative I sent it in and was very happy with the service.
05-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Maybe Precision has gotten their act together. Time will tell.
05-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I sent my K-50 to Precision in late March. They repaired it under warranty and had it back on it's way to me within 2 days. I was shocked! Total turnaround time including 2-way shipping was less than 2 week, closer to 1 week if I recall correctly. I had heard the horror stories but having no viable alternative I sent it in and was very happy with the service.
Nice!!
05-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess a lot of problems were from their website, from their communication and information updating.
For example, most found it is hard to reach them by email; they almost never reply. Many found it is hard to find someone knows what going on via phone, if they are luck enough to catch someone.
Their webpage for repair is terrible. in the quote page, you will be asked the lens/camera model. but then without asking what is the issue, they give you the price and the next page is to pay! -- I stopped there so there might be different thing after that but I didn't want to proceed.

since the price is same (according to their price quote, regardless the problem) I guess I should send them a rear lens cap and told then the rest parts of the new 70-200/2.8 lens is completely damaged. please repair it. And see what happens.

I am sure they will adjust the price, but all in a grey box which scars me.