Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

K10D, which camera next

Hi,

I have a Pentax K10D and I think it is about to give up in the near future, so I'm looking for a replacement.
I have been very happy with the K10D, but currently am not taking as many pictures as I used to, so I'm not sure if I should stick to an SLR. I now sometimes leave my bacpkack (with camera and lenses) at home, because of the hassle (which is a pity)

What am I looking for:
  • A good weaterproof, shockproof camera (ski-proof, corrugated road trips proof, boat proof)
  • Being able to cover the 18-300mm range
  • A better sensor and more pixels than the 10M I now have
  • Being able to play with some of the settings (whitebalance, autofocus on moving objects, long shutter times, over, - underexposure). Although I now more point and shoot, I still want to be able to experiment now and then
  • A camera with a quiet autofocus (that's the one thing I didn't like about the K10D)
  • being able to use it for incidental filming
I'm definitely not looking for an upgrade (more pro, - expensive camera), maybe even downgrade (smaller, cheaper) but with good quality

I know this could go anywhere, but feedback and or experience is very welcome.

Cheers

05-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Something like this, perhaps?

It would certainly cover most of your wish list save for the super-zoom coverage.

I must know, though, what in the world is 'corrugated road trip proof'?
05-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Quote
Hi,

I have a Pentax K10D and I think it is about to give up in the near future, so I'm looking for a replacement.
I have been very happy with the K10D, but currently am not taking as many pictures as I used to, so I'm not sure if I should stick to an SLR. I now sometimes leave my bacpkack (with camera and lenses) at home, because of the hassle (which is a pity)

What am I looking for:
  • A good weaterproof, shockproof camera (ski-proof, corrugated road trips proof, boat proof)
  • Being able to play with some of the settings (whitebalance, autofocus on moving objects, long shutter times, over, - underexposure). Although I now more point and shoot, I still want to be able to experiment now and then
  • A camera with a quiet autofocus (that's the one thing I didn't like about the K10D)
I'm definitely not looking for an upgrade (more pro, - expensive camera), maybe even downgrade (smaller, cheaper) but with good quality

Cheers
A few of these criteria are mutually-exclusive, i.e. if you'd like a really long lens, the sensor will have to be small. Also, I don't think very many (if any) bridge cameras have waterproofing, so you should either get a separate waterproof camera or just be careful. But I'd focus on bridge cameras and high-end compacts as it sounds like that's what you're interested in. Here are some ideas:

Panasonic DMC-FZ70 Digital Camera DMC-FZ70K B&H Photo
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Digital Camera 6352B001 B&H Photo Video
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Digital Camera DMC-FZ200K B&H Photo
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Digital Camera DSC-HX400V/B B&H Photo
Nikon COOLPIX P530 Digital Camera (Black) 26464 B&H Photo Video
Nikon COOLPIX P610 Digital Camera (Black) 26488 B&H Photo Video
Nikon COOLPIX L840 Digital Camera (Red) 26486 B&H Photo Video

Advanced compact:

Canon PowerShot G1 X Digital Camera 5249B001 B&H Photo Video
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (Black) DSCRX100/B B&H
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Digital Camera (Black) DMC-ZS50K B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

I can't think of any camera which meets all of your requirements, but the Sony RX10 seems to come closest. The zoom range is a bit shorter than what you would like, but it is well made, has a degree of weather sealing, pretty compact without too many compromises, lots of megapixels, full control if you want it, good quiet autofocus and good video. It is quite pricey though. The Panasonic FZ1000 has the zoom range and is cheaper but isn't weather sealed. It's also bigger, but considering the zoom range it still makes for a pretty small package.

If you are wanting a 'better sensor' than the K10D then I'm thinking that the smaller sensor compacts may disappoint in terms of image quality.

05-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

What am I looking for:

Cheers
Take a close look at the micro 4/3rds offerings such as the OMD-E1 and OMD-5ii weather resistant cameras.
05-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Why not another Pentax DSLR K series....such as the K-5, K-3 series. In 2011, I felt my K10D, bought new in 2007, was going to not make it much longer, just because of all the use I had got out of it.

So I bought a new K-5. BTW...both the K-5 and K10D are still going strong.

I think you maybe disappointed with some of the smaller sensor cameras you are considering and if you're looking to buy with not so much money...consider a used K-5.
05-30-2015, 03:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, after reading the feedbacks I think I didn't emphasize the quality of my pics enough. It should not decrease. So maybe I should rethink what I really need.
I also do have an underwater camera, so it doesn't need to be waterproof or something like that, but it needs to be solid build and be able to handle dust, sand, waterdrops and vibrations (the corrugated road part). My K10 was perfect for that.

I will look into the bridge camera's, the sony and the K5.
Ps: as a reference, could I compare my K10 to the more recent K30 or 50?

thanks again
05-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ps: as a reference, could I compare my K10 to the more recent K30 or 50?

thanks again
Nope, they're much better. I updated from a K10D to a K5 (which has the same sensor as the K30/50), and the difference really has been big. Faster AF, better dynamic range, way more usable at high ISOs. Where I set my auto range from 100 to 800 on my K10D, I set it to 100-3200 on my K5.

The K10D is a good camera; the newer ones are just much better

PS: Sounds like you've got some great country to explore if you're facing corrugated roads.

06-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I must know, though, what in the world is 'corrugated road trip proof'?
This is a "washboard" road, also meaning very rough with deep ripples in the road that shakes you, the vehicle, and anything in it!