Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In-camera jpeg sharpening.

Do any of you use it? If so, how much? (I've tried it and can tell very little, if any difference. I will ASSUME this is my poor eyesight and NOT faulty cameras.) Is it possible to use "too much" in-camera sharpening?

05-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Do any of you use it? If so, how much? (I've tried it and can tell very little, if any difference. I will ASSUME this is my poor eyesight and NOT faulty cameras.) Is it possible to use "too much" in-camera sharpening?
It's certainly possible to over-sharpen. I usually leave the slider in the middle, though sometimes it's better to turn it all the way down and sharpen in post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

In your camera's Info menu, you can select the jpeg mode. There you press Info again and you can adjust it. You can adjust the amount of sharpening, and even the type (regular and fine. Not sure what the differences are, there has been some debate, but we have no official explanation as far as I know). Yes, there can be too much. Just try it, take two photos, one with default setting and one with max setting.
05-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes it is especially if you are using a camera such as the K-5IIs or the K3 that come without the AA filter. I sometimes have to turn down the in-camera sharpening to avoid moire or other unpleasant artifacts.

06-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Do any of you use it?
Never

Is it possible to use "too much" in-camera sharpening?
Definitely

Steve
06-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're looking on the camera LCD screen then I'd doubt there would be much difference to see. But viewed large on a computer monitor then you should see noticeable differences, certainly with more than 1 step adjustments.

I believe the ' fine 1 ' and ' fine 2' settings work on a smaller radius of pixels than the general sharpening slider .... So they would affect finer details such as trees and foliage, sand etc.