Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
noise insidie my K3

I nave had my first two-days sport photo shooting event and I experienced a couple of things that almost made me panic.
1) noise inside the camera. I started feeling these strange vibrations in my hands. I thought the lens was loosen. Instead it was the same noise the camera makes when in live view mode, but I was not in live view mode. This happened twice. I had to turn it off to make it stop.
2) the camera got frozen while in photo playback. I had to remove the batteries to reset it.

Anybody?

06-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had my K-3 lock up three times in the last year (just under 10,000 exposures), but no phantom vibrations.

Steve
06-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
1) noise inside the camera. I started feeling these strange vibrations in my hands. I thought the lens was loosen. Instead it was the same noise the camera makes when in live view mode, but I was not in live view mode. This happened twice. I had to turn it off to make it stop.
This is normal following a half-press, since the SR mechanism is active at that time. The longer your focal length, the louder the sound may be.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K3 froze up a couple of times when I first got it last fall, no occurrences since.

What firmware version is installed on your camera?

06-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is normal following a half-press, since the SR mechanism is active at that time. The longer your focal length, the louder the sound may be.
I've been using the K3 for 4 months and I never felt/heard that noise beside in live view.

Second day of shooting the sport event, I didn't hear it anymore.

Scary!
06-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 will occasionally lock up when it tries swapping from the grip to the battery in the camera. Its annoying, but I've learned to just avoid it by not letting the grip get low or removing it entirely depending on the situation at hand.
06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only time my K3's locked up was when I was using slow cards.
06-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
The only time my K3's locked up was when I was using slow cards.
Mmmm maybe that is why it happened to me. I was using a slow card, borrowed from the company I was shooting for. Bad bad bad!

06-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
I nave had my first two-days sport photo shooting event and I experienced a couple of things that almost made me panic.
2) the camera got frozen while in photo playback. I had to remove the batteries to reset it.

Anybody?
Vibration is likely, as others have noted, shake reduction.

as to the "freeze" while not a K3, and i honestly cant remember now if it was my K5 or K7, you could get into some funny and inconsistent states when the batteries get low. The only time i experienced this was in florida, at a bluejay's spring training game. i had to pull the battery and leave it out for a while before it reset itself, can't tell you firmware version at the time,but it has never repeated since. I also can't tell whether it was pentax battery or after market.

One thing i did notice thougfh, is at low batteries (again at that same time) photo review was very inconsistent, due to incorrect intermittent function of the thumbwheels, i think there was a coordination issue between low battery level and low voltage limits for operation on the thumbwheel. Again this was when it was very hot, and battery behavior is temperature dependent. i have had the cameras hotter since, and never had the same problem so i suspect this was addressed on the K5/7 firmware long ago. Cant comment further on K3
07-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As I have had this happening few times, I can assure that it is not a shake reduction.
I am pretty sure that, at least in my case, it was a mirror instead. And the camera was unresponding so that I had to take a battery out. K-3 with v1.11 and later with v1.20 and v1.21.

My camera went repairs to Sweden. But they did not find anything. (And the same time I complained about leaking seal rings of my K-3. They did not find any problem in those either).

Possibly they cleaned my camera anyway, because after the trip this malfunction has not happened so far. So perhaps one possible reason in my case was, that there was some sand or dust particle preventing the mirror to work correctly. Or some water in a wrong place.