Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a B&W only camera?
Yes 1414.14%
May be, if price is right 2727.27%
LoL! Why would i ? 5858.59%
I am rich and i will buy a Leica & use it with Apple Photos App   00%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

I think I would, if it was at a reasonable price. From what I've read of Leica's monochromes is that the sensor is able to have a much higher definition, due to not having the RGGB format. Essentially every pixel reads light, rather than one going for red, one for blue and two for green. I can't say that I'd blindly buy such a camera, but it'd definitely be something I'd look into!

06-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Why would I? I can get much better control doing a B&W conversion using Lightroom. Is there any real technical advantage to using a monochrome sensor?
06-02-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already have likely the best full frame B&W AF body there is, a PZ-1
06-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I would, if they made a Monochrome version of the K-01

Last edited by disconnekt; 06-02-2015 at 10:07 PM.
06-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Is there any real technical advantage to using a monochrome sensor?
Yes...no Bayer array and higher dynamic range. The disadvantages are that it is not possible to manipulate the color curves in PP, meaning that the photographer is limited to "real" optical filters.

Steve
06-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For sure I will buy one... Higher resolution and higher dynamic range speak for itself...
06-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Heck, I could just set it to monochrome - a lot less fuss even if less effective. At least that way I get to use digital filters rather than depend on coloured glass . I used to enjoy the working with the discipline of a b/w film in the old MX, you've given me the impetus to take my rambling thought a little more seriously. It will be just like the old days, one camera with Ektachrome 100 asa, the other with Ilford HPR 400 asa.
Hi there, I have explored this setup with a K20D when I was anticipating moving to the k3 here
06-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

No. I use my digital filters to convert any image I wish to B+W. Don't think Pentax should make a monochrome. I can't imagine many sales.

06-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Just use a Sigma DP Merrill camera and use their dedicated Monochrome mode, I really don't see the need for a dedicated B&W niche camera.

06-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I would. though preferably in a GR or range-finder type body, not necessarily in a DSlr. late last year Samsung were rumoured to be working on a dedicated mono version of the NX300. i'd be tempted by that style of camera, but it never emerged.

I see leica have just launched a new Monochrom with the 24 meg cmos sensor. at $8k, they can afford such a niche camera. not sure anyone else ever will though, it'd need to be cheap and limited production runs would likely make it un-economic to be cheap.

bottom line, if Pentax build one i can afford, i'd buy it. probably more so than just upgrading to the latest k3 etc, because i'm already happy with my k5.
06-03-2015, 01:07 AM   #26
Site Supporter

B/W dslr yes, but perhaps better in a small mirrorless model that takes K mount lenses.

or what i would most like is a digital LX, no video or the rest of that add on stuff, just a simple camera
06-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I said yes in the voting, but i am not sure. With a mirrorless you can have B/W mode, but with the same resolution. Then Pentax show pics of the K3 Prestige Edition or gunmetal grey, i was hope they make something extra of the camera. And a B/W sensor had been something extra. With a price around 1500€/$ and that nice grey colour i have buy it. I said it at Photokina and they say that it be hard to sale it, but at that time it was already in the market, so that could they said... With high resolution and making B/W pics with filters on landscapes and at streets is great. To make a B/W pics of a colour photo later at home isnīt the same thing. Then you make a colour photo, you think colour and then you take B/W photos you think in B/W.
A Richo GR M are probably more interesting for me than a GR2.
06-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #28

A monochrome GR would be perfect! I would definitely buy it ...
06-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

If money wasn't an issue, sure. But I think some time in the next few years sensors without bayer filter (like Foveon) will become more available, which would eliminate the desire for a separate camera that can generate true monochrome.
06-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Too expensive and inflexible for a DSLR, IMO. Resale potential into a small niche market would be minimal.

Being cynical, anyone who can afford Leica can afford a black and white only camera. Otherwise, Pentax (if you're listening), just pull aside your best software engineer and get them to write a really good algorithm for it. Then set it up as an option on the RAW/Fx button with options in menu to save as monochrome only or save as monochrome and colour.