Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a B&W only camera?
Yes 1414.14%
May be, if price is right 2727.27%
LoL! Why would i ? 5858.59%
I am rich and i will buy a Leica & use it with Apple Photos App   00%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A Monochrome Pentax D-SLR! Would you buy it?

Although we already have 2 digital cameras that only shoots B&W from Leica, their price is very steep for consumer market. And even if any brand will try something similar it will probably be Fuji,rather than Pentax.

But lets say Pentax is releasing K-S2M or K-3M. Same features as the original models only sporting a new sensor lacking a colour array, like Leica Monochrome, with a similar launch price of Pentax models i have mentioned.

or

Q-M1 which is same as Q-S1 but with a new monochrome sensor and a viewfinder. With market price of £300- £400.

Would you buy such a niche camera from any brand if price is reasonable?

06-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. I can create b/w in post.
06-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A monochrome sensor GR, sure. A DSLR? Not for me.
06-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not in a DSLR, but I'd certainly bit if it were in an affordable compact (sub $1000).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
For some reason 99% of my Pentax Q work is B&W + I only use B&W film yet on D-SLRs my work is 90% in colour. So Lets think of this as a photographer's wet dream like GR or X100 not in dslr form ?

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
A monochrome sensor GR, sure. A DSLR? Not for me.
Now that would be interesting.
06-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
But lets say Pentax is releasing K-S2M or K-3M. Same features as the original models only sporting a new sensor lacking a colour array, like Leica Monochrome, with a similar launch price of Pentax models i have mentioned.
I very well might, though I suspect that a B&W conversion from a pixel-shifted image would be both easier to work with and produce equivalent results.

Steve
06-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In film days, I mostly shot B&W and processed my own. Transparencies were for more serious moments, and colour film a distant third, mostly because of cost. These days, I rarely think of converting my work to monochrome, so a dedicated monochrome body would be the only way I could force myself to think that way, as I used to. It would also probably be a second-level activity, so the price would have to be right, but removing the Bayer layer and associated dithering algorithm would result in higher IQ, as I'm sure those fortunate enough to own a Leica M Monochrom would know well.

By the way, your thread header isn't quite the same as your poll question. I'd probably prefer a monochrome DSLR to a fixed-lens compact.

06-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
By the way, your thread header isn't quite the same as your poll question. I'd probably prefer a monochrome DSLR to a fixed-lens compact.

Kind of changed opinion while writing the post. I would definitely buy a mirrorless/compact B&W camera that costs less than £600. But for a DSLR it would need a very good price point and convincing as i use Q daily and K for work only.
06-02-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd rather do it in camera as a filter, in post, or just shoot B&W film (which I just recently did with my "new" 645).
06-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax lately only gets sensors from Sony, so if they don't first make a BW cam, then Pentax won't have one either.
And no, I would not buy it. Unless it came at a ridiculously low price. But it won't.
06-02-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #11

If it has an Infrared (IR) mode, with the IR filter removed from the sensor, I do for sure.
I really like IR landscapes an there is no way to do them in PP.
06-02-2015, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea of a Q-M1. That would be awesome!
06-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would prefer that they allow each sensor presently in the beyer pattern to register as a pixel giving 4 times the resolution. I know it can't do it because the response would not be uniform, but in principle, you could likely interpolate to achieve better resolution with no difference in hardware
06-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #14

I've recently taken delivery of the K-3 II and was looking at my venerable K-5, thinking to myself, if I could have the the Bayer pattern array removed from the sensor, then I would have a fine monochrome camera. Heck, I could just set it to monochrome - a lot less fuss even if less effective. At least that way I get to use digital filters rather than depend on coloured glass . I used to enjoy the working with the discipline of a b/w film in the old MX, you've given me the impetus to take my rambling thought a little more seriously. It will be just like the old days, one camera with Ektachrome 100 asa, the other with Ilford HPR 400 asa.

Pah! Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

---------- Post added 06-02-15 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Although we already have 2 digital cameras that only shoots B&W from Leica, their price is very steep for consumer market. And even if any brand will try something similar it will probably be Fuji,rather than Pentax.

or

Q-M1 which is same as Q-S1 but with a new monochrome sensor and a viewfinder. With market price of £300- £400.

Would you buy such a niche camera from any brand if price is reasonable?
We can but dream, but maybe some day Pentax will release a mirrorless with a viewfinder - they did it before with the Optio 750z which in its day was a very cool camera. It's just that the last three offerings, K-01, M-X, and less so the Q range have just not penetrated the market like they might have, if fitted with a viewfinder. Quite fancy a monochrome EVF in the Q.

Actually that last comment is a bit of an understatement, it would be absolutely fandabatastic if Pentax released a Monochrome Q (original body) with a MONOCHROME E.V.F. - make the most of the 12mp sensor! Go for it P.

Last edited by ronniemac; 06-02-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: afterthought moment of genius
06-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

A monochrome DSLR would be much appreciated by astrophotographer world wide. And will be a big blow against Canon, which dominate this market (setting aside the dedicated CCD cameras). If it would be a K-3II M, with astrotracer, without IR filter, would sell in a real big number, maybe over 1 million, with very little advertising, is the price is not to high.
Closed Thread