Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

D2x to K10d

Hi,

I signed up here today because I am going to sell my Nikon D2x and buy a K10d.

But I really like Capture NX. I have this question:

Is it possible to save a DNG to a TIFF-file, do some editing like USM, local adjustment on the TIFF (in Capture NX) and get the same quality as if the DNG-file was edited and saved in Photoshop? ( I dont have photoshop)

Cato

02-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
welcome to the board, cato.
not sure of your ??.
does nx work on DNG files?? if so then you should be able to change the pentax pef files to dng and work with NX on them and then save as a tiff.
roy

and , of course you made the right decision. welcome to the world of pentax. what are you going to be selling off.
02-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chals Quote
Hi,

Is it possible to save a DNG to a TIFF-file, do some editing like USM, local adjustment on the TIFF (in Capture NX) and get the same quality as if the DNG-file was edited and saved in Photoshop? ( I dont have photoshop)

Cato
You can use the Pentax software (photolab) to save the DNG or PEF to a 16bit TIFF in the colour space you want. It also does batch conversions so you can do a whole shoot at a time. Slowly though!
The TIFF can then be edited in Nikon Capture.
In truth this is not different from converting using any dedicated RAW converter and then editing in photoshop. You may want to take a look at Silkypix which does a great job, or Adibe Lightroom, which gives you some good workflow options.
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Cato
The D2x is supposed to be a phenomenal camera! Forgive me if I'm intruding - why the switch?

To answer your question, yes you should be able to convert from DNG or PEF to .tif as to how, I don't know 'cuz I don't own a K10D.

By the way, I happened to notice this is your first post - welcome to the forum and to Pentax!

02-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
replyes

Thanks for the replyes. But I cant read them exept as popup-windows. Strange.

Other threads I can read as ususal, but answers to my own questions.
What can be wrong?

Cato
02-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
I need some money, and I dont think the quality of the pictures will suffer in prints like 120x 70cm.

Cato
02-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi,

Cato
Simple answers. Obviously, as you know, the K10D will save RAW as DNG files in-camera. Any software that will read a DNG file will let you save it as a TIFF, and you can do anything with this TIFF file that you would do with any other TIFF file.

Larry

02-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi,

Cato
Why switch? Do you really think that the K10D can really be a better camera than the top-of-the-line Nikon D2X?

I think you get what you paid for. Don't expect there will be a miralce! :-)