Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what you are using it for, I would suggest the k-3 is a better choice.

06-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I started off with a K-x then to a K-30 then to a K-5ii. I also picked up a K-r this year for a backup/play around camera... but mostly because I missed my little K-x.

In size/weight they go K-x/K-r then K-30 then K-5ii. However, saying that, the difference is very minor.

I just removed the lens from both (K-r and K-5ii) and held each.. the K-5ii is heavier but only minorly yet it feels much more secure in my hand. It just feels like a professional device. I suspect the K-3 would be just as nice, if not better. Plus you'd have a lot of growing room with a K-3.

FYI, The K-5ii DOES support RAW and actually has a little better dynamic range than the K-3.

But I'm not sure you could go wrong with any modern Pentax body over your sweet, little K-x as they will ALL be a significant upgrade. But for pure image quality and malleability with the RAW files, I'd get a K-5iis or K-3 (both have 14-bit raw). If you value the non-IQ features (flippy screen and WIFI) more then go with the KS2 would be my recommendations.
06-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Corgi Quote
Hello everyone, I hope I chose the right topic but I am fairly new here.

Today is a dark day in my life because it means the ending for my beloved k-x. The AF decided to part ways with me. I can not send it in for repair without a replacement because I have to work and need it every day for commissions around University. The camera had been blacking out on me since beginning of this year so I was already considering getting a new one and here we are. I need a new Pentax. I am highly leaning towards a K3 because money is not the issue if I can get a reliable, functional and fairly updated camera.

I have 2 Questions at the community.
1. Should I really take the K3? (I am still not sure and I do need it like now so I don't have as much time to decide as I'd like. I am a bit scared of the weight and size because I am a 5.2 female with absolutely tiny hands and the k-x was just the right size. I can't just go and check at a store because most electronic stores usually react with "What's a Pentax? Did you mean Panasonic?" )

2. What could I do with my precious k-x ("why do you forsake me" sorry I am very attached)

I am very looking forward to your answers!
I still have my KX Its the little camera that just wont die. Get a k3 you will not regret it.
06-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've ordered a forest green / olive green K-S2 to replace both my K-x and my K10D. I wanted the features of the K10D (dual control wheels, bigger viewfinder, weather sealing) in a smaller package more like the K-x, and when the K-S2 came I just said - wow this is what I like. Well I actually has thought about this since the K-30 and then the K-50, but the K-S2 ticks the right boxes for me. I will use it with the compact WR-lens that comes with it, but also with the DA 17-70 f/4 that I have, and with my FA 50 f/1.7, DA 35 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma AF 24 f/2.8 II and FA 135 f/2.8 I believe I'll have a nice setup. I will sell my F 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 because I rarely uses it, and I'm also thinking about letting go of my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8-4 HSM OS since it's not weather sealed and well I do prefer the 17-70 f/4 anyway - but the f/2.8 in the Sigma is appealing plus it's not as heavy nor large as the DA 17-70. I'll post more on this when it arrives.

06-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #20

Original Poster
Update

okay I am getting the k-S2 in white/lime (don't judge it's fancy and I like green) with a DAL 18-50 WR and DA 50-200 WR I have a friend who owns a Pentax shop so she made me the offer for 846 (that's with Cashback)

I am so looking forward to it and I'll try and upload pictures once I have it.

Meanwhile I am going to find some tech wiz who'd like to take a crack at the kx
06-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I miss my K-x to, but i already jump to K5II from K-x, you can buy the af part on ebay, i see that part not long a go

i guess this is the right part...

Pentax K x Mirror Box with View Finder Replacement Repair Part | eBay
06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #22
Forum Member

no KS family

KS are as good as K-50 but without weather seal and twice the price. KS is only fancy thats all is for people who are more related with smatphones technology rather than photography.
If money is not your issue as you said at the begining go for th best so far which is K3 II. But If at the end you dont want to spend lots of money go for K-50 nice camera better than K-x and KS Great price and weather sealed.
And if you don't want to spend lots but you dont want the cheapest either go for K-5 IIs.

---------- Post added 06-04-15 at 09:01 AM ----------

okay I am getting the k-S2 in white/lime (don't judge it's fancy and I like green) with a DAL 18-50 WR and DA 50-200 WR I have a friend who owns a Pentax shop so she made me the offer for 846 (that's with Cashback)

I am so looking forward to it and I'll try and upload pictures once I have it.

Meanwhile I am going to find some tech wiz who'd like to take a crack at the kx
Why to buy WR lenses if you wont have a WR camera?? you cant go out and take pics on the rain or snow, your lens will be ok but your camera will be damaged
06-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It sounds to me like you are a growing photographer and therefore I would go for the best camera you can afford, so that you won't quickly outgrow it!

06-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
KS are as good as K-50 but without weather seal and twice the price. KS is only fancy thats all is for people who are more related with smatphones technology rather than photography.
If money is not your issue as you said at the begining go for th best so far which is K3 II. But If at the end you dont want to spend lots of money go for K-50 nice camera better than K-x and KS Great price and weather sealed.
And if you don't want to spend lots but you dont want the cheapest either go for K-5 IIs.

Why to buy WR lenses if you wont have a WR camera?? you cant go out and take pics on the rain or snow, your lens will be ok but your camera will be damaged
as far as I have researched the K-S2 is WR. So it would be unwise to not leave the opportunity open and get a lense to go with it Besides I am hoping that a WR lense won't be as delicate as my Tamron which caught dust inside after about 3 months.

---------- Post added 06-04-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mixberry Quote
I miss my K-x to, but i already jump to K5II from K-x, you can buy the af part on ebay, i see that part not long a go

i guess this is the right part...

Pentax K x Mirror Box with View Finder Replacement Repair Part | eBay
Thank you very much! I was toying with the idea to fix it myself but I think I'd rather leave it in more capable hands, maybe find a hardware store. I am quite comfortable with opening up laptops and I've opened and cleaned some old analog lenses too but I'm not quite there yet to break open the hull of a Camera.
06-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #25
mee
Pentaxian

I am quite comfortable with opening up laptops and I've opened and cleaned some old analog lenses too but I'm not quite there yet to break open the hull of a Camera.

I've opened my K-r and cleaned the dial contacts and the shutter release button. There are A LOT of screws used at various lengths. One must be very careful to document where each screw originates in order to put the camera back together. Plus, a lot of the contacts are very delicate and tiny. I would recommend having someone knowledgeable take your camera apart for sure.
06-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote

The K-S2 is weather sealed. Quote from K-S2 specs: "At launch the K-S2 is the smallest weather resistant DSLR around."

Pentax K-S2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The K-S1 is not WR. They sacrificed WR for smaller size. In the product story on the Pentax Japan website, it is described as a "truly painful decision".
06-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #27
Site Supporter

You will really like -3EV focusing with f2.8 sensitivity, center point on K-s2 and three points on K-3. My K-r does surprisingly well but the extra focus ability of the new bodies is amazing!
06-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #28

Hi neighbour.) im from Austria, and i feel very sorry for your k-x. mine is doing although not well lately - seems lke 5 years is point camera turns old and cranky%)
When you use the camera that long, you get really attached to the gear, it wont be easy to switch - ive tested many newer cameras, but still find that k-x performs as good(probably need a few weeks to get know the camera, and not just few compare shots). I although would have considered th k5iis, since it got real cheap, and i find 16mp more fitting for me.

as for your k-x you can turn it into special technics camera. Ever tried IR, UV photography? you can do it with your camera to, but it will be a long time exposure like 1-4 minuits, since the hot mirror blocks the biggest part of IR and UV light. so to get shorter exposure times you need to build that hot mirror out. There are few firms in germany which are doing it - converting camera IR, UV, both.
you can do it by yourself(quite a few videos in internet), but you still need a special filter which will replace the hot mirror. it costs around 100€. A complet inversion by a Firm will cost you between 200-300€, they will do everithing needed and adjust autofocus(the beeb sound in your case%)) to a specific lense.

or even use without converting, the 12 mp sensor will work definetely better because of bigger pixels.)

You can use it then, with old primes set on hyperfocal lense, or focus it manualy(could although get a split screen for your OFV). or if you convert it to both, you can still use it for macro - since you need focus manualy.)

i can send you few IR images, or post some, if youre interested - or look around, i posted quite a few lately.)

Last edited by Vitalii; 06-05-2015 at 07:34 AM.
06-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
Hi neighbour.) im from Austria, and i feel very sorry for your k-x. mine is doing although not well lately - seems lke 5 years is point camera turns old and cranky%)
When you use the camera that long, you get really attached to the gear, it wont be easy to switch - ive tested many newer cameras, but still find that k-x performs as good(probably need a few weeks to get know the camera, and not just few compare shots). I although would have considered th k5iis, since it got real cheap, and i find 16mp more fitting for me.

as for your k-x you can turn it into special technics camera. Ever tried IR, UV photography? you can do it with your camera to, but it will be a long time exposure like 1-4 minuits, since the hot mirror blocks the biggest part of IR and UV light. so to get shorter exposure times you need to build that hot mirror out. There are few firms in germany which are doing it - converting camera IR, UV, both.
you can do it by yourself(quite a few videos in internet), but you still need a special filter which will replace the hot mirror. it costs around 100€. A complet inversion by a Firm will cost you between 200-300€, they will do everithing needed and adjust autofocus(the beeb sound in your case%)) to a specific lense.

or even use without converting, the 12 mp sensor will work definetely better because of bigger pixels.)

You can use it then, with old primes set on hyperfocal lense, or focus it manualy(could although get a split screen for your OFV). or if you convert it to both, you can still use it for macro - since you need focus manualy.)

i can send you few IR images, or post some, if youre interested - or look around, i posted quite a few lately.)
I've never heard of that so sure, share But I would rather just fix the AF because my mother wanted to have it to take pictures, my family should be fine with it, even though it limped a bit lately but that's probably because i was demanding too much.