Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Junior Member
Corgi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 29
A moment of silence for Kx and a hurray for a new one

Hello everyone, I hope I chose the right topic but I am fairly new here.

Today is a dark day in my life because it means the ending for my beloved k-x. The AF decided to part ways with me. I can not send it in for repair without a replacement because I have to work and need it every day for commissions around University. The camera had been blacking out on me since beginning of this year so I was already considering getting a new one and here we are. I need a new Pentax. I am highly leaning towards a K3 because money is not the issue if I can get a reliable, functional and fairly updated camera.

I have 2 Questions at the community.
1. Should I really take the K3? (I am still not sure and I do need it like now so I don't have as much time to decide as I'd like. I am a bit scared of the weight and size because I am a 5.2 female with absolutely tiny hands and the k-x was just the right size. I can't just go and check at a store because most electronic stores usually react with "What's a Pentax? Did you mean Panasonic?" )

2. What could I do with my precious k-x ("why do you forsake me" sorry I am very attached)

I am very looking forward to your answers!

06-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,992
The K-3's grip is really comfortable. That said, if you have very small hands you might be fine with the K-S2's smaller grip. The K-S2 lacks some of the more advanced features (like wireless flash, cable release, 14-bit RAW) but it has a nice articulating LCD, Wi-Fi, weather sealing, dual control wheels, 100% viewfinder, and great image quality. Both would be very big upgrades over the K-x.

You can read all about the K-S2 here:
Pentax K-S2 First Impressions Review - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com

I'd actually recommend the K-S2 after re-reading your post. As for the K-x, maybe just keep it as a decoration? I don't think you'd get very much out of selling it for parts, the sentimental value probably outweighs it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,331
Too bad about the K-x, it was a great little camera!
Have you seen the K-S1? Try to find one in a store to hold it in your hands, it is a very compact camera with good image quality and some improvements over the K-x. Or maybe a K-S2, its compact and very stylish. I think it was advertised as "styled in Germany" or something. Both of these cameras come in various colours if you are into that. Im not just saying that because you are a woman, I just really enjoy my yellow K-01 and think colourful cameras are great.
06-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Junior Member
Corgi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 29
Original Poster
thank you for your fast answer Adam! I was considering the S2 I am just a bit queasy about switching to a system camera and I was told that the S2 was a bit sensitive considering noise in the picture. And coming from the kx. I am so sick of that and just want to have clear pictures and a decent light sensitivity and resolution . He was recommending me towards a K-5IIs ( a page says they don't do RAW? that sounds untrue though) besides I don't know if I should take the k3 or the k3 II I've been throwing around options all day and I am kinda lost right now. The KS-2 sounds great because of the size and the monitor is so very useful because I sometimes have to shoot pictures by holding the camera over my head because I am too small and hoping for the best.

06-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,182
Get the K3 , it will make you forget everything about the K-x rather quickly...
06-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by Corgi Quote
Hello everyone, I hope I chose the right topic but I am fairly new here.

Today is a dark day in my life because it means the ending for my beloved k-x. The AF decided to part ways with me. I can not send it in for repair without a replacement because I have to work and need it every day for commissions around University. The camera had been blacking out on me since beginning of this year so I was already considering getting a new one and here we are. I need a new Pentax. I am highly leaning towards a K3 because money is not the issue if I can get a reliable, functional and fairly updated camera.

I have 2 Questions at the community.
1. Should I really take the K3? (I am still not sure and I do need it like now so I don't have as much time to decide as I'd like. I am a bit scared of the weight and size because I am a 5.2 female with absolutely tiny hands and the k-x was just the right size. I can't just go and check at a store because most electronic stores usually react with "What's a Pentax? Did you mean Panasonic?" )

2. What could I do with my precious k-x ("why do you forsake me" sorry I am very attached)

I am very looking forward to your answers!
It is quite a leap from a K-x to a K-3.[ K-x, K-r, K-7,K-5, K-511,K-3.] that is from "entry level" to semi-professional. I am the proud owner of a K-r, which is also described as an "entry level" camera, but is capable of doing just about anything anyone could ever need to do. [customisable to the "nth degree", bracketing, multi-exposure, extended dynamic range, time lapse, HDR, in camera filters, etc. etc. It is just 1 step up from your beloved K-x {that step being it shows the focus point if using focus point selection}. Although like the K-x it is now discontinued there are plenty of samples of near mint condition second hand versions on E-bay at less than 200. After 5 years I am still discovering the full potential of this very under-rated[and under priced] camera. My next camera will be a K-3, but not until I feel my own personal skills have out-grown this superb camera.
06-03-2015, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,401
I think the K-S1 is more of a spiritual successor of the K-x, although the K-S2 is not too much bigger. As much as I like my K-5 for "serious" shooting, it is heavier, and on a long day, switching to a K-x sized body like a K-01 or K-S1 is a relief. It's a pity that you can't try a K-S1 or any Pentax in local stores, because the petite grip does take some getting used to.

As to what to do with the K-x, a repair will probably take a few months to get parts, but they can probably still get them. If that's out of the question, but it still works most of the time, get a split-prism screen for the viewfinder and some neat old manual focus lenses, and keep shooting!

Edit: The 20MP sensor in the K-S1/S2 reminds me a lot of the 12MP in the K-x/r, just with a lot more pixels. The K-S1/S2 noise levels are a little better than the K-x, but not as good as the 16MP bodies. However, the noise on the 20MP sensor is of the "luminance" type, rather than false color, and is very easy to clean up in Post.
06-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Junior Member
Corgi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 29
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Slicvic Quote
It is quite a leap from a K-x to a K-3.[ K-x, K-r, K-7,K-5, K-511,K-3.] that is from "entry level" to semi-professional. I am the proud owner of a K-r, which is also described as an "entry level" camera, but is capable of doing just about anything anyone could ever need to do. [customisable to the "nth degree", bracketing, multi-exposure, extended dynamic range, time lapse, HDR, in camera filters, etc. etc. It is just 1 step up from your beloved K-x {that step being it shows the focus point if using focus point selection}. Although like the K-x it is now discontinued there are plenty of samples of near mint condition second hand versions on E-bay at less than 200. After 5 years I am still discovering the full potential of this very under-rated[and under priced] camera. My next camera will be a K-3, but not until I feel my own personal skills have out-grown this superb camera.
to be fair I had the kx for 5 years and I have come the way from being in a school photography club to now having my own class at University. doing paid commissions and having my pictures in a gallery. So the kx wasn't doing it for me anymore for a while. Mostly due to the blacking out issue. So I need to take that leap. K3 really sounds great (besides weight and size.) but if I take that do you think I should go for the K3 II or don't bother and take the K3 (Germany also has a 100€ cashback thing on that)

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think the K-S1 is more of a spiritual successor of the K-x, although the K-S2 is not too much bigger. As much as I like my K-5 for "serious" shooting, it is heavier, and on a long day, switching to a K-x sized body like a K-01 or K-S1 is a relief. It's a pity that you can't try a K-S1 or any Pentax in local stores, because the petite grip does take some getting used to.

As to what to do with the K-x, a repair will probably take a few months to get parts, but they can probably still get them. If that's out of the question, but it still works most of the time, get a split-prism screen for the viewfinder and some neat old manual focus lenses, and keep shooting!

Edit: The 20MP sensor in the K-S1/S2 reminds me a lot of the 12MP in the K-x/r, just with a lot more pixels. The K-S1/S2 noise levels are a little better than the K-x, but not as good as the 16MP bodies. However, the noise on the 20MP sensor is of the "luminance" type, rather than false color, and is very easy to clean up in Post.
well I have a shooting on Friday so I'm gonna use my 50mm SMC but I suck at manual focusing. I don't know why really. I blame my glasses. I have been using the catch in focus a lot with the AF-AL on 3 so I could disable it if I wasn't happy. I usually think the picture is sharp and then I open it on my laptop and I just about missed it. That is very frustrating and will probably haunt me next week when I'll take pictures with my Chinon to take my photography class to the darkroom to do a bit of developing. I have to shoot a ballroom dance on the 13th. Until I need to have a Camera with a functioning AF because so far I am also afraid that it will affect the flash because I don't know what exactly is broken (hopefully the switch)

06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think it was advertised as "styled in Germany" or something.


The design firm was out of San Francisco, IIRC.


Steve
06-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
Junior Member
Corgi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 29
Original Poster
Okay I think I will be taking the K-S2 (maybe in white with lime looks nice). I have been reading through reviews and reviews and reviews and it is the second best (okay maybe third best now that the K3II is coming out) and despite my intention to only get the body also get myself a WR lense in a kit. I haven't done much photographing in bad weather yet. but maybe now that I could I'm going to who knows. I got sold by the WIFI possibility. looking at the pictures on my tablet would be absolutely amazing and damn that tiltable screen. I have been doing guesswork today to get a good picture of a sign that was just a bit too high for me in bright sunlight and to be honest that did not work a bit.
I am going to sleep on that decision anyway because I had a hell of a day with emotions ranging from panic to despair. Over to treking to different stores on a quest to figure out what was wrong with my camera and then to find someone actually selling Pentax, needless to say I was unsuccessful.

besides I need to decide if I get the 50-135mm or the 18-50mm. Proably the first one so I don't have to rely on my horrible Tamron.

Thank you guys for being very supportive, I'm gonna read all the incomming replies I am not getting the camera right this second. Also still looking for ideas about what to do with the Kx (hopefully something involved with getting money for it or getting it repaired not too costly because I wanted to inherit it to my little brother and raise a new Pentax user)

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Corgi Quote
Okay I think I will be taking the K-S2 (maybe in white with lime looks nice). I have been reading through reviews and reviews and reviews and it is the second best (okay maybe third best now that the K3II is coming out) and despite my intention to only get the body also get myself a WR lense in a kit. I haven't done much photographing in bad weather yet. but maybe now that I could I'm going to who knows. I got sold by the WIFI possibility. looking at the pictures on my tablet would be absolutely amazing and damn that tiltable screen. I have been doing guesswork today to get a good picture of a sign that was just a bit too high for me in bright sunlight and to be honest that did not work a bit.
I am going to sleep on that decision anyway because I had a hell of a day with emotions ranging from panic to despair. Over to treking to different stores on a quest to figure out what was wrong with my camera and then to find someone actually selling Pentax, needless to say I was unsuccessful.

besides I need to decide if I get the 50-135mm or the 18-50mm. Proably the first one so I don't have to rely on my horrible Tamron.

Thank you guys for being very supportive, I'm gonna read all the incomming replies I am not getting the camera right this second. Also still looking for ideas about what to do with the Kx (hopefully something involved with getting money for it or getting it repaired not too costly because I wanted to inherit it to my little brother and raise a new Pentax user)
Ugh color me annoyed. The S2 doesn't support the option to use AA batteries anymore. I loved that! Besides I just got 2 new packages of eneloops and a really good loading station. Why does this always happen to me?
06-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 23
Why don't you rent a different body or two and see which one you like? It's an extra expense but it gives you more certainty for your choice.
Lensrentals.com has 7 different Pentax bodies available including multiple versions of the K-3, and K-5, and they also have the KS-2.
06-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 302
I read the specs and the k-s2 is similar in size to the kx. The k-3 is similar in size to a nikon d7000. k-s2 = 678g. 91 x 123 x 73 mm. kx = 580g. 123 x 92 x 68 mm. k3 = 800g. 131 x 100 x 77 mm. Nikon d7000 =780g. 132 x 105 x 77 mm.
I hear the ergonomics are great in the k-3 but if you can get your hands on the nikon you could get a feel for the size. If it feels to much then go for the k-s2.
06-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Junior Member
Corgi's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 29
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by postal33610 Quote
Why don't you rent a different body or two and see which one you like? It's an extra expense but it gives you more certainty for your choice.
Lensrentals.com has 7 different Pentax bodies available including multiple versions of the K-3, and K-5, and they also have the KS-2.
it is an interesting idea, do they ship to Germany though? Also most shops have a 14 day return policy so I really can't handle the thing I can give it back after the 13th.

---------- Post added 06-03-15 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I read the specs and the k-s2 is similar in size to the kx. The k-3 is similar in size to a nikon d7000. k-s2 = 678g. 91 x 123 x 73 mm. kx = 580g. 123 x 92 x 68 mm. k3 = 800g. 131 x 100 x 77 mm. Nikon d7000 =780g. 132 x 105 x 77 mm.
I hear the ergonomics are great in the k-3 but if you can get your hands on the nikon you could get a feel for the size. If it feels to much then go for the k-s2.
Thank you! I just checked and our hardware store does have the Nikon D7000 that means another trek there I guess. I wanted to check for a camera backpack anyway.
06-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian
wstruth's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: at my kitchen table
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 380
QuoteOriginally posted by Corgi Quote
thank you for your fast answer Adam! I was considering the S2 I am just a bit queasy about switching to a system camera and I was told that the S2 was a bit sensitive considering noise in the picture. And coming from the Kx. I am so sick of that and just want to have clear pictures and a decent light sensitivity and resolution . He was recommending me towards a K-5IIs ( a page says they don't do RAW? that sounds untrue though) besides I don't know if I should take the k3 or the k3 II I've been throwing around options all day and I am kinda lost right now. The KS-2 sounds great because of the size and the monitor is so very useful because I sometimes have to shoot pictures by holding the camera over my head because I am too small and hoping for the best.
The K-S2 actually controls noise pretty well. In the past two months there have been a few people shooting with the K-S2 and K-S1 in the Single in Challenge here on the Forums. Check out their photos (including mine) to see what it can do. The K-S2 will be an upgrade to your Kx. The K-3 bodies more so. I have a K-5 as well as the K-S2 and my Kx went to my wife. The K-5 is heavier than the Kx and the K-3 is heavier still. I ended up getting an aftermarket neoprene strap, by Kata (there are a lot of manufacturer's though) for the K-5 and it was a great investment, it really helped distribute the camera weight and let me carry it a lot longer than the Pentax Strap.
06-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,253
I have both the K-3 and K-S2, and they are both superb cameras.

If you have small hands and value lightness, the K-S2 would be a better choice, and you get WiFi and a swivel screen. It will be a massive trade-up from your K-x. The K-3 has better button placement in my opinion, but that's only likely to be a major issue if you shoot sports or events under time pressure.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
autofocus, bit, broken, camera, day, dslr, emotions, figure, focus, k-3, k-s1, k-x, k3, kx, lot, moment of silence, new, new kamera, nikon, noise, pentax, photography, post, problem, reviews, silence for kx, size, stores
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A moment of silence Nephus Monthly Photo Contests 0 05-07-2015 07:23 AM
Can I rig a KX up for live view video monitoring via RCA cables to a computer? Lindethiel Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-24-2014 06:47 AM
New user looking for info and advice on adapting a lens for a canon dslr Gypsybird Welcomes and Introductions 4 06-23-2013 08:14 AM
Shopping for primes : a fast lens & a landscape one...Dazed and confused... S0l Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-14-2011 02:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top