Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I agree. The K30 is just handsome.

Even when compared to its big brother, K3.
The blue looks very nice, especially with the silver lens! I would have the blue K-30 if they had bundled it with the 18-135. But I love the black too, and the red K-50 isn't so bad either.

06-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, the white K-30 with the glossy/metallic "Crystal" finish is one of the best looking DSLR's ever made. I saw a white K-50 at Target, and was very disappointed. In addition to losing the bold/edgy/aggressive styling of the K-30, the white finish was now a dull, chalky, matte paint that looked ugly to me and seemed like it would retain dirt and dust.

When the K-30 was introduced, it packed almost all the goodness of the K-5 into a great looking body, so upgrading from my (white) K-x was a no-brainer. I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade since that time.

Just as the K-30/K-50 was a slightly watered-down and slimmed-down K-5, I expect Pentax will release a similar successor based on the K-3. If it looks good and is available in white, I'll probably have to buy it.
06-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The blue looks very nice, especially with the silver lens! I would have the blue K-30 if they had bundled it with the 18-135. But I love the black too, and the red K-50 isn't so bad either.
My blue K30 came with an 18-135 kit.

Did Pentax release a red K-30, or was it exclusive to K50s? The red on silver looks pretty as well, despite possibly losing all elements of stealth.
06-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Did Pentax release a red K-30, or was it exclusive to K50s?
The K-30 was available in a wide spectrum of colors, both matte and metallic.

Steve

06-07-2015, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Oh please. I get sooooo tired of hearing this retort on camera forums. Normal people are concerned with the aesthetics of everything from the car they drive to the food they are about to put in their mouth and chew, so why should it be any different with their expensive camera gear. You could say "A car is only a means of transportation, so why does it matter how it looks?" Or you could say, "A house is only a place to provide shelter and protection, so why does it matter how it looks?"

And yes, this silliness does seem to be something specific to camera forums. I have several other interests, but I don't see people looking down their noses and giving other members crap for wanting speakers that sound good AND look good, for instance, or a car that goes fast AND looks good.

So, if you were being serious, my advise would be to get off your high-horse, and stop acting like you are one of the very few people on this planet who have absolutely no hint of vanity.
I stand by what I said "looks should be irrelevent unless you are wearing it as jewelry": and that applies to speakers and cars and homes as well as cameras. The key phrase is "should be". However, as you say, people are human and if an object looks good to them their reaction to it is much more positive to it. The problems start when (too much) emphasis is put on looks and not on functionality and, in the case of cameras, ease of use, reliability, how comfortable it feels to the user.

06-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
I stand by what I said "looks should be irrelevent unless you are wearing it as jewelry": and that applies to speakers and cars and homes as well as cameras. The key phrase is "should be". However, as you say, people are human and if an object looks good to them their reaction to it is much more positive to it. The problems start when (too much) emphasis is put on looks and not on functionality and, in the case of cameras, ease of use, reliability, how comfortable it feels to the user.

And I stand by my opinion that your comment was not helpful, and was kind of annoying. I didn't see anybody putting "too much" emphasis on the looks of the camera. They were talking about two cameras that were functionally nearly identical, and the only real difference was the looks. So your qualifier about people putting form over function were not relevant in this case.

I just don't see how it's helpful to shame people for wanting their camera to look nice. If you really are so ascetic in your life that style never touches you, then I guess you're just on a higher plane than the rest of us.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-07-2015 at 03:08 PM.
06-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I almost bought a K-30 solely because they look so damn good. Especially in blue. Personally I think it's one of the best looking Pentax cameras ever made.

I ended up getting the K-50, because it came in red, and it was newer, and it being my first Pentax, I just wanted to get the newest one I could afford because I figured I was going to get in deep and wanted to get something that would be outdated in a few years. Plus I thought the red kit lens with the red body looked awesome, and I want to save up and get a red 35mm as well.
06-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

When I was upgrading from my Olympus e-510, I first bought a Canon t2i because it was the hottest thing on the block with its new 18MP sensor. Pentax wasn't even on my radar, but then I saw a blurb on a tech site about Pentax's new colorful DSLR's. They had a picture of the red K-x, which caught my eye, but I fell in love with the white. When I looked into it and learned the K-x was packed with a lot more features than the t2i, and cost less, it was a no-brainer to ditch the Canon for the Pentax.

Here's my K-x, gone but not forgotten!

In a bit of a parallel development, Pentax replaced the K-x with the awkward-looking K-r, that was almost the same camera apart from the styling. Just like how they replaced the good-looking K-30 with the bland K-50.

06-07-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

And some call her bland
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W80  Photo 
06-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
And some call her bland
LOL, it's a good looking camera for sure, no offense intended! It's probably what I would own if the K-30 never existed. I just think the K-30 looks a bit better.

Looking at my K-x picture above, and your K-50 picture below, the two cameras actually look very similar. I'm surprised I never noticed it before.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-07-2015 at 06:03 PM.
06-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

That they do!, none taken! That's why i have both
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W80  Photo