k50 o k30

Which of these 2 is the best? Why?

06-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alenoe97 Quote
Which of these 2 is the best? Why?
I have both, there is hardly a difference, they feel and behave the same way when shooting. The K-50 is newer, it can use an eye-fi card and has some other minor improvements. I believe the K-30 is better looking, not everybody does. I did have to have a warranty repair on my K-30, you would hope any "weak links" would be fixed in the second generation (K-50)

For reasons unknown to me the price of the K-30 has stayed high, the K-50 is bargain priced. It is a no brainer to buy the K-50 for less money than the K-30, unless money means nothing to you, but then you should be buying the K-3II.
06-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
In fact I don't understand why in the sites the k30(that is older) costs more of the k50? Why?!?! You knowwhy?
06-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In fact I don't understand why in the sites the k30(that is older) costs more of the k50? Why?!?! You knowwhy?
The K-30 is much cooler looking and has (in my opinion) a grippier grip. It is also a little harder to come by.

Steve

06-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

if it costs more while it is in stock it is mostly because it has a higher demand i would think. IMO my K30 in blue it is a nice looking camera. some K50 colors cost much more than other K50 as well, as seen in Amazon Japan. i like the K50 in Army Green.
06-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-30 is much cooler looking and has (in my opinion) a grippier grip. It is also a little harder to come by.

Steve
K-30 looks like a real Pentax while K-50 is closer to a Canon to me. Your mileage may vary though.
06-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
i like the K50 in Army Green.
Me too, but then again, my tastes are a little skewed

Steve

06-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have both, the K-50 first and then purchased a used copy of the K-30 from "Heie" at a great price as my backup. I like the way the K-50 feels in my hand, like mentioned above the K-50 can use the eye-fi card, both take great pictures. You can't go wrong with either!
06-06-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I agree. The K30 is just handsome.

Even when compared to its big brother, K3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
06-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting for a brave soul to install the K-50 firmware onto their K-30... I suspect this will both work (after renaming the firmware) and give them the added minor features. That said, there is still a fairly significant potential for bricking (destroying) your camera by attempting this. So I don't recommend trying this unless you are aware of the potential effects.

I was on auction for cheap K-30s numerous times this year and always outbid in the last seconds by snipers... otherwise I'd have done this myself.
06-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It was discontinued a while ago, so new stock carries a premium.

As for which one to go for, it really comes down to the looks. The K-50 has a few new firmware features but nothing really significant.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Have both , and ??
The K50 is a fine camera , as is the K30 ..
My K30 was cheaper than my K50 , but who cares .
A) Buy the one you want
B) Buy the cheapest one
C) No wrong choice between the two
06-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the look of my K-30 with its extended compartment for flash and AF module.

Others thought that very un-Pentax.
06-07-2015, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
For reasons unknown to me the price of the K-30 has stayed high, the K-50 is bargain priced. It is a no brainer to buy the K-50 for less money than the K-30, unless money means nothing to you, but then you should be buying the K-3II.
At current prices the K50 is sanity, the K30 is vanity!

Only good reason for spending a lot more on the K30 is if you personally find it handles a great deal better. The K50 however has more features. Looks should be irrelevant unless you are wearing it as jewelry.....perish the thought!!!!!

If really you do have that little extra burning a hole in your pocket why not look at the K-S2. The way the prices are these days it is not really that much more expensive than the K30. Its handling however is a little different, having a slightly smaller grip, and is not to every current Pentax owners taste. It is however excellent value for money and those who own one really seem to like it. Alternativly put it (the little extra) aside for more glass later in the year.

The K3(ii) is a very different camera from all of the above. It is much more demanding on technique and requires good prime or semi-pro zoom lenses to make the most out of it. I would advise against it unles you are seriously into wildlife or sports photography, in which case its increased relsolution could be a cheaper option than a lens with a longer focal length; in the short to mid-term at any rate. It also appears to have slightly better auto focus (not a Pentax strength) than the K30 or K50. On the negative, for a new Pentax owner, the paper manual in the box ought to be much bigger; but a least it has one. Also it has a built in GPS instead of a small (emergency?) flash, which is not to everyones taste. Its is however a good camera.
06-07-2015, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
Looks should be irrelevant unless you are wearing it as jewelry.....perish the thought!!!!!
Oh please. I get sooooo tired of hearing this retort on camera forums. Normal people are concerned with the aesthetics of everything from the car they drive to the food they are about to put in their mouth and chew, so why should it be any different with their expensive camera gear. You could say "A car is only a means of transportation, so why does it matter how it looks?" Or you could say, "A house is only a place to provide shelter and protection, so why does it matter how it looks?"

And yes, this silliness does seem to be something specific to camera forums. I have several other interests, but I don't see people looking down their noses and giving other members crap for wanting speakers that sound good AND look good, for instance, or a car that goes fast AND looks good.

So, if you were being serious, my advise would be to get off your high-horse, and stop acting like you are one of the very few people on this planet who have absolutely no hint of vanity.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-07-2015 at 06:21 AM.