Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #1

Concert photograhpy

Wondering if any of you guys/girls on here do concert photo? If so, what modes are you guys using for shooting. I just gave a shot at it this past weekend. I used my Manual 28mm, 50mm, AND 135mm with and without the 2x converter(on the 135). I had my kit lens, but didn't try it at all... I used tugsten, ISO 400 & 800, depending on the lighting. Do you guys have any tips or info to use for concert photography? The place that I go to for shows is a pretty small place. wit pretty decent lighting(depending on the artist performing)..

I don't have a external flash yet, but I'm looking into getting one. What do you guys reccomend? I've been looking into the Sigma Super. And If I get a chance, I'd like to get a auto 50mm 1.4 down the line. I won a 28-70mm lens off ebay if the seller doesn't turn out to be a dick about the sale which I already paid for last week.

Any tips or info, please post up. Thanks.

02-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Wondering if any of you guys/girls on here do concert photo? If so, what modes are you guys using for shooting. I just gave a shot at it this past weekend. I used my Manual 28mm, 50mm, AND 135mm with and without the 2x converter(on the 135). I had my kit lens, but didn't try it at all... I used tugsten, ISO 400 & 800, depending on the lighting. Do you guys have any tips or info to use for concert photography? The place that I go to for shows is a pretty small place. wit pretty decent lighting(depending on the artist performing)..

I don't have a external flash yet, but I'm looking into getting one. What do you guys reccomend? I've been looking into the Sigma Super. And If I get a chance, I'd like to get a auto 50mm 1.4 down the line. I won a 28-70mm lens off ebay if the seller doesn't turn out to be a dick about the sale which I already paid for last week.

Any tips or info, please post up. Thanks.
Hi - yes I do a bit. Most of the time you cant use flash so I never take one. The new Pentax 50-135 will most likely be my "gig" lens. Its fast (F2.8) and should be sharp too. I hate changing lenses at a gig and can shoot a lot faster with a zoom, but have nothing fast enough right now so I use the 43ltd for stage shots, 77ltd for close in shots of the artists and the 200 F2.8 for really close work or shots from the back of the room or a gallery. Seldom need anything longer. Of all of these I find the 77 most useful, though I would prefer something a bit longer, perhaps 100 to 135.

Also I use manual focus and exposure more often then not, and a good incident light meter. The light seldom changes but as you point your camera around the stage the exposure can get thrown right off and having to AF in low light all the time actually slows you down.
If you are buying the Sigma EX 28-70mm F2.8 dont bother unless is very cheap. Its a lump and not very sharp.
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds to me you know what you're doing already! Are you putting up some of your shots?

I never shot in a concert situation with my Pentax yet, but did shoot once with my camcorder and a friend's Fuji S3. I kept the ISO at mid to high (400-800, but sometimes maxed it at 1600 to freeze motion) like you did, and try to get the subject with the aperture close to wide open with as quick a shutter as you can go. The nikkor 18-70 lens will give anywhere from good to poor results depending on how dark or bright the lighting is, but I had to go wide at 18-24 range and found myself reaching for the 50 macro (the only other lens I had). That's about it if flash photos not allowed.

With a hotshoe flash, you'll pull off some better shots, but may lose the lighting or atmosphere depending on how strong the flash is - try to use it only for fill.

Cheers!

Last edited by Alvin; 02-05-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: 16-70 nikkor lens
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I shot a "concert" this weekend (took my kid to see the Doodlebops! - he even made it on stage!) I used my F50/1.7 and no flash in P mode for most of the shots. The stage lighting was good enough to stay in ISO200 with F2.5, speeds around 1/100, 1/125th. I should have bumped it up a bit though, because I found several cases of motion blur with the people on stage...

We were about 5 rows back but the stage was 10 feet in front of the 1st row - so the 50 wasn't quite long enough for close ups - but plenty fast.

02-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got some good shots at the George Benson show a couple of weeks ago. I used my Pentax SMC-A 135mm f/2.8 lens with the camera set at either ISO800 or ISO1600. The ISO800 shots came out better. I also took my FA50mm f/1.4 but didn't use it. I forgot to change my metering to spot metering, so my far away shots were all overexposed on the artists and I couldn't use them. The closer shots posted here were overexposed also, but I could save them since I shot raw. Oh yeah, I never use a flash in concert shooting. It changes the mood of the shot for me. YMMV.

Here are a couple of small ones. You can see the full sized images at my Flickr site.

02-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
I want to try and get a auto 50mm or even a auto 135mm.. The 50mm is so hard to get ahold of. And the rebate is still going on it right now. So far I've been hearing alot of people saying to skip the flash and get a faster lens. It would be good to have the A50mm for all the fast movements the artist make.

After I resize and go thru all my pics, I'll post a few up. I also forgot to change my metering too. I used ISO 400 and 800 mostly when I took my shots. Tried a few at 200.
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
a few of the shots

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
few more shots
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
Any other suggestions on a lens besides the FA 50mm 1.4? I was thinking of something like 28-70 2.8 sigma or tamron, but seems like the reviews for these are that great.
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Any other suggestions on a lens besides the FA 50mm 1.4? I was thinking of something like 28-70 2.8 sigma or tamron, but seems like the reviews for these are that great.

How about the sigma 70mm f2.8 prime? or the tamron 90mm f2.8?
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #11

Often at concerts, I find f/2.8 to be too slow. I currently use a Fuji S3 with assorted Nikkors, but will buy a K100D or two for use at concerts within the coming months. My setup will most probably be two bodies (changing lenses at a crowded venue is no fun), 14mm f/2.8 (for use on stage), Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 and 77mm f/1.8.

For bigger venues, I'll use the S3 with a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 and a monopod.

The K100D, with SR and excellent high ISO, seems to me to be more or less the perfect concert camera, and since it's both light-weight and cheap, carrying two isn't too much of a problem. I did consider Canon 5D as well, but found that one body and one lens (24mm f/1.4) would cost me more than two Pentax bodies and four very good lenses
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by epixx Quote
Often at concerts, I find f/2.8 to be too slow. I currently use a Fuji S3 with assorted Nikkors, but will buy a K100D or two for use at concerts within the coming months. My setup will most probably be two bodies (changing lenses at a crowded venue is no fun), 14mm f/2.8 (for use on stage), Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 and 77mm f/1.8.

For bigger venues, I'll use the S3 with a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 and a monopod.

The K100D, with SR and excellent high ISO, seems to me to be more or less the perfect concert camera, and since it's both light-weight and cheap, carrying two isn't too much of a problem. I did consider Canon 5D as well, but found that one body and one lens (24mm f/1.4) would cost me more than two Pentax bodies and four very good lenses

Yeah, I had my 135mm, 50mm, and 28mm lenses with me at this show. Wasn;t to bad changing them, but the crowd wasn't really that rowdy either. I'd like to get the sigma 24-70 or 28-70, or even the tamron 28-75. But I think first I want to get the FA 50mm 1.4. Most of the shots I took at the show was with my M50mm 1.7. I was just thinking about the 40mm 2.8 limited lens.

But another reason I was thinking of the 24/28-70mm lens, it would come in handy for a great walk-around/vacation lens. But I know the speed of the 1.4 50mm would come in handy for concerts, which I'm sure I'll be going to more shows than I will be traveling. Tough decision for me to make. I have a 28-70 manual lens coming from ebay, but that's a 3.5 or 3.8-5.6 lens. Maybe that will help me break down my decision on which lens to get first.

Have you thought about getting a K10D? i wouldn't mind getting that as a 2nd body to go with my K100.
02-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #13

Have you thought about getting a K10D? i wouldn't mind getting that as a 2nd body to go with my K100.
Yes, I have thought about it, but I already have the Fuji S3, which excels in certain areas. And although the S3 and the K100D have different lens mounts, they do use the same batteries. When I'm travelling, and I do that a lot, carrying several chargers and an assortment of batteries, keeping them all charged, is a hassle that I can well live without. Just finding enough places to plug in all the chargers at a hotel room can be a challenge sometimes.

But in the future, who knows? If Pentax continues to churn out new, excellent lenses, I'll probably buy whatever pro or semi-pro camera that they launch