Sony A7M 12.27%
I am rich and i will buy Leica Monochrome & use it with Apple Photos app 12.27%
I have no interest in B&W only cameras 2761.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which Monochrome camera you would buy?

Recently i started my most successful thread to date! However it was not detailed enough to see what kind of B&W camera people were interested.

With this pool i aim to see specific interest to different types of B&W camera possibilities.

Lets imagine all the cameras in the pool priced same with their normal counterparts.

Everybody has 2 votes.

Original thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/296874-monochrom...d-you-buy.html

06-06-2015, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for the Casper ghost camera. Isn't one thread on this topic enough?

Steve
06-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I vote for the K-50 and the ME, or for a real one I can buy.
06-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I vote for the Casper ghost camera. Isn't one thread on this topic enough?

Steve
One is more than enough for a camera that will never happen. I was just curious what kind of b&w camera people are interested specifically

06-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd get the KS2M, especially if they made 7FPS. And under 1k.
06-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Why would I buy a monochrome camera when I can convert any image to B&W to my taste and thereby have the best of both worlds?
06-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Why would I buy a monochrome camera when I can convert any image to B&W to my taste and thereby have the best of both worlds?
There is a good article that i have attached its link below. But basically to improve IQ and effective MP

Color vs. Monochrome Sensors

06-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
There is a good article that i have attached its link below. But basically to improve IQ and effective MP

Color vs. Monochrome Sensors
It's my guess, and only a guess, that the real world practical difference between pure monochrome and a properly exposed and PP color RAW conversion would be indistinguishable to most viewers including myself.

Last edited by wildman; 06-07-2015 at 12:28 AM.
06-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Seems like a step backwards imho.
If I want monochrome there's a setting in camera or I do it in post.
I'm not interested in a monochrome camera in any way whatsoever, especially as I'd be viewing the photos on a colour monitor.
06-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
It's my guess, and only a guess, is that the real world practical difference between pure monochrome and a properly exposed and PP color RAW conversion would be indistinguishable to most viewers including myself.
This is very true. Much depends on the quality and calibration of the monitor and whether the image will be printed. Where you would see the difference would be in the tonality of low (shadow) values. I am curious about monochrome conversion from a pixel-shifted, K-3II capture.

Steve
06-07-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The better question might be which of these camera models provides the best monochrome out of camera relying on their native scene modes.
06-07-2015, 03:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted in the first of your polls on this topic, and I see that, unfortunately, you've repeated the silly option that links a Leica M Monochrom and Apple Photos, so it's a bit hard to take this poll seriously.

All the camera options in the poll are existing models that presumably have been modified to remove the Bayer filter and associated firmware, which makes sense to keep the cost down, but really, what value does this poll add to the previous one? The DSLR versus mirrorless options were previously canvassed, so the more useful poll might have been to canvas acceptable price ranges on the hardware side, or maybe preferred monochrome subjects on the usage side. Maybe polling which PP software users would prefer for monochrome work might have also had some benefit for the rest of us.

Having done a great deal of monochrome film work over more than twenty years, I appreciate the medium and its artistic possibilities, but unless I was moved to go back to doing the majority of my photo work in monochrome, I reckon I'd accept the limitations of grey-scale conversion on existing cameras, rather than spend a lot of money on a dedicated camera, increased resolution notwithstanding.
06-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #13

I have several monochrome cameras now: Super Program, K1000, SV, MZ-S, ZX-7, etc., and they use Tri-X, FP4, Acros, etc. to get that genuine monochrome look.
But I would still enjoy a digital FF monochrome. Whether my wallet could handle it is another story.
06-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I voted in the first of your polls on this topic, and I see that, unfortunately, you've repeated the silly option that links a Leica M Monochrom and Apple Photos, so it's a bit hard to take this poll seriously.

All the camera options in the poll are existing models that presumably have been modified to remove the Bayer filter and associated firmware, which makes sense to keep the cost down, but really, what value does this poll add to the previous one? The DSLR versus mirrorless options were previously canvassed, so the more useful poll might have been to canvas acceptable price ranges on the hardware side, or maybe preferred monochrome subjects on the usage side. Maybe polling which PP software users would prefer for monochrome work might have also had some benefit for the rest of us.

Having done a great deal of monochrome film work over more than twenty years, I appreciate the medium and its artistic possibilities, but unless I was moved to go back to doing the majority of my photo work in monochrome, I reckon I'd accept the limitations of grey-scale conversion on existing cameras, rather than spend a lot of money on a dedicated camera, increased resolution notwithstanding.

I can't help but laugh to that incident as i still find it funny and secretly i wish i had enough money to actually own a Leica Monochrome.

And I tried to pick different cameras from different prince ranges to archive that. I was genuinely interested to see what kind of camera people would go for IF they ever wanted a B&W digital camera. I had no intention of trolling, attention seeking or spamming, was just curious to see specific views on each type/price point of a b&w camera.

Nowadays i only use B&W film and most of the photos i take in my own time is B&W anyway. Would i replace my main camera with an only B&W digital camera? NO but it will be a nice addition giving to point of extra IQ possibilities and others. Heck i would even kill for a monochrome Q.
06-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair enough, then. On the strength of that, I've voted for the K-S2M, as it'd be small(ish), relatively cheap, versatile and the 20MP sensor without the Bayer filter could be more than good enough for quite large prints.