Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Love that -3EV focusing capability

It was dark before we were through shooting the formals. The only light was coming from my flashes, and lights from a distant building that were very dim. The two Canikon volunteers had given up. I felt a bit proud of my Pentax K5IIs performance. I don’t know if the Canikon shooter’s cameras could have also focused in the dark, but I was pretty sure they were surprised that my camera could. One had asked me which brand was I using, Canon or Nikon? He was friendly, though. The other had rebuffed my overtures of friendliness, although she was very friendly with the Canon shooter. (He was also about my age, so it wasn’t a young vs old thing.) I was pretty sure that she did not take me seriously, even though I was the paid professional. So, take this you elitist.

06-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dunno, the Canon 6D can focus up to -7EV. Maybe they were using different bodies. Still, impressive performance.
06-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree on the ability of the K5II to lock focus in near dark. I was shooting a dance recital at the weekend, and was able to get focus lock before the stage lights came up. You could only just about make out the outline of the dancers on stage. Very impressive with only an F4 aperture lens. I hate to think how bad some of the photos came out for the people using smart phones.
06-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Dunno, the Canon 6D can focus up to -7EV. Maybe they were using different bodies. Still, impressive performance.
The 6D is rated to -3ev, just like the K-5ii and K-3

Canon EOS 6D In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

06-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where did you find that ??

Edit: ooops ! Someone already answered that.

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
It was dark before we were through shooting the formals. The only light was coming from my flashes, and lights from a distant building that were very dim. The two Canikon volunteers had given up. I felt a bit proud of my Pentax K5IIs performance. I don’t know if the Canikon shooter’s cameras could have also focused in the dark, but I was pretty sure they were surprised that my camera could. One had asked me which brand was I using, Canon or Nikon? He was friendly, though. The other had rebuffed my overtures of friendliness, although she was very friendly with the Canon shooter. (He was also about my age, so it wasn’t a young vs old thing.) I was pretty sure that she did not take me seriously, even though I was the paid professional. So, take this you elitist.

That is very good to be able to pull this out !
Great shots under such lighting conditions.

BTW ... is this fellow the groom?
Lucky him to have met such a beautiful bride!
06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Out of curiosity, what was your flash set up?
06-09-2015, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Where did you find that ??

Edit: ooops ! Someone already answered that.

---------- Post added 06-09-15 at 02:15 PM ----------

That is very good to be able to pull this out !
Great shots under such lighting conditions.

BTW ... is this fellow the groom?
Lucky him to have met such a beautiful bride!
Yes, indeed that was the groom. Gives hope to some of us, eh? He was, however, very charming. And she was perfect: beautiful, polite, unassuming, yet capable of getting a little saucy when the situation called for it as the photo below demonstrates:

---------- Post added 06-09-2015 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Out of curiosity, what was your flash set up?
I had two speed lights in portable soft boxes on each side of the stage, and another speed light behind. Some of the photos come off as dramatic because I shifted my angle without changing the lights. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Time constraints prevent much experimentation, so I just go for it, and decide whether I like it later.
06-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot weddings myself however I just got my K-3 II yesterday, and haven't had it put to work yet - but I can feel the difference already. Can't wait to put it to some proper use.

06-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I had two speed lights in portable soft boxes on each side of the stage, and another speed light behind. Some of the photos come off as dramatic because I shifted my angle without changing the lights. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Time constraints prevent much experimentation, so I just go for it, and decide whether I like it later.
Thanks! I usually do as much available light as possible, but there are situations where I should really get a flash... your photos reminded me why.
06-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a thread about how dark -3EV is. You weren't near -3EV for these photos, but you can still commend the camera.

-3EV is almost total darkness. At ISO100, f/2.0 with a 30 second exposure. -7EV would mean the camera is able to focus on the dimmest stars in the sky, the ones you can't see with your naked eye.
06-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Thanks! I usually do as much available light as possible, but there are situations where I should really get a flash... your photos reminded me why.
I can relate. When I first starting shooting weddings, I realized that I was going to have to make peace with flash photography. Now, I see advantages to using (some) flash in many other situations that I would not normally, such as being outside in harsh, contrasty sunlight in which either the eye sockets are black, or the photos are washed out from over exposure.